[ch 3] Asahina shook her head like a sea wave, and then star

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 3] Asahina shook her head like a sea wave, and then star

Post by Da~Mike »

Asahina shook her head like a sea wave, and then stared glary-eyed at the transfer student.

Request translator clarification on:
Koizumi asked caringly, Asahina shook her head like a sea wave, and then stared glary-eyed at the transfer student. Hmph! I just don't like the way Asahina looks at him like that.

I assume "glary" refers to glaring, but in a positive light, hence my suggested change:
Koizumi asked caringly, Asahina shook her head like a sea wave, and then stared starry-eyed at the transfer student. Hmph! I just don't like the way Asahina looks at him like that.

--The naming game 18:53, 2 May 2006 (PDT)

Here's the original text:
声をかけた古泉に朝比奈さんは首振り人形のような反応を見せて、その転校生をまぶしげな目で見上げた。む。なんか気に入らない目つきだぞ、それは。

Koe o kaketa Koizumi ni Asahina-san wa kubiburi ningyou no you na hannou o misete, sono tenkousei o mabushige na me de miageta. Mu. Nanka ki ni iranai me tsuki da zo, sore wa.
I make this out as:
Hearing Koizumi's voice, Asahina reacted by turning her head doll-like and looking up at the exchange student with a radiant gaze. Hmph! That's pretty annoying, that look.

You'll notice that this is fairly different from the first translation -- maybe it's an artifact of the Chinese version? Anyway, I'll make this change in the text.

--Freak Of Nature 16:15, 3 May 2006 (PDT)

That's pretty interesting, actually. Now I'm curious as to the literal meaning of the Chinese translation.

--The naming game 13:17, 4 May 2006 (PDT)

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”