Seperate Japanese & Chinese Source

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Smidge204
Astral Realm

Re: Seperate Japanese & Chinese Source

Post by Smidge204 »

I didn't intend to imply having two separate projects. Instead, we could do what we did with the Haruhi series - some chapters are from the Chinese version, some from the Japanese version. As long as they are marked (even with HTML style <!-- comments -->) and there's no half-and-half chapters there isn't much of a problem IMHO.

Having two projects to create an English version would just double the work. Bad.
=Smidge=
Ulrezaj
Astral Realm

Post by Ulrezaj »

I'd agree with Smidge. Having some minor marking to distinguish what translations came from chinese and which ones from japanese would be all that's needed. Educational or not, the end goal is still a translated novel, so I see no reason to separate them. Personally I'm in this for the experience, but if we have a cadre of chinese translators tearing through it then I have no problems allowing them to do the lion's share. This is of course, assuming the chinese translations are true to the original. (How do names work in the chinese version?)
Matt122004
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Matt122004 »

Well, part of the reason why the chinese version idea is nice, is because the japanese version is so confusing with the ONE LINE JAPANESE, NEXT LINE ENGLISH setup. A clean normal setup like what has been started is so much easeir! I support the new version. :)

-Matt :)
Currently Reading: Dantalian no Shoka 1 Image
Ulrezaj
Astral Realm

Post by Ulrezaj »

The line-by-line translation only exists in the discussion pages. The chapter articles themselves all contain plain english text, like the chinese project thus far. The reason for the dual language setup on the discussion pages is due to most of the current japanese translators being less experienced and thus likely needing more TLCing than normal. However, that format is specific to the translator registered to the chapters. As I understand, the chinese translators are native and thus would have no need for such a verbose discussion page, so it would be their perogative just to stick the text right into the article (as has been done). Either way, the outcome is a translated, plain english chapter.
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

yeap. well i'm fine either way but to be honest i don't have alot of time on weekdays to do TL on new pages. maybe it'll be somewhat a slow pace, but i'll try to keep it steady (maybe about 5 a day).

i guess we'll all just await for the final decision then. irc banned me somehow for an apparent proxy abuse when i don't even use proxy. >.> oh well.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Ulrezaj wrote:The line-by-line translation only exists in the discussion pages. The chapter articles themselves all contain plain english text, like the chinese project thus far. The reason for the dual language setup on the discussion pages is due to most of the current japanese translators being less experienced and thus likely needing more TLCing than normal. However, that format is specific to the translator registered to the chapters. As I understand, the chinese translators are native and thus would have no need for such a verbose discussion page, so it would be their perogative just to stick the text right into the article (as has been done). Either way, the outcome is a translated, plain english chapter.
The the problem with sticking the Chinese->English translation on to the existing pages, is that what will we do with the English translation produced from the Japanese progress in the discussion page?

secondary, where will we put the notes that will obviously arise from the translation? usually we put them in the discussion page for easy reference.

Either way, the situation is looking more and more likely that we will have to re-organise the over-view page to accommodate the Chinese translation.

I like the idea of inputting hidden references and highlights in the English text to correspond to the discussed text in the Japanese version, but that will require some dedicated readers, because i doubt the translator or the myself can tackle this task.

For now lets just put two format i think will work best for this project.

1) Add the Chinese translation in to the existing over-view page, within the existing pages, since the Japanese version is situated in the discussion page.

To compensate for the lack of space for translators notes, we will create a single page for the volume, with internal links to this page.

2) We separate the Japanese & Chinese into individual pages, the Japanese pages will eventually be able to extract the english translation from the discussion page to be post on the front article page.

The Chinese will exist as a secondary link on the over-view page, similar to a "preview" page is linked.

3) We separate the entire project so that it conforms to Baka-Tsuki guidelines and will be no different in operation to any other of our projects.

I think these are the three option we have here, and now that i typed it out, the first doesn't eem so bad, because to be honest i do not expect the Japanese translation to be extracting the English out any time soon.

However the 2nd option is more clean cut.

3rd option just makes things bothersome, and create more work.

i think i'll just make a poll, that'll be easier for me to pick one...
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

onizuka-gto wrote:The the problem with sticking the Chinese->English translation on to the existing pages, is that what will we do with the English translation produced from the Japanese progress in the discussion page?
The same thing we did in the past: Don't have them work on the same chapters. Don't do the work twice and this becomes a non-issue.
onizuka-gto wrote:secondary, where will we put the notes that will obviously arise from the translation? usually we put them in the discussion page for easy reference.
Same thing we did in the past: If we're going to DISCUSS the translation, put it in the DISCUSSION page. (Yes, even if you stay with the mixed languiage format, you can still use the discussion page for discussion...) If it's translation notes and references, then have a dedicated page for that at the end.
onizuka-gto wrote:Either way, the situation is looking more and more likely that we will have to re-organise the over-view page to accommodate the Chinese translation.
Why? It's the same situation we've had before. Why are we throwing our hands up saying "what can we do?" when we've already done it? Discussing alternative ways is fine - nothing will improve if you don't even considwer something new - but we're basically saying we can't do NOW what we've done before, and I don't understand why.
onizuka-gto wrote:I like the idea of inputting hidden references and highlights in the English text to correspond to the discussed text in the Japanese version, but that will require some dedicated readers, because i doubt the translator or the myself can tackle this task.
What are you talking about? All I said was to insert PAGE NUMBERS and maybe insert a note at the top stating if it's from the Chinese of japanese version. That's all.

I'm going to ignore the rest of that post because it's completely retarded. We already have a solution. If youy want to use the discussion page as a dual-language scratch pad of sorts, that's fine - but that is a translator's preference and it changes absolutely nothing about the rest of the process.

Edit:

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ranslation
Some of these chapters are translations of the Chinese edition of the novels, which are known to have some minor mistakes compared to the original Japanese text. If you have access to the originals and you spot an error, please feel free to make the corrections yourself - this is a Wiki which means it's meant for anyone to fix things (and if you screw up, we can revert back your changes if all deem necessary). We can see the corrections you make, so just go ahead instead of hiding or waiting for permission.
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Thank you for pointing out my obvious...erm....moment of stupidity in my previous post.

now that i have re-read it, im not exactly sure what im trying to say either, but in my defence, at the time of posting that i was rather busy and under stress so i can only put it down to a temporary bout of madness, doesn't help when i have you nipping at my heels every time i fall over. i hate you smidge. :roll:

oh well, it seems like there is some resolution already so i'll leave it to that.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”