Contractions?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Contractions?

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

I have noticed, reading through the novels, that most words that would normally be contracted when speaking ("you'll" "I'm" "she's" etc.) are left in the full form ("you will" "I am" "she is" etc.).

I really can't imagine Kyon or Haruhi speaking in such an overly formal tone. Maybe Nagato and Koizumi, but...

There's nothing exactly wrong with this, but...

Does anyone mind if I edit the novels to actually have contractions?

(I'm putting this in the Vol. 1 forum because that seems to have the least contractions used.)
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Also, in the original when the "transfer student" is first mentioned, because of the way gender pronouns work in Japanese, we don't know his gender, which is addressed later. However, in the translation, he's referred to as "he" from the beginning, which makes Kyon's question about the "transfer student's" gender redundant.

Needs fixing?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

The contractiosn thing isn't a big deal, except in cases where emphasis or formality is needed. I'd leave it, since it does no harm and it would be a lot of work to fix (<-- lazy)

The gender thing, though, should probably be fixed.
=Smidge=
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Smidge204 wrote:The contractiosn thing isn't a big deal, except in cases where emphasis or formality is needed. I'd leave it, since it does no harm and it would be a lot of work to fix (<-- lazy)

The gender thing, though, should probably be fixed.
=Smidge=
I have no problems with lots of work, believe me.

As for the gender thing, I'll try to figure out a way to pull it off without sounding too awkward.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

I thought there was a whole post dedicated to fixing the transfer student gender thing over in the Volume 9 forum a month or two ago. Somebody didn't go back and try to "correct" the things they changed, did they? -_-
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Yeah, me and another guy were trying to make Koizumi's statement the first time they find out about Sasaki.

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”