Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

juulbx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by juulbx »

KLSymph wrote:We don't typically discuss spoilers here on volumes beyond what has been translated on Baka-Tsuki and Frozen's Lazy Blog, but I can't guarantee that people won't want to, nor would I necessarily stop them from doing so. But if it helps, should people start spoiling I would also read the forum considerably less often, because I'm also trying to avoid future spoilers. I prefer to discover the story as I'm translating/editing in order to capture the initial emotional impression accurately.
Well that's great then! Thanks a lot for your answer. Yeah I really get that last part, but don't you ever have the urge to just go ahead and read the next volumes because you can read Japanese? I would have that so bad :mrgreen:

As I have not read a single page of this forum except this one for previous reasons, I can suggest that there are no real big spoilers until now? If that's the case then I am going to read this 59 page thing :').
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

juulbx wrote:but don't you ever have the urge to just go ahead and read the next volumes because you can read Japanese?
It may not obvious why this could be true, but there is a fairly wide chasm between "can translate Japanese" and "can read Japanese for pleasure".
juulbx wrote:I can suggest that there are no real big spoilers until now?
I can't promise this. I vaguely remember someone as having spoiled a bit of volume nine?
juulbx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by juulbx »

KLSymph wrote: It may not obvious why this could be true, but there is a fairly wide chasm between "can translate Japanese" and "can read Japanese for pleasure"
Hahaha well I understand you now since I just finished reading this whole forum (took me 2 hours wtf). I thought you were a native (lol) but you are still learning even more/better Japanese. I deeply respect you for having the discipline that I do not have/possess (Even though I am not a native english speaker either)!

What are your thoughts on V8 rn? What do you think will happen (V8 CH13 SPOILER)
Spoiler! :
with Ikki now that he seems like he's going to die, which he probably isn't lol. That Amane guy is a real creep btw, but it's kinda sad as well
I want to thank you for everything you have done so far and the years you have spend on translating and editing this wonderful novel! I'm looking forward to a possible Volume 0.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

What are your thoughts on V8 rn?
As a translator and editor, I spend a lot of time scrutinizing the story critically in order to present it to English readers in the best possible way, which leaves me with a relatively dour opinion of it, so I'm not the best person to ask. I tend to wish the story would be more nuanced than it is, but I understand that the target audience isn't necessarily looking for that.
I want to thank you for everything you have done so far and the years you have spend on translating and editing this wonderful novel!
Thank you for your support.
juulbx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by juulbx »

KLSymph wrote: As a translator and editor, I spend a lot of time scrutinizing the story critically in order to present it to English readers in the best possible way, which leaves me with a relatively dour opinion of it, so I'm not the best person to ask. I tend to wish the story would be more nuanced than it is, but I understand that the target audience isn't necessarily looking for that.
Haha well that was another point that I wanted to address. I do notice an enormous difference between yours and theirs. Indeed, I do not care that much because I just really want it to continue and I'm greatful that they're giving me the opportunity to read it, but the readability really went downhill. As I am not a native English speaker, I'm struggeling with the choice of words that the new translator uses (plain to say; it's quite difficult) and the structures of the sentences as well. I talked about it with fellow readers (friends) and they also complimented you on your heavy editing, so kudos for that. I'm still not complaining though, I'm glad someone gives their time to translate it.

You are still editing these translations for it to be on Baka-Tsuki right (correct me if i'm wrong)? That must take a long time for you to make it the way you want it to be :shock:
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

I talked about it with fellow readers (friends) and they also complimented you on your heavy editing, so kudos for that.
Thanks again for the compliment. Editing is a very different skill from translation, so I can't fault other translators for not doing what I do.
That must take a long time for you to make it the way you want it to be
Based on my experience with volume one, getting editing to be close to optimal over the course of a novel takes longer than translating the same stretch of text. Or to put it another way, I learned to translate in order to improve my editing.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volume 8 Character Profiles wrote:

HAGUN ACADEMY WALL NEWSPAPER
Character Topics ___ Writer • Kagami Kusakabe

Amane Shinomiya

■ PROFILE
Affiliation: Akatsuki Academy, Year One
Blazer Rank: A
Noble Art: Nameless Glory
Nickname: Bad Luck
Personal Summary: Senpai's stalker

Attribute chart (starting at far left, going clockwise)
Physical Ability: D
Luck: S
Offensive Power: C
Defensive Power: C
Magic Capacity: A
Magic Control: F

Kagamin Check!
One of Akatsuki Academy's representatives, whose real name is Shion Amamiya. He's the owner of a cheat ability that makes wishes come true, since fortune shifts in his favor just from him wishing it so. But it seems this power that gives him everything also deprives him of the ability to earn anything through effort, and provokes envy in the people around him. …Frankly, I'd definitely not want that kind of power either. After all… getting everything you wish for takes away all of what makes life fun, you know? Someone who achieves victory by desperate effort no matter how tiresome it is, or how long it takes… is better, I think.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volumes seven and eight have been updated on the wiki, so why not start off 2018 with some Rakudai? Happy new year!
Vindex101
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: ToAru

Post by Vindex101 »

KLSymph wrote:Volumes seven and eight have been updated on the wiki, so why not start off 2018 with some Rakudai? Happy new year!
Wait, what's the update with volume 7?
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

I posted the latter half of volume seven, and all of volume eight.
juulbx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by juulbx »

KLSymph wrote:I posted the latter half of volume seven, and all of volume eight.
Thanks for your hard work omg, it's so much better!!! A very, very happy new year to you too! :mrgreen:
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

Thanks, translation is more clear now. I assume you will do the same for Vol 9 but it will be after Frozen finished translating the whole volume instead of after each chapter is finished.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

No, I try to get editing done as soon as possible after material is posted, not after a complete volume. When I finish editing depends on my available time, of course, but volumes seven and eight were somewhat of a special case. The second half of seven and the first half of eight have been edited since late October. I didn't post them because, and this is not an exaggeration, editing them was so boring that I couldn't wring out the last bit of energy to put in the wiki code and upload them to the site, so I left them until after I was done with volume eight. I'm not proud of that, but after working an hour or two a day through December on the last two chapters, I finished a few days before New Year's so I did fit in another entire round of polish for everything before uploading them, and I think it was worth the improvement if only because I caught my typo about Kaga's sex I MEAN SIX arms.
juulbx
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by juulbx »

KLSymph wrote: I didn't post them because, and this is not an exaggeration, editing them was so boring that I couldn't wring out the last bit of energy to put in the wiki code and upload them to the site, so I left them until after I was done with volume eight.
Hahaha you'll probably have more fun with a certain chapter in volume 9 xD

I made a pdf on your V7 btw, I'll post it here in case someone wants it (I'll make a V8 as well probably)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tohoci7zweixf ... 7.pdf?dl=0
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Return to “English”