Call To Arms: Japanese Translators/Editors

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Call To Arms: Japanese Translators/Editors

Post by Krikit »

Lol, the beatles....and if I can say something, for me, some of the biggest trouble I have is translating words from katakana. It's easy if you can tell it came from english, but when it doesn't, it gets much more difficult. As for PuiPui!, which I'm translating, here is the link: http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... tle=PuiPui. Thanks to Shadow I've been able to make it to about 60% right now. (47% uploaded) for Chapter 1. After I get chapter 1 finished, it will be moved to the wiki, yay ;).

I'm going to have to look into the dictionary, though there is no way I can afford it..../sigh.

Anyway, I can't wait ^_^.

Also, the OCR chapter I sent, I do want to point out that there are some mistakes. Not many, but occasionally, if you run into something that makes no sense, compare it to the SCAN, and see if the kanji or symbol is the same. It might be a little different, as the OCR scanned image isn't great.

Also, if you are willing to set Microsoft .NET framework back to version 1, (I have, still works perfect), then there is an OCR program which will save your life ^_^.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/478 ... te107.html This has been my lifesaver. There is usually no more than 1-2 mistakes per page, if even a single mistake, and it's free. (It is in Japanese though. But finding "File --> Open" is pretty easy :). Then, you just load one page at a time, translating that, then open the next page, etc etc. It's a wonderful way to do it, and again, with PuiPui, I wouldn't be anywhere without it.
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

yeah i got the reply duncan, don't worry its not garble. haha.

anyway, yes as i've said before, in the end it's up to you. so don't worry and do as you wish. we are not racing against the clock to put out chapters in a frenzy. in fact, to add to the call to arms, i'd also like someone gifted in flash (and visual arts and the like).

so yeah.

Barbs
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote:Lol, the beatles....and if I can say something, for me, some of the biggest trouble I have is translating words from katakana. It's easy if you can tell it came from english, but when it doesn't, it gets much more difficult. As for PuiPui!, which I'm translating, here is the link: http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... tle=PuiPui. Thanks to Shadow I've been able to make it to about 60% right now. (47% uploaded) for Chapter 1. After I get chapter 1 finished, it will be moved to the wiki, yay ;).

I'm going to have to look into the dictionary, though there is no way I can afford it..../sigh.
Well, you're definitely not alone in having trouble with the katakana words. Even some words from English can be hard, because of the way that Japanese abbreviates them... I mean, you'd never guess their origins. That's one of the reasons I like the Goddess- it has a lot of those terms. It also has lots of the onomatopeia words. There are so many of them in Japanese, and my smaller J->E dictionaries (I think the first general dictionary I got has about 40k words) only have the most common. One other nice thing about it is that it has a _lot_ of example sentences. You can learn a lot of Japanese just by reading through it. EDICT's example sentences are often pretty bad, so that's a real plus. You might look into the online version if you're doing a lot of translating. I think it's not that expensive if you pay by the month (EDIT: I took a look, and it's about 3100 yen for 6 months- it doesn't have an English interface though, so you have to be able to read enough Japanese to their website), and the great thing about it is that they're constantly updating it. But if you're a student in Tokyo I can understand that you'd be strapped... that must be spendy. But between living there and working on translations I bet your Japanese will get good really quickly. Actually, I might be able to do something on the Goddess front for you, but that's probably better left to PM.

Thanks for the pointer to the OCR software. I think I would really break a lot if I rolled back .NET on this machine, as I do some kind of extreme stuff to manage to interface to the platform from other languages. But I should be able to use it on the laptop if I can get that working. That would actually be really useful to me. I have a huge box of older Japanese novels that I picked up used a couple of years ago but I've only read bits and pieces of them because I find dictionary lookup from hard-copy so slow- I hate looking up kanji by radicals in a paper dictionary. I should really break down and buy a portable electronic dictionary with handwriting recognition, but they're a bit hard to get in the US, and I've made some big purchases on other fronts lately... and this has not been my best year ever from a financial standpoint.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”