Spice and Wolf Novels Licensed in the U.S.

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Spice and Wolf Novels Licensed in the U.S.

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Okay, lets look at it from another viewpoint...

For interested readers that knows of S&W and wanted to get the novel, firstly, they won't expect such a cover, and might be embarassing to even get it. I mean, how many of you readers out there would happily show this cover to others? As compared to the illustration cover?

For new readers, if they are attracted by the cover, only to see illustrations that are as what we know, would they be pleased to want to support the novel further? Since such a cover may attract more people interested in real-pics that show parts of the female body, as compared to the great story and Horo as we know it?

Comments anyone?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

well, i can understand the new direction they are trying to take with the cover...

basically, if they would have kept it with the original cover, the only people who would buy it would be the few people who are into anime/manga and then again they would have to be in the niche for light novels.

a niche within a niche isnt going to sell very well.

so they are trying to delve into the vast un-tapped market of novel-reading consumers, many of which would have been put off by the original cover thinking it would be some sort of children's book or something.

so they are trying to solve this by replacing the cover to make it more appealing to english-speaking audiences

most people who would have bought it with the original cover, would have already known about it coming out, and will probably buy it regardless of original or new cover. so with the new cover they are trying to market it to new people

as for the cover itself:

i think the new cover looks good, when thought through the perspective of a non-anime/manga fan. it is a picture that would capture a passerby walking down the isles for a new book, and would interest them instead of put them off as the original cover would(again through non-anime/mange perspective).

though i will admit, that smile is really off-putting.
Isyar
Astral Realm

Post by Isyar »

Whatever will happen, I hope you will still translate this japanese novel to english!!!!! Onegai
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Isyar wrote:Whatever will happen, I hope you will still translate this japanese novel to english!!!!! Onegai
One, isn't the translation still on-going?
Two, due to copyright issues, we would say that we would lock edits to volumes that are released. And in order to prevent trouble, we would kindly ask you to get the original english translation from the respective companies.
Spoiler! :
Well, whether you really choose to go and buy, or just read here, we cant control that can we? Oh well, its your choice. But i HAD to say that just to prevent trouble. haha
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
jokersan
Astral Realm

Post by jokersan »

Hey ive just recently discovered your site when looking for the light novel of Spice an Wolf and im extremely thankful for the translations you have been doing so far and hope that you keep up the good work. :)
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

So in the end they didnt change their cover or provided an other cover as a second choice?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”