Wolf and the Spices: The Year Horo and I Spent Together

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Wolf and the Spices: The Year Horo and I Spent Together

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Version.jpg
Spice and Wolf for DS!
What else should I say?
Screen.jpg
Best screenshot from the few i found =X
Screen2.jpg
Screen3.jpg
Gameplay style?
Screen4.jpg
Are those... tears...?

And one thing I love as a chinese...

http://nds.tgbus.com/cn/hanhua/200809/2 ... 5700.shtml

Chinese fan-sub version 1.0 for the game =X
So Chinese gamers can check it out and play ^^

P.S. is this post allowed? I mean... I linked to another webby =X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Wolf and the Spices: The Year Horo and I Spent Together

Post by salv87 »

Man, I'd like to play that..
But I'd have to:
1- learn jap. to the extent I could read what's written withought checking the dictionary every second;
2- get a Nin. DS ^_^
3- do smth esle (don't know what yet) to get more satisfaction from the game ^_^

but the crying/begging Horo is just too much..
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

wow. looks good. D:

It's like civilization the DS game, but with horo and no option to invade each other with military might.

shame this will NEVER be ported over to the west. :cry:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

If you guys have the skills and stuff, why not just fan-translate it as well?
I mean, people can translate it from Japanese to Chinese, naturally it is possible to translate it from Japanese/Chinese to English =X

Or so i think =X

WHAT HAS HARUHI TAUGHT YOU GUYS!!
DONT WAIT FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN! MAKE THEM HAPPEN!!

Haruhism all the way!!
=X
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Apples~

Awww, that last picture is moving.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I've heard it's an alternate telling of the story different from the books. Does that mean it has a real ending with them reaching Yoitsu?
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:If you guys have the skills and stuff, why not just fan-translate it as well?
I mean, people can translate it from Japanese to Chinese, naturally it is possible to translate it from Japanese/Chinese to English =X

Or so i think =X

WHAT HAS HARUHI TAUGHT YOU GUYS!!
DONT WAIT FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN! MAKE THEM HAPPEN!!

Haruhism all the way!!
=X
heh, i would much rather have the translators working on the novel than the game :P

get the original source done first! then we go for other medians
ShadowZeroHeart

typhonsentra wrote:I've heard it's an alternate telling of the story different from the books. Does that mean it has a real ending with them reaching Yoitsu?
Yes, I believe that is the case...

Anyway i just started the game yesterday... so heres the starting and perhaps the goal?
Spoiler! :
You, no idea what name or anything... who cares... are a simple travelling trader. With a pathetic 700silver coins at start [will call it $700 from now and later). Nope, you have no companions, or horse or carts. Unlike the novel, there appears to be only 1 currency. The trade system is not that great either =X

You took a shortcut that is rumored to have an angry mountain god, as your goods may spoil if you took too long, and the trust on you on your client would go down, which may mean the end of your trading life already. =X

That night, you heard a wolf howling... Though it startled you, however for some strange reason, it did not really scare you. In fact, it sounded rather... sad, to you. And the upper screen of my DS shows eerie red eyes of a large beast staring at me as i was lying there, sleeping haha!

You made through the shortcut safely, and completed the deal. The shopkeeper there gives you a tempting offer.

"2000 silver coins for a horse and cart, if you complete a certain request."

Tempting, but you are way too poor. So you sadly turned him down... However, he said that it is fine to just write a loan first, and as long as the money is repaid in the end, you keep the horse and cart. Naturally... since the game must go on... you agreed(what else?)

The person who is making the request earlier is a certain mysterious girl with cute ears and tail, extremely clever and loves to tease people. Her request "Send me back to my home in one year." And where is her home? An ancient forest which you have not heard of...

You meet a fellow travelling trader and gains advice/tutorial on your new trading carts and procedures etc. Then you start earning $ to return to the you-know-who client. From time to time, she will chat or have some event as you are moving from town to town, or when you enter a town. Like spotting a hot spring(She strips and jumps in, and tempts you to join her, giving you the choice to join, or not to join.), asking you to buy her apples(FOR $1000??? WTF!!) and other stuff, if your trade lvl lvls up, she says she is happy with your growth etc...

After spending time and maybe by some counter, your intimate level with her increases... The story of the leveling up from rank E to D gave me a laugh. D to C is not bad, just that it made me feel like an idiot...

As you travel, you get opportunities to invest and such, and gather information to try to get that you-know-her home.

One year is the limit, unlike other games, one year seems short, since moving from town to town can take about 5 days each!
And... I am making slow progress ^^ hehez
Changes in the game:
You dont start off with horse and cart.
The town you start in is different, though the town Horo is from is like the 2nd/3rd available.
You are not told of Horo's past(or not yet).
No, Horo did not appear in her true form.
She escaped as people did not perform the festival, and she has her own set of clothes. (and her first appearance was naked. Reason: She took a walk in the forest. To a newbie travelling merchant, you cant understand why that leaves her naked.)
So far, Horo has not given me any good advice ~.~" (asked her how the wheat crops will grow, she claims she doesnt know, since it has been by the hands of the humans for too long, ask her about investing in gold mine, she says i am too noob and shouldnt take the risk... I earned both times ~.~)
All the trading concepts in the novel dont seem to exist... sadly.

Anyways, enough review, a little spoiler on the increase in level of intimate with her!
Spoiler! :
E to D
It is a windy night... In fear of being attacked by beasts, you decide that you two should keep watch over the flames in sequence. Horo refuses, telling you her secret.

"It is a full moon tonight, and full moon causes wolves to run wild. If I keep watch over the flames, I might feed on that human next to me in my wildness. On nights like this, even wolves stay home. I really do not want our journey to end this way. But if you insist that I must keep watch..."

Scared, you let her sleep through the night peacefully. The next day, as you are making breakfast...

"Horo, wake up! You lied to me!"

Horo slowly gets up. And you scold her for lying. Since... "Wolves dont have homes!" And Horo cant help but laugh at you for realizing it so late. She had thought that you knew and was being nice to her, letting her sleep. She laughed so hard her stomach hurts, I had a good laugh reading this too! =X
Spoiler! :
D to C
I entered town, Horo asks for me to buy fried chestnuts or something =X (no options available) I refuse, she starts commenting on how males should treat females and be nice to them. You ignore her. Then she notices a girl selling flowers, some sort of charm for a good relationship. Then she says that it is too expensive, though she wants those in the girl's hand, she wont ask for it, since we are too poor and stuff... I (the main char, not me ~.~) then says that no matter what, I will buy it for her, and starts talking about marriage and meeting parents and stuff...(What is this guy thinking ~.~) And later on, she reveals that in the girl's other hand, there are fried chestnuts... And she mocks you for how you can think so far-fetched to marriage and stuff
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Shadow, there is a pretty good program

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bm4lisswynw

It helps you to extract files from NDS games (it certainly works with no$gba nds emulator). Meaning it also has the script and txt of scenes as well. Problem is to find the right folder with scenes in txt format.

This program can help you to translate NDS game but for that you would need some additional knowledge in programming and basically dealing with roms.
ShadowZeroHeart

@@ thanks!
I dont have time and such to work them out yet, but i must say, the pictures in there are all very nice!
I wanna make a nds theme with them, if possible haha!

Anyways MEGA SPOILERS!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANNA KNOW ANYTHING!!
MIGHT SPOIL NOVEL!! And this is the explanation for the crying scene... I got that far by now =X
Spoiler! :
Horo, finally reached the destination... Her home, her forest... Told in folks tales, it was swallowed by a giant snake... And the identity of the snake? A flood... Her forest is down at the bottom of that lake...

So, since as i mentioned earlier, the $2000 was "repaid", and now we arrived at her home, it ends...

She bids farewell, and (as always) we naturally refuse to admit the contract is over.

The contract did not say "Go to the lake", it said get her home. Where is her home? Saved by the kind main char, she cries out to him, saying that she wants to be with the rest of the pack, that is her home. And so once again, back to the journey... zzz... 4months left... Good luck to me...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

i skimmed by this thread some time ago and forgot to reply.

and as i am skimming again...(this time i remember to reply)

i do express some interest in this. but yes, novel comes as first piority. perhaps once i get volume 1+2 done and we're more or less leagues ahead of the licensed novels (although i'd think we're still ahead atm), plus edits and releases, then i might try to figure out how to work the thing. after all, i learned basic ebook flash in a day. how hard can it get? hahaha. (no actually i have no confidence)

and because we all know the chances of such a game being ported to the west, we can take our time.

i've been waiting for the clannad translation ever since i came across it. so i figure i could contribute a game translation too (even though they're of completely different genre and platform).

oh well, let's look forward to it.

Barbs
ShadowZeroHeart

Well, to your surprise, the amount of wordings in the game is relatively few?

The items you can buy/sell are quite limited, there is quite a variety, but not that many at the same time.

Not sure how many rumors there is, but the other dialogues are rather fixed.
Scenes and scenarios are repeats themselves, so those arent much actually.
One year passes quite quickly, since each trip takes days.

So all in all, it may not be that tough in the end ^^
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
GDsMDDLFNGR
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by GDsMDDLFNGR »

I skipped this before when I saw the cover because I really prefer the manga art... but after seeing some screenshots I think I'll reconsider :P
ShadowZeroHeart

Trust me ^^ you would really wanna make NDS themes out of what you find in there, it looks really cute!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”