[ch 6] childhood girlfriends

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 6] childhood girlfriends

Post by Da~Mike »

childhood girlfriends

A discrepancy I noted (Someone else can probably catch some others if they go over the episode again) between a certain fansub of episode 10 (corresponding to this chapter) and the current translation.

In the anime, when Haruhi complains about not having eaten,

* Kyon teases her by saying something like "Why don't you say that again, except like a childhood friend who's trying to hide her embarrassment?" --
* and she calls him an idiot for insinuating that.

In the current translation,

* he simply thinks to himself that she looks like one of those childhood friends.
* And she calls him an idiot because he's just standing there.

Could someone confirm which is the actual interaction? I really want it to be the anime version, but there have been examples where the anime has spiced up dialogue/action compared with the novels.

--The naming game 16:51, 9 June 2006 (PDT)

I am not sure if I got this right, but in the anime version, Haruhi had said 「アホなこと言ってないで」. In the novel, she said 「アホなことほざいてないで」

From what I can tell, in the novel Haruhi had made use of the verb ほざく (to sputter, grumble, mumble) and in the anime she had said 言って (to say). Maybe a slight change on the dialogue itself but the meaning is more or less the same. That should justify a change that is similar to the anime, but is more rude and maybe in some dialect of sorts.

On that note, I must imagine Aya Hirano had some serious bloopers re: trying to say the novel line, and thus during the recording they decided to change it to 言って.

--velocity7, 20:26 EDT, 9 Jun 2006

While the sentence with "itte" certainly seems easier to say than with "mazaite", it doesn't seem quite in tongue twister territory either way... but from what I know of recording, if something can go wrong, it will, and anything that can reduce the number of takes needed, is helpful, otherwise things start sounding tired.

(on the other hand, you did hint that it's a kind of dialect type thing, so perhaps it's hard to get it to sound natural unless you're "hip" to that dialect.)

(On another note, have you heard the audio track where Ayanami Rei's voice actress speaks REALLY fast? Now that's what I call talking.)

Er, one more thing. You as much as confirmed it indirectly, but -- since Haruhi says essentially "don't say stupid things" in both versions, that means that Kyon was actually teasing her in the novel version too?

(I wouldn't feel comfortable making the change unless I was reasonably sure.)

--The naming game 19:05, 9 June 2006 (PDT)

Yes.

--velocity7, 23:01 EDT, 9 Jun 2006

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”