Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by KLSymph »

AP24 wrote:KLSymph, you're doing one part per day regardless of how long or short the part is, right? Then Vol 6 will be finished in about a week.
Yes, that's the plan. Daily updates of full sections are my gimmick.
AP24 wrote:After you finish Vol 6, will you be starting to work on Vol 7?
Short answer: if I register volume seven's chapters after finishing volume six then yes, otherwise no.

Long answer: I will not start work on volume seven after completing volume six. Unfortunately, I have many obligations. I am many months behind on translating the Rakudai Kishi manga, and as I've mentioned before, previous novel volumes need extensive editing. And these are only my Rakudai-related duties. But putting those aside, I intend to work on volume zero, as per publishing order, before volume seven.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

I noticed some mistakes in Vol 6 Ch 7.

"What Ikki and the others knew of this state of affairs was that in A Block's second round match between Sword Emperor of Wind Ouma Kurogane and Panzer Grizzley Renji Kaga, the victor had been decided." Ouma and Renji didn't fight in the second round, each fought someone else and won. Then later in the third round they will fight. So I think the sentence should be: "What Ikki and the others knew of this state of affairs was that in A Block's second round matches, Sword Emperor of Wind Ouma Kurogane and Panzer Grizzley Renji Kaga both had been decided as the victors."

"Suddenly, Kagami who was watching the match from the audience seats asked something to Kagami who was sitting next to her." I think the first Kagami in the sentence should be Stella.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

AP24 wrote:"What Ikki and the others knew of this state of affairs was that in A Block's second round match between Sword Emperor of Wind Ouma Kurogane and Panzer Grizzley Renji Kaga, the victor had been decided." Ouma and Renji didn't fight in the second round, each fought someone else and won. Then later in the third round they will fight. So I think the sentence should be: "What Ikki and the others knew of this state of affairs was that in A Block's second round matches, Sword Emperor of Wind Ouma Kurogane and Panzer Grizzley Renji Kaga both had been decided as the victors."
Yeah, that sentence was phrased in a way I wasn't used to and I suspected there was some context I was missing, but I figured I'll deal with it when editing. Feel free to fix it if you want.
"Suddenly, Kagami who was watching the match from the audience seats asked something to Kagami who was sitting next to her." I think the first Kagami in the sentence should be Stella.
Oops, that too. In general, if you see something that seems wrong, just go in and make a change on the wiki. You don't need to notify me in the forum. I monitor wiki changes and if anyone makes a change that suggests there is an error or ambiguity, I'll double check the source and reword as necessary.
izik1
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by izik1 »

When is 「 」used vs double quotes? It seems like commentators tend to use the first one (but possibly not always) but there is nothing in the project guidelines relating to that. (as far as I can tell anyway)
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

This idiosyncratic quoting style is a compromise arising from forcing the original Japanese text's quotation symbols into English equivalents. The Japanese source uses quotation symbols in many ways, all of them awful. To answer your specific question regarding speech, double quotes denote speech from a character in the narrative foreground, while 「」 denotes speech outside the narrative foreground, the most common instances being fight commentary from broadcasters and background student gossip. In fact, the Japanese text does not use double quotes for speech at all (even though I know for a fact that Japanese typography has the double quote glyph available), uses 「」 for foreground speech and uses 『』 for non-foreground speech. When speaking strictly of speech, 「」 in Japanese becomes double quotes in English, and 『』 becomes 「」 (I believe there have been exceptions due to special narrative reasons, but none come to mind at this moment). I can't remove 「」 entirely without rewriting prose to recover contextual information. I can't use the Japanese quoting scheme directly because 『』 symbols are noticeably ugly when used frequently. This is the compromise I've come to. It's not ideal, to say nothing of how the symbols are also used in non-speech situations like creating emphasis or denoting newspaper titles.

The project guidelines kind of go into this but I haven't updated the one on the wiki since originally writing them. I do have a more recent version listing the comprehensive cases in which symbols are used, though I haven't reviewed it since the last time I translated in late 2015 either. I haven't posted it publicly because the document is full of definitions that, while necessary, are very tedious and clutter the guidelines page.
izik1
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by izik1 »

KLSymph wrote:This idiosyncratic quoting style is a compromise arising from forcing the original Japanese text's quotation symbols into English equivalents. The Japanese source uses quotation symbols in many ways, all of them awful. To answer your specific question regarding speech, double quotes denote speech from a character in the narrative foreground, while 「」 denotes speech outside the narrative foreground, the most common instances being fight commentary from broadcasters and background student gossip. In fact, the Japanese text does not use double quotes for speech at all (even though I know for a fact that Japanese typography has the double quote glyph available), uses 「」 for foreground speech and uses 『』 for non-foreground speech. When speaking strictly of speech, 「」 in Japanese becomes double quotes in English, and 『』 becomes 「」 (I believe there have been exceptions due to special narrative reasons, but none come to mind at this moment). I can't remove 「」 entirely without rewriting prose to recover contextual information. I can't use the Japanese quoting scheme directly because 『』 symbols are noticeably ugly when used frequently. This is the compromise I've come to. It's not ideal, to say nothing of how the symbols are also used in non-speech situations like creating emphasis or denoting newspaper titles.

The project guidelines kind of go into this but I haven't updated the one on the wiki since originally writing them. I do have a more recent version listing the comprehensive cases in which symbols are used, though I haven't reviewed it since the last time I translated in late 2015 either. I haven't posted it publicly because the document is full of definitions that, while necessary, are very tedious and clutter the guidelines page.
Ah Thanks for the explanation.
nahucirujano
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nahucirujano »

KLSymph, I have a doubt since long ago.
About Reisen Hiraga's nickname. I noticed that in volume 4 it was translated as "Pierrot".
But from volume 5 it was translated as "Puppeteer".
This term is more accurate or is it that the name in Japanese can be read in both ways?
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

nahucirujano wrote:KLSymph, I have a doubt since long ago.
About Reisen Hiraga's nickname. I noticed that in volume 4 it was translated as "Pierrot".
This term is more accurate or is it that the name in Japanese can be read in both ways?
You asked this last April and I answered it two and a half hours later. Been holding on to that doubt a bit long, no? :D

To expand on my answer, I still haven't actually read volume five, but in volume six chapter seven Reisen is again referred to with 道化師 ("clown") and no furigana for "Pierrot", though I've again just made that "Pierrot" to be consistent with how I handle similar terms without furigana (most notably heading terms like Blazer and Noble Art in the profiles use only kanji, but they are clearly referring to the special terms expressed by their missing furigana). I have never seen the term "Puppeteer" in kanji or kana used as Reisen's nickname. Without reading the volume, I have to assume it is Disavaterax's own take on it, and if that's the case then when I edit volume five it will most likely be changed to "Pierrot" for consistency with the rest of the translation unless someone can make an excellent argument why it shouldn't be.
nahucirujano
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nahucirujano »

KLSymph wrote:
nahucirujano wrote:KLSymph, I have a doubt since long ago.
You asked this last April and I answered it two and a half hours later. Been holding on to that doubt a bit long, no? :D

To expand on my answer, I still haven't actually read volume five, but in volume six chapter seven Reisen is again referred to with 道化師 ("clown") and no furigana for "Pierrot", though I've again just made that "Pierrot" to be consistent with how I handle similar terms without furigana (most notably heading terms like Blazer and Noble Art in the profiles use only kanji, but they are clearly referring to the special terms expressed by their missing furigana). I have never seen the term "Puppeteer" in kanji or kana used as Reisen's nickname. Without reading the volume, I have to assume it is Disavaterax's own take on it, and if that's the case then when I edit volume five it will most likely be changed to "Pierrot" for consistency with the rest of the translation unless someone can make an excellent argument why it shouldn't be.
My god, you're right!
You know, I actually had the feeling that I have already asked it, but I didn't check, and I thought it was just a feeling and did it nevertheless xD
So sorry, really.
Thanks for resuming the translation and I'm looking forward the rest.
AP24
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by AP24 »

Thanks for finishing Vol 6, KLSymph. So will you start working on Vol 0 soon or you have some other TL work to do first?
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

AP24 wrote:Thanks for finishing Vol 6, KLSymph. So will you start working on Vol 0 soon or you have some other TL work to do first?
This question comes too close to asking when the next chapter will be translated, which is forbidden by Baka-Tsuki forum rules, so I must refrain from answering.
izik1
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by izik1 »

AP24 wrote:Thanks for finishing Vol 6, KLSymph. So will you start working on Vol 0 soon or you have some other TL work to do first?
KLSymph wrote:
AP24 wrote:KLSymph, you're doing one part per day regardless of how long or short the part is, right? Then Vol 6 will be finished in about a week.
Yes, that's the plan. Daily updates of full sections are my gimmick.
AP24 wrote:After you finish Vol 6, will you be starting to work on Vol 7?
Short answer: if I register volume seven's chapters after finishing volume six then yes, otherwise no.

Long answer: I will not start work on volume seven after completing volume six. Unfortunately, I have many obligations. I am many months behind on translating the Rakudai Kishi manga, and as I've mentioned before, previous novel volumes need extensive editing. And these are only my Rakudai-related duties. But putting those aside, I intend to work on volume zero, as per publishing order, before volume seven.
I think you missed that ;)
EDIT: forgot to refresh the page before replying didn't notice KLSymph already did.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Incidentally, confirming that I'm doing daily updates while already doing daily updates, and interpreting a question to be asking about which volume instead of about time and then squeezing in a bit of information on intent, are basically as close to the line as I'm willing to step regarding the "no asking when's the next chapter" rule. I take that rule pretty seriously, to avoid encouraging people getting into trouble.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volume six complete.
izik1
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by izik1 »

KLSymph wrote:Volume six complete.
good luck on whatever you do next. Do you mind if it gets marked as complete in the registration? (you probably do as it isn't marked)

Return to “English”