[ch 1] the only explanation I could give was that I was goi

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 1] the only explanation I could give was that I was goi

Post by Da~Mike »

the only explanation I could give was that I was going nuts - by the time I realized it, I found myself talking to Suzumiya Haruhi.

(alt translation from Cruzz's site: http://koti.mbnet.fi/~cruzz/haruhi/Haruhi.html)
At this point I must have been possessed by some sort of evil spirit, I can't think of any other reason for this. When I came back to my senses I was talking with Haruhi.

The extra bit of meaning in Cruzz's translation is "possessed by some sort of evil spirit" -- which forms a nice parallel with the corresponding "when I came back to my senses." This small bit of wit really isn't that crucial, but I thought I'd throw this in for completeness.

Is this same parallelism there in the original?

Possible change:
the only explanation I could give was that I was going nuts - by the time I regained my sanity, I found myself talking to Suzumiya Haruhi.

--The naming game 13:47, 1 May 2006 (PDT)

The title sentence is quite amusing if misinterpreted. You could interpret that what Kyon's saying is that by the time he realised he was going nuts, he found himself talking to Haruhi. But then again, it could be part of the original novel's humour. Both Cruzz's and The naming game's interpretations imply that despite Kyon regaining his sanity/senses (when he was previously unsure of), he still found himself talking to Haruhi.

It all seems fairly confusing I think... Okay, so here are the possible meanings of the sentence: Kyon thinks he's going crazy:

* and by the time he realised that he was, he found himself talking to Haruhi
* and by the time he regained his senses/sanity, he found himself talking to Haruhi
* and before he could mentally establish the fact that he was talking to Haruhi, he was already talking to her.

The actual phrase used in the Japanese book would be of an enormous help (or a literal translation of the original source phrase). Could one of the translators please provide this? Thanks.

--Da~Mike 01:06, 7 May 2006 (GMT)

I've just rewritten this sentance and while it still flows a bit awkwardly, I think it captures some of Kyon's breathless narative style (which is captured quite impressively by his voice actor in the Anime). It could probably still be improved, for which a close translation of the original Japanse would be helpful.

--BlckKnght 13:24, 30 May 2006 (PDT)

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”