Ookami to Koushinryou / Wolf and Spice

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
2%

Total votes: 241

TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Ookami to Koushinryou / Wolf and Spice

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Kouta wrote:I have the RAW volumes 1-5 of Spice & Wolf light novel o.o Tell me if you want ^__^ Because i like to see this awesome novel translated *-*

By the way, i have some RAW volumes of the Shakugan no Shana novels too o.o if you want tell me too *-* ( I dream with that 2 novel series translated T_T xD )

That's it xD See ya soon!~

pd : I'm new here o-o xD the forum and the Baka Tsuki Translation Project are awesome ^__^ that was the reason for register and try to help here =)
Thanks for the heads up. 8) The policy is though that we can't distribute raws out in the open. So keep it in the shadows. :wink:

As for wanting the projects translated, the more translators you can find, the better!

Welcome to Baka-Tsuki. :D
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

hi. i'm sort of new here.
i was just wondering...

i do possess the light novels but they are in traditional chinese.
i am, sadly, not fluent in japanese, therefore i guess i won't be any use there.

but if you might want to use a chinese translation as a comparison/reference.
then by all means, i'm at your service.
i've heard about how translating from chinese may lead to loss of real meaning and/or inaccuracy.
but i would very much like to help out in this project myself, loved the series ever since, and it's a pity the anime's coming to a close so soon.

oh btw @onizuka-gto:
it's not just a visual novel.
there are economical and peddler simulation aspects in the game as well.

yeah, and that's it i guess.
i look forward to helping the team.
thanks alot for hearing me out.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

welcome all. :)

Chinese translations can indeed be used at leased as a comparison, to help the Japanese translation.

Ideally, Chinese translators are easier to find, thus it would be faster then the Japanese side.

I think for those reader who aren't into the translation learning bit, would benefit if we can get the Chinese scripts up as well.

If possible, can someone send me the Chinese version?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

i'm pretty busy irl and won't be able to produce a soft copy within a short amount of time.
but i will try my best. would you prefer scans or a typed-out copy?

and sorry if the above question was weird i'm really new to this thing and i realise that one should not converse about raws and such so openly.
excuse me if i did violate anything.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

barbsicle wrote:i'm pretty busy irl and won't be able to produce a soft copy within a short amount of time.
but i will try my best. would you prefer scans or a typed-out copy?

and sorry if the above question was weird i'm really new to this thing and i realise that one should not converse about raws and such so openly.
excuse me if i did violate anything.
typed out is much more preferred, but if you cannot type it out, i think the scanned should be ok. i do have Japanese Optical Character Software dunno if it works for Traditional chinese, but it's worth a try.

you can discuss the raws here, just don't post any links to it on the public boards, private messages are fine.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Xacual
Astral Realm

Post by Xacual »

Really appreciate all the translations that are being done! It's a great series to read.
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Anyway, I began translating Vol. 3 independently a little over a week ago and, looking for some place to share my work, I found this site. After getting in touch with onizuka, I was given permission to post my translations. Though I feel a bit guilty not helping out with the Vol. 1 translations, I figured the demand for Vol. 3 translations would be at least as high as for those of the first two books considering the fact that the anime has just ended (doing a relatively decent job in covering the first two books).

In terms of progress, I just completed chapter 1 yesterday and it's already up for viewing. It takes me around three hours, sometimes even more to translate five pages, but I usually spend a lot of time making sure everything flows smoothly, sounds good and is grammatically correct, etc. I imagine translating the entire volume will take quite some time (and I fully intend to do so), but I think I'm more or less up to the task, taking it one chapter at a time. :wink:

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I'm thrilled to be a part of this project, and I will do my very best to provide translations of as good a quality as I can manage! :D

p.s. I am working from the Chinese version.
moomoochoo
Astral Realm

Re: readiris pro 11

Post by moomoochoo »

Sorry if this post is a bit old.
If anyone had trouble with installing READIRIS pro 11 due to script errors>>>>Try installing the demo version of pro 11 first, this will install the necessary script files. Then install the full version of Pro 11.
You will also want to install the asian add on for pro 11. Sometimes it is better to do the asian add on first and then install pro over the top (overwrite files in the same directory with pro 11)

Readiris pro 11 is a pretty awesome ocr program, which is hard to beat in my opinion. Anyway, hope this helps someone!
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Yay, Volume 3 is done!
Shao
Astral Realm

Post by Shao »

I'm a Japanese student learning English in order to pass a university examination.
Fine light novels in English translated by Baka-Tsuki project help me read a lot of English writing. Thank you very much.
I study English with a translated novel and a original novel (Japanese / an official issue) almost everyday.
(However, I can't read them rapidly because of my poor English. It is all I'm frustrated with. )

Then, I point out an error in Spice and Wolf 3 - chapter 1.
Most likely, the boatman was unwilling to set out because of the insufficient number of horses, hence the argument between them.
Original : 大方、頭数が揃わないと船を出したがらない船頭と押し問答をしているに違いなかった。
Though he translated "頭数" into "the insufficient number of horses", I think he should translate "頭数" into "the insufficient number of those who board the boat", because I think the Japanese often says the single word ,"頭数", as the number of people, not as the number of horses.

I hope this proposal is helpful. I apologize if my poor English makes you annoyed. I'm cheering Baka-Tsuki staff ,for example translator or editor.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Shao wrote:I'm a Japanese student learning English in order to pass a university examination.
Fine light novels in English translated by Baka-Tsuki project help me read a lot of English writing. Thank you very much.
I study English with a translated novel and a original novel (Japanese / an official issue) almost everyday.
(However, I can't read them rapidly because of my poor English. It is all I'm frustrated with. )

Then, I point out an error in Spice and Wolf 3 - chapter 1.
Most likely, the boatman was unwilling to set out because of the insufficient number of horses, hence the argument between them.
Original : 大方、頭数が揃わないと船を出したがらない船頭と押し問答をしているに違いなかった。
Though he translated "頭数" into "the insufficient number of horses", I think he should translate "頭数" into "the insufficient number of those who board the boat", because I think the Japanese often says the single word ,"頭数", as the number of people, not as the number of horses.

I hope this proposal is helpful. I apologize if my poor English makes you annoyed. I'm cheering Baka-Tsuki staff ,for example translator or editor.
is that the translation from the japanese text? because in the chinese text, it was due to insufficient number of horses. thus this is not a translator error of B-T, but the original chinese text =X thanks for pointing it out. If i recall, B-T has a policy to refer to japanese texts in such cases, so can someone verify this and make the appropriate changes? I personally do not understand japanese so i cannot do a thing in this situation, sorry...

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to say this... Shao, welcome to B-T forums, and thanks for pointing this out ^^
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

@Shao, I edited it to include the people. It does seem to make more sense this way. Why would a boatman care about the number of horses he transported? It should be people as horses can't pay him for passage...And he doesn't want to set out without the 'proper' number of people, while the knight is probably in a hurry, thus the argument. Thanks for pointing it out, and if there's any other Japanese->Chinese->English discrepancies, feel free to point them out.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I think it should be insufficient passengers... Since a boatman would not care the number of animals or people, as long as he gets paid enough to set off.
So it should be a number, not merely people or horses or goods... but the payment really... so maybe the word passengers is better?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Shao
Astral Realm

Post by Shao »

>Krikit
>ShadowZeroHeart
Thanks for prompt replies. I appreciate the acceptance of me and my proposal. I expect for translators and editors to issue more Spice and Wolf episodes, and want to try to help them translate novels after I pass the exam.

By the way, I talked this problem to my 3 friends (of course, Japanese) today. And they said that "頭数" means "the number of people." However, including horses and goods and so on in may be better from the viewpoint of the age in this novels. I think the word "passengers" is better, too.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Okay, then I'll input the term for "passengers", and we'll go with that.

Thanks for the help Shao, getting the most accurate reading for the translation is a big part of what we do to help readers, translators, and those wishing to learn a language :)

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”