[ch 7] General Translation Issues

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 7] General Translation Issues

Post by Da~Mike »

Attack of the Blue Giant

* "I'm counting everything on you" (Nagato)

The text uses 賭ける, so I'm changing that to I'm betting everything on you.

* "I quickly pushed Haruhi down to the floor"

I couldn't resist changing "to" to "on".

* "Man, this is too lame"

I gave this line its own paragraph. It deserves it.

* "You'd look great in a ponytail"

「似合ってるぞ。」 I changed it to present tense. --Eleutheria 12:27, 6 May 2006 (PDT)

Someone appears to have a liking for "Sealed Dimensions" and "Deities", which is blatantly apparent in the chapter.

Please adhere to the Format/Style Guideline before making any edits. Furthermore, please note any edits you have made and justify your reasons for doing so in the discussion page for each respective chapter.

Thank you.

--Da~Mike 21:12, 6 May 2006 (GMT)

I think thats Kinny (The Translator) initial translated term, unless im mistaken. As you well know, Translators do not have stick to the Guidelines for translations, as we feel it will slow them down if they have to check themselves, thus allow the Editors to do the job for them. On the other hand, if it was altered by another user, then i will have ask you to cease, and to follow the guidelines.

Thank you.

Onizuka-gto 18:54, 6 May 2006 (PDT)

Besides, she's Suzumiya's subordinate.

I'm curious if the pronoun in this sentance is correct. The next sentance goes on: "If you're a normal high schooler, then I'm as normal as a flea."

It seems to me that "she" should actually be "you", if Taniguchi is talking about Kyon, rather than Yuki. From my limited knowledge of Japanese it seems like the subject of the sentance might have been left implicit, making it easy for a translator to make a mistake filling it in. Would somebody with the Japanese novels mind checking?

--BlckKnght 20:05, 7 May 2006 (PDT)

なにより涼宮の手下でもあるしな。 "Naniyori Suzumiya no teshita de mo arushi na."

In the Japanese novel the subject of the sentence is dropped, but the way I'm reading it, I would guess it was picking up the subject from before Yuki was mentioned, which would be Kyon. Unfortunately, my Japanese isn't the best, but I would guess it's refering to Kyon.

--Kumarei

Ok, I've gone ahead and changed it from "she's" to "you're". It makes a lot more sense that way.

--BlckKnght 19:39, 8 May 2006 (PDT)

As I reached the stairs leading to the school entrance, I was sort of grateful to Taniguchi for having a conversation with me, as the heat had cooled down after talking to him.

This line doesn't make sense in context, as in the previous section Kyon and Taniguchi had already climbed to the second floor. Is he approaching the entrace to his classroom instead?

--BlckKnght 20:11, 7 May 2006 (PDT)

"Taniguchi walked up to the second floor"

The corresponding Japanese is:

マヌケ面が第二段階に進行する。 "Manuke omo ga daini dankai ni shinkou suru."

I'm fairly sure that the line "Taniguchi walked up to the second floor" is completely wrong. As clearly as I can make out, it says: "His foolish features advance to a second stage." As close as I can make out (without taking the time to do an exact translation), the next sentence is "His face was like a nanpa (a guy who picks up young girls), the kind young schoolgirls have to be careful of, and he said, [...]"

I can definately see how the mistake was made, since the sentence is pretty weird, and it mentions second stage (a phrase which contains 'second floor').

The sentence "As I reached the stairs leading to the school entrance, I was sort of grateful to Taniguchi for having a conversation with me, as the heat had cooled down after talking to him." makes more sense, then, although the second part sounds a bit weird. I'll check it tomorrow. Right now, I'll change the earlier sentence and get some sleep. If someone could link the word "nanpa" in the corrected sentence to a translation note (not exactly sure how to do it myself), I'd be grateful, and I'll fill in a more comprehensive note on nanpa tomorrow.

--Kumarei

I agree with Kumarei here, the translation ought to be something along the lines of what he said. To make the text flow better, I suggest replacing the current:
His foolish features advance to a second stage. His face was like a nanpa, the kind young schoolgirls have to be careful of, and he said,

with this more streamlined version:
The already foolish look on his face went up a notch. He looked like a nanpa, the kind young schoolgirls have to be careful of, and he said,
I've changed the text to reflect this. --Freak Of Nature 11:27, 9 May 2006 (PDT)

We passed by the shoe lockers and walked silently in the school building.

changed to "We passed by the shoe lockers and silently entered the school building." since the prior wording felt awkward and I kept reading it as "walked silently through the school"
Dogtato 15:33, 8 May 2006 (PDT)

Or maybe I've been struck by a toxic electric wave?

Was this translated from the original phrase "dokudenpa" (毒電波)? If so you might want to add a translator's note about the origin of the phrase - see [http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%AF%92% ... B%E6%B3%A2] for details :) 67.171.180.249 14:35, 12 July 2006 (PDT)
[email protected]
Astral Realm

Re: [ch 7] General Translation Issues

Post by [email protected] »

マヌケ面が第二段階に進行する。 "Manuke omo ga daini dankai ni shinkou suru." Not 'manuke omo' but 'manuke zura'. Zura is face. Also 'zura' is used, like this, after noun. Before noun, it is changed to 'tsura'. Though meaning 'face' it is not usually used , because it sometimes shows unagreeable feeling.

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”