[ch 1] Taniguchi had probably experienced the same thing him

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 1] Taniguchi had probably experienced the same thing him

Post by Da~Mike »

Taniguchi had probably experienced the same thing himself.

I'm not sure if I understand this sentance correctly in the current version. Kyon thinks that Taniguchi was one of the guys Haruhi dumped?

If so, I suggest a change to something like:
Taniguchi seemed to be speaking from experience.

--BlckKnght 23:29, 3 May 2006 (PDT)

Compared to the original translation, your suggestion seems to be better BlckKnght. I think it is simply because the original of "Taniguchi had probably experienced the same thing himself." could imply that he was dumped but not neccessarily by Haruhi whereas with "Taniguchi seemed to be speaking from experience.", it becomes obvious that he got the "5-minute dump" from Haruhi.

I think the change would suit the context better.

--Da~Mike 00:25, 7 May 2006 (GMT)

Well, that's the question: Did Taniguchi actually get dumped by Haruhi, or does Kyon merely consider such a possibility?

Maybe something more like "Was Taniguchi speaking from experience?" would preserve the ambiguity. Could a translator take a look at that section?

--BlckKnght 06:37, 8 May 2006 (PDT)

Although both our suggested interpretations would connotate the same thing (that Kyon would be guessing that Taniguchi got dumped by Haruhi), the degree by which he would be doing so is not as strong in your suggested interpretation. By this, I mean that this sentence "Taniguchi seemed to be speaking from experience." implies that Kyon would be inclined to assume that Taniguchi got dumped whereas "Was Taniguchi speaking from experience?" impies that Kyon is largely unsure whether he was dumped by Haruhi.

Again, the actual source text would be invaluable to decide which would suit the context better.

However, if I had to choose which sentence would suit Kyon as a character, I would think the sentence "Taniguchi seemed to be speaking from experience." would fit the cynical and sarcastic nature of Kyon much better than "Was Taniguchi speaking from experience?", which would be something a "nicer person" would think to themselves, such as a character like Mikuru.

--Da~Mike 21:56, 8 May 2006 (GMT)

I made the change, using the first (non-questioning) form.

--BlckKnght 13:24, 30 May 2006 (PDT)

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”