Volume 2, chapter 1

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

barbsicle
Astral Realm

Re: Volume 2, chapter 1

Post by barbsicle »

just a short post.

can someone help me confirm the name of the town (Poroson) as posted by duncan? i always try taking out the japanese raw and feeding it into a romaji converter but i still cant make head or tail of it. haha.

Barbs
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Quoted from another thread:
duncan wrote: At any rate, probably if it is Sage Wolf it shouldn't have a hyphen. I'm easy with anything, but until it is decided I'll keep translating it as wise wolf, just to make searching for it easier later. On a similar note, how did you guys decide on the place names in your format guidelines? They've now come to a new town (or at least I didn't see it in the guidelines) called ポロソン. Is there a definitive source for your place names?
The name appears in chapter 2 as well. I currently have it down as "Poroson." :)
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Krikit »

Well, I guess since we've been kicked out of the A-S forums, why not come here? lol.

I'm still waiting for chapter 1 before I start on chapter 2, so sorry for the page views being half, lol :)
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Yeah, I figured that was the case. Doesn't really make sense to read a volume out of order after all... :)
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

as with what i've said on a-s my computer has had a hard time. i'll be resuming work today onwards. let's see how much i can do before i go to sleep.

Barbs

EDIT: haha. one hour and barely one line. well this one was a tough nut to crack, and i still have some open issues with it. if you could so kindly help, judgment? haha.
教会遵从神的敦诲,逼迫异教徒们改变信仰,并决定由正数徒亲手针对这块受到错误文化污染的土地展开净化之战,至今已过了很长一段岁月。波罗逊曾是在这些过程中遭到灭迹的某异敦的精神支柱。传说教会展开激烈的战争,最后一扫这个地方的异教徒之后,由正敦徒建造了波罗逊这个城镇。
just need to know what the bold phrases mean. strangely they have the same word in them "敦" so maybe might be a name or something. i've been cracking my head but nothing. heh. thanks in advance!
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

barbsicle wrote:教会遵从神的敦诲,逼迫异教徒们改变信仰,并决定由正数徒亲手针对这块受到错误文化污染的土地展开净化之战,至今已过了很长一段岁月。波罗逊曾是在这些过程中遭到灭迹的某异敦的精神支柱。传说教会展开激烈的战争,最后一扫这个地方的异教徒之后,由正敦徒建造了波罗逊这个城镇
Are you sure of your kanjis? 敦 was probably 教.

In the Japanese sentence, we have "異教" (paganism/heresy?) and "正教徒" (Orthodox Church believers?)
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Agreed with Vaelis, although the first one is probably "异端" which is similar in meaning to "异教" but not exactly the same.

I would translate the passage as follows:

A long period had passed since the Church, following God's teachings, had forced the pagans to alter their faiths, and decided that followers of the Orthodox religion would personally cleanse this land which had been polluted by false traditions through war. Poroson had once been the spiritual pillar of a certain pagan religion that had been wiped out in the process. Legend held that the Church waged a fierce war, which ended with the construction of the town of Poroson by Orthodox followers after the pagans had been banished from the land.
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

ah. the raw i guess. should've checked with my hard copy. haha.

Barbs
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Now that the new season is out, should we define some new naming conventions?

Here's a couple of names in the English subs of the first episode that are different from my own translations:

Radora/Radona Festival (I currently have this as "Lazura")
Niohira (the town famous for its hotsprings. I translated this from Chinese into "Nooshira," which I don't particularly like)
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

judgment26 wrote:Radora/Radona Festival (I currently have this as "Lazura")
Niohira (the town famous for its hotsprings. I translated this from Chinese into "Nooshira," which I don't particularly like)
In the Japanese raws it's ラッドラ = Raddora and ニョッヒラ = Nyohhira
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

A few more names I want to check. Someone with the Japanese raws please help me out:

1. Guy Bartose (pronounced "Gi"). Working from the Chinese version, I had originally translated his first name as "Joey."
2. Exactly 14 minutes into episode 2 of season 2, the name Proania is mentioned, which I had previously translated as "Puroanie."
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

judgment26 wrote:A few more names I want to check. Someone with the Japanese raws please help me out:

1. Guy Bartose (pronounced "Gi"). Working from the Chinese version, I had originally translated his first name as "Joey."
2. Exactly 14 minutes into episode 2 of season 2, the name Proania is mentioned, which I had previously translated as "Puroanie."
プロアニア = puroania -> Proania
ギ・バトス = gi . batosu -> Guy Batos (?)
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

Thanks again. :)

Btw, I noticed that in the format guidelines page, both "Trenni" and "Toreni" are listed. Has there ever been a consensus over which name is to be used? Kinda odd that the page would have two names listed as acceptable terms for the same currency. I myself have been using "Trenni" all along, but I have seen at least one other translator use "Toreni." I feel it would probably be best to maintain consistency, hence my bringing up the question.
jokersan
Astral Realm

Post by jokersan »

I was just wondering if there was any translation happening with chapter one still?? any sort of confirmation would be fine with me, i mean i wont badger people every like three days for it to get going again, im just looking for someone to tell me its going to get done before it cant be anymore. thats all.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”