Ookami to Koushinryou / Wolf and Spice

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
2%

Total votes: 241

judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Ookami to Koushinryou / Wolf and Spice

Post by judgment26 »

Well, I've been translating it as "Wise Wolf" (with caps to show that it is a title), but I have to admit, "Sage Wolf" does sound a bit better.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Not a translator of the series, but I think that Wolf-sage may be a better term?
The meaning is indeed more of Sage wolf, but the english seems a little funny to me...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

well. Japanese is a language where the described word is after the one describing it.. (man, can't come up with the needed terminology)

about wise or sage.. the japanese use 賢 which by itself means wise, intelligent
sage would be 賢者 (kenja)

so if we take 賢狼 (ken-ookami ??) it would be- wolf, what wolf? wise wolf.
that's my view if we take it as literal..

if we're voting between sage-wolf and wolf-sage.. I'd go for sage-wolf.. since it describes what kind of wolf she is.. rather than what kind of sage she is..
ShadowZeroHeart

salv87 wrote:well. Japanese is a language where the described word is after the one describing it.. (man, can't come up with the needed terminology)

about wise or sage.. the japanese use 賢 which by itself means wise, intelligent
sage would be 賢者 (kenja)

so if we take 賢狼 (ken-ookami ??) it would be- wolf, what wolf? wise wolf.
that's my view if we take it as literal..

if we're voting between sage-wolf and wolf-sage.. I'd go for sage-wolf.. since it describes what kind of wolf she is.. rather than what kind of sage she is..
The word in Chinse, and I believe similarly in Japanese, is beyond just wisdom and intelligence, but also conduct and experience etc. To be virtuous or of good conduct or possessing great judgement and stuff. That is why people would find the word sage more suitable in this case as well.

But wolf-sage and sage-wolf... I prefer wolf-sage. I just cant seem to take sage as an adjective LOLz...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

maybe, but I have a right for an oppinion, based on some facts (even if they are not correct ^_^ )
maybe start a poll on it? maybe we'll have another >half-a-year discussion like about the illustrations? :D
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I vote for Sage Wolf.
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Between "Sage Wolf" and "Wolf-Sage," I think I'm slightly more inclined towards the former. :)
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

This might be a little weird as it's not been brought up before but......what if it's just her last name, and she's just really proud of it? like her last name holds heritage, meaning, culture, etc etc or something. It would also be a clever thing on the author's part, to make the wolf, Horo's, last name, contain the character for wolf. It could be a last name...

but the things that make me doubt it are sentences where Horo wants to be "called" a certain way, there's also the fact that Horo's first name is in katakana, and the "last name" is in kanji, so maybe it's not really a last name....just a small possibility :)
ShadowZeroHeart

Not really, if I am correct, she is proud to consider herself a part of those who are true leaders of the pack. Having wisdom, experience and what have you. A true sage among wolves. That is what I believe is what she meant. And wolves do not really have names? ^^" Or am I wrong at that?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Then again, Horo is no ordinary wolf... :wink:

But...I have to agree with Shadow on this one. Interesting as it is, that theory of yours is a bit farfetched, sea. xD
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

yeah...it was worth a shot though :). Ah well, looks like Horo is the only one without a last name...not like Craft. :). Anyway, whatever you guys decide I'll go with. Sage Wolf, Wolf Sage, Wise Wolf, Wolf of Wisdom, whatever :)
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

Craft Horo.. hmm
Horo Craft is better I think..
still, that has a nice ring to it in my oppinion ^_^

PS Seag. be firm with your oppinion. what do you want to be written?
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Hmm- yeah what I was thinking is that it sounds very much as if she's talking about a particular type of thing when she refers to herself that way, or rather the text makes it sound like that when it talks about her doing so ;). At the beginning of volume 2 there's this long repetitive internal monologue on Lawrence's part where he's going back and forth between wanting to jump on Horo because she is a hawt underage girl, and being a bit intimidated by her because she is a self-proclaimed "Sage Wolf" or "Wolf Sage", or whatever the phrase should be. It's pretty clear that he's considering the phrase to mean some category of being.

At any rate, probably if it is Sage Wolf it shouldn't have a hyphen. I'm easy with anything, but until it is decided I'll keep translating it as wise wolf, just to make searching for it easier later. On a similar note, how did you guys decide on the place names in your format guidelines? They've now come to a new town (or at least I didn't see it in the guidelines) called ポロソン. Is there a definitive source for your place names?

I'm still going pretty slowly- as I said in another thread it turns out I'll be moving at the end of the month- but my Japanese is starting to come back to me a bit (at first I was looking up words I've known for a long time... very rusty), and I'm trying to be a little less anal about phrasing things just so, so things are moving a bit faster now. I have some doubts about what a couple of things mean in what I've done so far (and in fact I am pretty sure I was a bit off about one thing, which I need to go back and fix), and I keep meaning to add some questions/doubts to the discussion page- I'll definitely do that at some point.
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

The romanji for ポロソン is...Boroson (Hurray, I can actually read some Japanese now xD)? Geez, I don't even remember there being such a place...I guess that's the town they come to just before Rubinhagen? Anyway, I say just do the best you can with the names until the official guidelines are updated to include them.
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

judgment26 wrote:The romanji for ポロソン is...Boroson (Hurray, I can actually read some Japanese now xD)? Geez, I don't even remember there being such a place...I guess that's the town they come to just before Rubinhagen? Anyway, I say just do the best you can with the names until the official guidelines are updated to include them.
OK, cool. It's Poroson, actually, though at this font size bo and po are basically indistinguishable ;). Alright, I'll just transcribe it straight for now, should be easy enough to search and replace. It's been a while since I saw the anime (come to think of it, I ought to go back and watch the part of the season covered by this volume) so I don't remember it either, but I think it's basically a staging area/strong point for the Church that borders the lands of the pagans. Haven't gotten far enough to tell if it's at all important.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”