[ch 1] "Kyon, we are good friends right...?"

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 1] "Kyon, we are good friends right...?"

Post by Da~Mike »

"Kyon, we are good friends right...?"

The paragraph's around the quote above have be rather confused. Here's the whole section:
"Please." She put her palms together and asked sincerely. Faced with her request, I could only give vague responses like "erm", "ahh...". Asakura took that as a yes and showed her yellow-tulip-like smile, and then went back to the other girls. After seeing that the other girls were looking at me, my heart fell to the bottom of a canyon. "Kyon, we are good friends right...?" Taniguchi stared at me suspiciously and asked: "What the hell is going on here?" Even Kunikida, with his eyes closed and arms crossed on his chest, nodded. Oh my god! Why am I surrounded by a bunch of idiots?

I'm rewriting this as:
"Please?" she asked sincerely, putting her palms together. Faced with her request, I could only give vague responses like "erm", "ahh...". Asakura took that as a yes and showed her yellow-tulip-like smile, and then went back to the other girls. After seeing that the other girls were looking at me, my heart fell to the bottom of a canyon. "Kyon, we are good friends right...?" Taniguchi asked, stareding at me suspiciously. "What the hell is going on here?" Even Kunikida, with his eyes closed and arms crossed on his chest, nodded. Oh my god! Why am I surrounded by a bunch of idiots?

I've changed the attribution of one of the lines of dialogue, as it doesn't make sense to me that Taniguchi would ask "What the hell is going on here?". Rather, he wants to have some of Kyon's sudden popularity with the girls rub off on him. (Of course he later goes the other way, not wanting Kyon to pass on the "Haruhi virus" to him.) Have I misunderstood the situation? Could somebody with the Japanese novel confirm my new version? There are probably a few other confusing passages caused by similar structure where a quote is separated from the attribution in an unnatural way. Some of them work, but others don't.

--BlckKnght 13:24, 30 May 2006 (PDT)

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”