[ch 7] Classroom scene - Where Haruhi is asking Kyon about

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Da~Mike
Astral Realm

[ch 7] Classroom scene - Where Haruhi is asking Kyon about

Post by Da~Mike »

Classroom scene - Where Haruhi is asking Kyon about Mikuru's next costume

I feel that the 2rd last sentence of that section:

While fanning her with my book, she yelled, "I'm so bored!"

Is a bit ambiguous - Is Kyon fanning her with his book, or did Haruhi fan herself with Kyon's book? Kyon refusing to fan her a few lines earlier seems add to the confusion.

---

Well... I don't feel it is ambiguous at all (if she were fanning herself, it would be worded "while fanning herself with my book...") --Proto

Well, Kyon did say he refused, but probably decided to fan Haruhi anyway seeing how depressed she is.

--Kinny Riddle

Well... I don't feel it is ambiguous either... just the other way around than Proto does. If Kyon was fanning her, it would be worded "While I was fanning her with my book..."; like it is now, the absence of a subject in the first part of the sentence implies the subject of the second part is shared by the first part. --a random reader

---

Here's Kinny's translation from Chinese:
"You look like an idiot."

Haruhi scolded. Hey, weren't you the one changing the subject? But I guess I really did look like an idiot, so I didn't argue with her. While fanning her with my book, she yelled,

"I'm so bored!"

She drooped downwards like a cartoon character.

The whole passage, in the original Japanese, is:
「マヌケ面」
と決めつけた。お前が話を振ったんだろうが。多分その通りだろうから抗議するつもりはないが。セーラー服の胸元から教科書で風を送り込みながら、

「ほんと、退屈」

ハルヒは口を見事なへの字にした。 まるでマンガのキャラクターみたいな。

Which reads as follow in romaji:

[/quote]"manukedzura"

to kimetsuketa. omae ga hanashi o futtandarou ka. tabun sono toori darou kara kougi suru tsumori wa nai ga. seiraafuku no munamoto kara kyoukasho de kaze o okurikominagara,

"honto, taikutsu"

Haruhi wa kuchi o migoto na heno-ji ni shita. maru de manga no kyarakutaa mitai na.
[/quote]

I make this out as:
"You look like an idiot."

Haruhi decided. Hey, weren't you the one changing the subject? But I guess she was right, so there was no point arguing with her. While fanning the breast of her school uniform with a textbook,

"I'm so bored!"

Haruhi's mouth was perfectly like a heno-ji. She looked like a cartoon character.

So what's a heno-ji, I hear you ask...? It's a children's drawing, full name へのへのもへじ (henohenomoheji) made with those hiragana characters, to form a figure of a human face. Have a look at this Wikipedia page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henohenomoheji], which shows how it's made.

I've edited the text to reflect this.

--Freak Of Nature 08:02, 5 May 2006 (PDT)

I just made some pretty broad edits to this section, trying to make it flow better in English. The paragraphs above now go:
Haruhi seemed to guess what I was thinking and scowled at me. She then lightly flipped her hair behind her ears.

"You look like an idiot," Haruhi decided.

Hey, weren't you the one bringing up the subject? But perhaps she was right, so there's no point in arguing with her.

While fanning the neck of her uniform with a textbook, she blurts out, "I'm so bored!"

Haruhi's mouth was perfectly like a heno-ji. She looked like a comic book character.

Most of the changes are pretty small, but put together I think they make things much more readable. I'm not crazy about adding in "she said" to the line just before "I'm so bored", but without it I could not think of a way to make the two parts fit together. Please be bold [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ting_pages] in editing, if you think you can further improve things.

--BlckKnght 22:59, 7 May 2006 (PDT)
[email protected]
Astral Realm

Re: [ch 7] Classroom scene - Where Haruhi is asking Kyon about

Post by [email protected] »

"You look like an Kunikida," Haruhi decided. I'm sorry I don't understand this translation.
"manuke dzura" is a short pronunciation and in this part Haruhi is calling names to Kyon. So I would translate this part as "You stupid!' or like that. I once read the novel 'Suzumiya Haruhi no Yu-utsu' in Japanese. I am a Japanese adult. I am very surprised to know that you are trying to translate this book into English, as this book is somewhat full of unique Japanese expressions. I recall I enjoyed reading this because of the auther's unique expression of Japanese.

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”