Poll - Changes in Spice And Wolf Guidelines

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you agree with changes?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:28 am

I agree
58%
I disagree
39%
I do not know
3%

Total votes: 31

Smidge204
Astral Realm

Re: Poll - Changes in Spice And Wolf Guidelines

Post by Smidge204 »

I am RE-POSTING my post (hooray for Firefox page history remembering the contents of form fields!) because it is not a flame but a solid rebuttal of Darknemo2000's claims. It's unfortunate that he would abuse his moderator status to prevent himself from looking bad. (Fair warning Darknemo2000: Green beats Blue).

Original post starts below:

TGM - Does not pertain to the topic at hand.
Spoiler! :
Darknemo2000 wrote:A) Yes, it is. Surprised? Try some english dictionary and try the word "convenience" you probably never heard of it but you could try to imagine what it means. This is where it suits.
Nice way to open. Jumpyshoes is actually the only person to bother taking the Baka-Tsuki editor's test so I'm not sure you should be the one to criticize his language skills.
Darknemo2000 wrote:B) Some people like with the text have some quality in images as well. For you it doesn't matter if an image looks like it was printed on toilet paper but some of us do. Surprise, surprise.
This was discussed before (you probably forgot for "convenience") and it was determined this was a fluke of the Wiki's PNG handling. This point has absolutely nothing to do with your argument for changing the standards and has been so thoroughly debunked you only embarrass yourself bringing it up again.

Spoiler! :
Darknemo2000 wrote:C) Let me ask how much you have yourself translated? Before you go to such insulting comment about braindead people check what you have done and what others did, k?
It seems every time you open your mouth it seems only to change feet. Once you eliminate all the image uploads and nonsense edits like these your actual contributions aren't that impressive. Especially once you consider something addressed a little further down...

Darknemo2000 wrote:Right now I am the only active ZnT translator. And I am one of those Braindead people as you call.
Looking at your edit history I'm inclined to agree...

Darknemo2000 wrote:I have already translated 10 chapters no-one ever complained about low quality.
Maybe the reason nobody complained about quality is because the project isn't that popular. Might be the reason why you're the only one working on it... Hey! How about I help you with that. I'm sure I won't find any mistakes...

Darknemo2000 wrote:I use two machine translators and 8 dictionaries. So i guess I do not have any determination and just translate it by "Oh hmm... sound interesting, let's do this." Since after all all others are either inactive or taking a break, and since I lack of determination I am still with it.
Oh, so you really don't do any translations after all. That didn't help your case much...
Darknemo2000 wrote:Pretty pictures can grab ones attention. You can say "For such shallow reason? Losers? Won't hold much and be gone in an instant.."

Maybe but it is still better to have chapters translated by such losers who will be gone because of the lack of determination and love for pretty pictures or braindead people than having ones like you, talking highly about braindead people, but not able to produce even the slightest translation.

So you honestly believe that adding pictures will convey enough of an illusion of progress that other people will hop on board... how's that working out for ya? I'm sure Jumpy can use a machine translator too.

Spoiler! :
Darknemo2000 wrote:D) You can read? I am shocked. Of course learning the casual language expressions are still beyond you, but don't worry. As an imbecile you are doing fine.
You've already established that you have no qualifications to make such a statement.

Darknemo2000 wrote:E) Ah seems like you cannot read after all.

Lolz and i own you in this one.

Looks like the sale is void to me. Try not to write bad checks next time.
Const2k wrote:S&W Guidelines don't mention image uploading, hence the following excerpt from General Guidelines applies:
Considering I WROTE that, I'm confident that "insert" means the color images at the front of the book. If you think I'm just making that up right now to be an ass, I'd like to point out the very next paragraph on that page that makes the distinction of "Inline" images. I applaud your efforts, though, since so few people actually bother to read that page.
=Smidge=
Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Vaelis »

Smidge204 wrote:Nice way to open. Jumpyshoes is actually the only person to bother taking the Baka-Tsuki editor's test so I'm not sure you should be the one to criticize his language skills.
I think that the most important skill for an editor is to understand what he reads :roll:
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Your lines Smidge are offensive ones . This is not discussion about quality of my translations and thats what you are just doing, This is the reason why I am deleting the offensive parts.

I am not discussing the PNG issue at all. Did you even READ my post before going to bash it?

Spoiler! :
Do you understand that those edits I made to increase the space in the lines so that the translated portions would stand out?

You are listing my edits like that but purposely ignore edits like this

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ldid=29765

or this

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ldid=25722

If you are listing then list everything please.

How much chapters have you translated?

You can use ATLAS thats great. Use it. Together with Systran and other dictionaries. You will see that it is a tedious work. Go and do that.

It is not copy/paste work do you understand?

You never even tried to produce MT translation. It is not just putting sentences into ATLAS. It is also checking same sentences with systran the checking singular words with various dictionaries like JWPCE and so on.

Everyone can do that thats true. But do you know why no one does? Not because it is crap (check my translations can you really tell the difference between mine translations and others? It is not that easy really) It is to tedious to produce high quality you have to recheck same sentence countless of times to make it work. You can always put words into ATLAS and just copy paste what you get from it but it will be only slightly better than babelfish (well maybe bit more than slightly but still not very great either).

So you are saying ZnT is unpopular...

Check this out

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... =16&t=2159

ZnT so far looks like the second most popular project after Haruhi so how it is not popular?
Anyways, we should not be discussing issue of my contributions in general Jumpyshoes flames (basically his comment about brain dead people) I flamed him back Over. No more flaming or personal attacks and this is what you are doing. You are questioning my brain ability and my contributions when this topic is about the changes in image storing concerning SaW project.

Are you capable to understand that? So how the heck discussing my abilities is solid rebuttal when you are commenting a flaming post in general you cant get anything else but a flame.

I am really ashamed that people like you are B-T moderators. If I am emotional idiot do not go to my level and start comments that have no connection to the issue. This is flaming. Not a solid rebuttal or whatever you call.
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

as we can see we are wasting a lot more effort arguing about how this should be done rather than getting down to the work.
so let's try to refrain from that and all work together. well somehow.

as for the vote. well.
can't say i really have a care for either.
i go where the great oni goes.
only i voted yes instead of i don't know.

so yeah.
let's cast out some differences.
agree on something.
and not laugh at the other opinion just because we won.

because that just makes you the loser anyway.

so yeah, peace out.
barbs.
Const2k
Senior Project Editor

Post by Const2k »

Smidge204 wrote:
Const2k wrote:S&W Guidelines don't mention image uploading, hence the following excerpt from General Guidelines applies:
Considering I WROTE that, I'm confident that "insert" means the color images at the front of the book. If you think I'm just making that up right now to be an ass, I'd like to point out the very next paragraph on that page that makes the distinction of "Inline" images.
Unfortunately, your definition (that you keep in mind) doesn't necessary match others' definitions. For example, Wiktionary defines "insert" as "An image inserted into text." Though I must admit that I haven't thoroughly read next paragraph you speak about.
However, even if ANY kind of image was forbidden in General guidelines, Project-specific ones are of higher priority. I believe that project's admin and SV have more rights to define project-specific guidelines than anyone else

If you guys insist on arguing further, it seems to me that it would be the best decision. After all, "supervisor" isn't only a name, you know
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

This is seriously starting to get out of hand. Keep. On. Topic. Final warning. :?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

So let me just see if I have this right.

You slander me in the very first post, act like (and admit to being) a total ass, then call "no backsies" on having your self-righteous ass handed to you? You openly admit you are doing this for spite but you paint me as a villain? You abuse your mod powers to remove posts you find contrary to your own talking points but I'm the abusive one?

Sorry pal, that isn't going to fly. And TGM? If you edit this post you're banned for a week...

Edit: TGM just earned a free one-week vacation! Anyone else want to enter?
=Smidge=
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Somehow, it was something to be expected when you let me and Smidge into one thread, lol.

I think it is for the better as this way majority can express their opinion regarding the issue.

Edit. Where did I exactly color you as a villain in my first post. The only place is the A comment "Because Smidge said so" but YOU yourself gave such reason, so you cannot complain about it.

It is still not a personal attack against you. i was not calling your brain dead I was not doubting your contributions or anything. You are just emotional kid, just like me and make an issue over nothing.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Well,

this is something i didn't quite expect.

Was hoping for a healthy debate, but certainly not this amount of heat.

Just a reminder to the debaters here that Purple beats Blue, Green beats Purple/Blue, Yellow Beats Green/Purple/Blue, Red beats every colour.

(Big Boss beats everything. )

I understand there has been a comment or two which has been completely deleted.

This is something I seriously frown upon.

Deleting of comments with in a thread that is trying to encourage all comments,

without even filing a report or warning first, is frankly. rude.

I understand that there seems to a element of personal feeling invested in this issue and all i have to say to this, is please keep that off this thread and within personal messages.

All i want to see here is:

1) A clear draft of the proposed project specific guidelines, that clearly states the intend of the standard you wish to apply to this project.

2) Healthy examination and discussion of the merits or flaws of that proposal.

So far i have yet to see one.

please be aware of what this thread is about, anymore, and i might be forced to close this petition and wait until all parties involved have calmed down.

I'm aware that some of these parties have moderator powers and i ask you to be aware that if any of you disagree with me, please message me.

Any body with misguided intend, are willing to oppose to my decisions, understand you will receive an unsatisfactory mark against your permanent records, followed by death.

Happy debating.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Sorry Oni, but understand that I have to call Darknemo2000 on his B.S. He's taken every opportunity to make jabs and get away with being a douche, and I'm going to put a stop to it. You want a fair debate and he's the one poisoning the well.

I find it funny (but not 'ha ha' funny) that TGM apparently got a promotion after he did what I asked him not to do with a clear and personalized warning.
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

I understand there is a lot of emotion here so please everyone just take some time out, before commenting.

As to your question Smidge, don't be surprised.

It's not a sudden thing, TGM was always a secret KGB Gestapo,

Just that he liked his dynamic spam post titles, so he forgets to put on his yellow badge at times of needs.

Times like this actually.

silly monkey. whoever heard of a secret police getting arrested by the police?!

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

*sigh* I hate this color. And don't give me that crap about forgetting to put it on. :? I've told you like 5 times not that you need to turn on the option to choose our default group. We can't change it ourselves.

Glad to see that things have calmed down a bit now that I've come back from lunch.

As I said before. Keep it on topic.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I concur the motion. It really is more convient, I almost never pay attention to the images while I'm reading and if I want to look at them I can just go to the illustrations page to view them all.

Keep in mind - this is a translation community before all else. Images are sort of a moot point.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Well as I said in my one of the posts (that got lost in flamings, lol) i view the images more like a spice while text is still the main food.

It is not an overly important issue, really it's just that my ego combined with smidge's make it look like it's something big. It is not.

If a main dish is made poorly even the best spices cannot save it. If you do not have the dish at all then you cannot be content with eating spices. Yet if you have just the dish without spices, though it still maintains its main purpose (satiates your hunger) it can be made much better with good spices.

And the changes I suggest is just keeping all spices together and ensure that they would always be top notch. And that you would not have to carry them with yourself whenever you go to eat, but rather would be already there waiting for even if they are only preparing the main dish at the moment...

Lol I have gotten too much into this metaphor didn't I. Ok, ok I stop.

But the main point - the most important is still the text, yet it would not hurt making image storing bit better either.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

That is all good and all Darknemo, but please, i would like to see the words of the proposal that you would like to be published on the wiki.

You may put them in Quotes:
These are the exact wording of the project specific guidelines i would like to proposal
or code:

Code: Select all

These are the exact wording of the project specific guidelines i would like to proposal 
So that it is clear for me and others to know exactly what you plan to standardize.

please use sensible points and try to keep them concise and organised.

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”