[ch 5] Grammar Corrections

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 5] Grammar Corrections

Post by Da~Mike »

Grammar Corrections

"As you well know, this resulted in Suzumiya-san having Asahina Mikuru, Nagato Yuki and even me joining her club."

-This should be "and even I" because the pronoun is used before an action verb ("joining") with "having" as a linking verb indicating that the pronoun used should be in the nominative case.

-I disagree. To make the mistake easily distinguishable, simplify the sentence to "...this resulted in Suzumiya-san having I [join] her club." This is most obviously incorrect. Compare that to: "...this resulted in Suzumiya having me [join] her club." and it is very simple to see which is the correct sentence. I can't explain the grammar very well, but I suppose I'll give it a try (and possibly fail miserably). First off, linking verbs identify or describe the subject, so "having" is not acting as a linking verb. The subject of the sentence is not the speaker (I), which is what you seem to believe it to be, but Suzumiya-san. Thus it is necessary to use objective case, changing "I" to "me". Mikuru, Yuki, and Koizumi are all direct objects of the transative verb "have", and "joining" is a transative verb with the direct object being "her club". --Nandeyanen 06:42, 20 July 2006 (PDT)

"Man! For someone who's just turned 15, having to face a turning point in his life is just a bit too early!" -who's should be who

-who's stands for "who has" so it sounds fine: "For someone who has just turned 15"

(contributed by anonymous users)
Astral Realm

Re: [ch 5] Grammar Corrections

Post by Guest »

Not technically a grammar issue, more diction, but...

"I had wanted to say the job transfer was just an excuse, they had escaped overnight from their *debtors* after leaving behind a mountain of debt, but I decided not to."

That word debtors should be creditors. Common error - a debtor is someone who owes you money, and a creditor is someone you owe money to.
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by quigonkenny »

Guest wrote:Not technically a grammar issue, more diction, but...

"I had wanted to say the job transfer was just an excuse, they had escaped overnight from their *debtors* after leaving behind a mountain of debt, but I decided not to."

That word debtors should be creditors. Common error - a debtor is someone who owes you money, and a creditor is someone you owe money to.
Actually, that's not the only problem with that sentence.

"I had wanted to say the job transfer was just an excuse, and that they had escaped overnight from their creditors after leaving behind a mountain of debt, but I decided not to."

or

"I had wanted to say the job transfer was just an excusethey had escaped overnight from their creditors after leaving behind a mountain of debtbut I decided not to."
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Da~Mike wrote:Grammar Corrections

"As you well know, this resulted in Suzumiya-san having Asahina Mikuru, Nagato Yuki and even me joining her club."

-This should be "and even I" because the pronoun is used before an action verb ("joining") with "having" as a linking verb indicating that the pronoun used should be in the nominative case.

-I disagree. To make the mistake easily distinguishable, simplify the sentence to "...this resulted in Suzumiya-san having I [join] her club." This is most obviously incorrect. Compare that to: "...this resulted in Suzumiya having me [join] her club." and it is very simple to see which is the correct sentence. I can't explain the grammar very well, but I suppose I'll give it a try (and possibly fail miserably). First off, linking verbs identify or describe the subject, so "having" is not acting as a linking verb. The subject of the sentence is not the speaker (I), which is what you seem to believe it to be, but Suzumiya-san. Thus it is necessary to use objective case, changing "I" to "me". Mikuru, Yuki, and Koizumi are all direct objects of the transative verb "have", and "joining" is a transative verb with the direct object being "her club". --Nandeyanen 06:42, 20 July 2006 (PDT)
Actually, I don't think me is correct here because joining is not correct here. Having and joining disagree with each other. The sentence should be: "As you well know, this resulted in Suzumiya-san having Asahina Mikuru, Nagato Yuki, and even I join her club."

(Note: I added the oxford comma because I prefer it; it is correct with or without it)
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/myself.html

"I" am the subject, but the object is "me."

In this example, "me" is the correct word to use since the speaker (Kyon) is not the subject of the sentence.
=Smidge=
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Wow. I'm wrong. It's been over a year since I've been bested in a contest of grammar. Be warned Smidge: you shall not win again.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Beware the talking cat wrote:Wow. I'm wrong. It's been over a year since I've been bested in a contest of grammar. Be warned Smidge: you shall not win again.
...but he will.

:P :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”