[ch 4] Miscellaneous translation notes

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

[ch 4] Miscellaneous translation notes

Post by onizuka-gto »

Volume 01, Chapter 04 Discussion

Once it's all over, a post-mortem will be held to review and prepare for further developments.

Post-mortem? That sort of suggests a death, although I know what is trying to be said, but it might give the wrong meaning to other people. I wonder if there is another word we could substitute this with? Would anyone like to give a suggestion? --Adelina 07:44, 22 April 2006 (PDT)

In the military, they use the term "After Action Report" (abbr. AAR). --Freak Of Nature 10:10, 22 April 2006 (PDT)

Debriefing? --velocity7 23:03, 22 April 2006 (EDT)

Review. --Freak Of Nature 02:22, 23 April 2006 (PDT)

Review is already said in the sentence, but we could change that. Out of which do you think Haruhi would be the most likely to say? --Adelina 05:41, 23 April 2006 (PDT)

To be honest, I think "debriefing" fits in very well in the sentence. It also suits the quasi-militaristic secret superspy-agent-hero-fantasy world that the SOS Brigade has its roots in. "Once it's all over, a debriefing will be held to review and prepare for further developments." See? It looks good. Kudos to velocity7 for le mot juste.--Freak Of Nature 05:54, 23 April 2006 (PDT)

The chapters are getting shorter, aren't they.

--Thelastguardian 01:41, 22 April 2006 (PDT)

"No comment" vs. "Classified Information" (velocity7)

Kinny Riddle's Lines:
"Just how old are you really?"
"No comment~"

Original Japanese Text:
「あなたの本当の歳を教えて下さい」
「禁則事項です」

Properly Translated Text:
"Please tell me your real age."
"It's classified information~"

For that matter, anytime Mikuru says "No comment", it's actually "classified information". I kind of picked up that this was not exactly the right line, after seeing episode 5 of the anime, so I did an OCR on the raw scans I have.

"I can't take it anymore!" (velocity7)

The actual line is 「やれやれ」, which is more like the "Oh boy" sort of response. If there was anything like this before, again, it needs to be fixed.

I would interpret 「やれやれ」 to be one of the following:

* "Oh great..."
* "My my..."
* "Oh, here we go..."
* "Oh man..."
* "Oh bother..."
* "Oh bugger..." (British colloquial)

Basically, I think 「やれやれ」tends to be used like a verbal sigh.

"Oh boy...", like you suggested above, fits in fine as well.

--Da~Mike 21:58, 9 May 2006 (GMT)

"Sorry, I'm on my way!" (velocity7)

The actual line is 「すまん、今起きたとこなんだ」, which is "Sorry, I just woke up just now!"

Miscellaneous (velocity7)

There were some undocumented changes I also made, which are mostly stylistic and from what I could tell fit the novel text ordering a lot. The Japanese novel, that is.

--velocity7 17:49, 5 May 2006 (EDT)

English Grammar Changes

In the end, me and Nagato were grouped together, while the other three were in another group.

-this should be "Nagato and I" because the pronoun is before the verb, indicating it should be in the nominative case.

--(anonymous contributor)
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

The official Taiwanese translators must've been on crack when they used "No comment" instead of "Classified information". I simply translated what's being written, it's up to you guys with the original text to fix problems like these. :D

Return to “Volume 1 - The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第一巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱”