Name list of Coins, locations, characters in Chinese? Help!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Name list of Coins, locations, characters in Chinese? Help!

Post by salv87 »

hmm it's actually up to you to decide how you want it done.. either way, the text will be edited and formated ^_^

just that if you would like to translate, you should probably warn the translators that are working now about the chapter you want to do.
this should help avoid unnecessary bloodshed ^_^
dragon84211
Astral Realm

Post by dragon84211 »

Any idea what 雷诺斯 is? Reynolds? Renaulds? Thanks
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

okay.
First of all, I'd like you to tell us what language are you translating from? Chinese or Japanese?
edit: oh sorry, Chinese, my mistake, but everything else holds..

Second, please tell us what volume/chapter you are translating? (aha, I see v5, ch2, so this advice is mainly for future questions, don't forget to put spoiler tags just in case ^_^)

Third, when you post an enquiry like that, point out the place you found it and some background info
Example: "v6 ch1,page 25 in the Japanese raws, right before the second section brake, after Lawrence leaves for the bar" smth like that.. you get picture I think.
This would make things a lot faster to look up.

That's just some advice that should help
dragon84211
Astral Realm

Post by dragon84211 »

Ah sorry about that :)

But yep its Vol 5 Chapter 2. I'm using a chinese translation, so I might get the meanings mixed up since its not the original.
Not much of a spoiler I guess...but here it is:
Spoiler! :
Anyway, here are the two passages:
“可是,这样看起来雷诺斯也像平常一样不像有什么问题啊。”
But, looking at it from this point of view, Renaulds??? looks normal, like it doesn't have any problems.

种类繁多,没有比这能更好的形容充满了活力与生气的港口全景的词语了,同样也没有比雷诺斯更适合这个词语的场所。无论有什么样的问题想必都会被隐藏在这样的表面之下。
Myriads of products and sights: there is no better phrase than this to describe this harbor filled with mystic and liveliness, at the same time there is no better place in Renaulds??? for this phrase to describe.
Sorry in advance if my translation is a bit off. Reading chinese is still slightly different than understanding it when spoken. Guess I'll thank all the editors in advance :)

Basically, I think its a name of a place...but no idea how to translate the name :)

Also, anyone have any idea what this means:
Spoiler! :
罗伦斯点了亚洛尔德洛德劝酒时所用的那种葡萄酒,结果赫萝一脸的不愉快。
I get the point that lawrence ordered some famous wine for Horo who wasn't fazed at all by his generosity. However, I can't make out the famous event/place/name.
Update: Posted first part of Vol5CH2, so make the changes there if you know the answers to these questions. Thanks!
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

ok, about Reynaulds.. In the Japanese raws it's レノス - Renosu.. I actually don't know how to go about it.. maybe even leave it at that or similar (town of Renos) ??
and the name of the river is ローム Romu..
hmm.. better think how to name them properly.

another point, is that ini the japanese raws, the name of the down doesn't actually show up so often.
even in the sentence you mentioned first
Spoiler! :
But, looking at it from this point of view, Renaulds??? looks normal, like it doesn't have any problems.

it is simply written
"However, simply looking at it, it doesn't seem that there are any problems in this town."
Something like that, you'd need an official translator for that ^_^
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

dragon84211 wrote:Ah sorry about that :)

But yep its Vol 5 Chapter 2. I'm using a chinese translation, so I might get the meanings mixed up since its not the original.
Spoiler! :

Myriads of products and sights: there is no better phrase than this to describe this harbor filled with mystic and liveliness, at the same time there is no better place in Renaulds??? for this phrase to describe.
Sorry in advance if my translation is a bit off. Reading chinese is still slightly different than understanding it when spoken. Guess I'll thank all the editors in advance :)

Basically, I think its a name of a place...but no idea how to translate the name :)

Spoiler! :
I get the point that lawrence ordered some famous wine for Horo who wasn't fazed at all by his generosity. However, I can't make out the famous event/place/name.
Update: Posted first part of Vol5CH2, so make the changes there if you know the answers to these questions. Thanks!
I personally translate 雷诺斯 (the name of the town in which this volume is set) as "Renose," although I have also seen it translated as "Renos."

For the passage you were asking about...
Spoiler! :
I would translate that as: Lawrence ordered the wine that Arolderod (or Arold, according to my copy) would always bring out when urging others to drink, and Horo ended up showing a face full of displeasure.

Arolderod (if that is how his name is spelled) is the owner of the hostel/inn in which Lawrence and Horo are staying, and Lawrence has just ordered Arolderod's favorite wine.
Here's how I would translate the other two lines you gave:
Spoiler! :
"But, seeing it this way, it would seem that Renose is just the same as usual and not in any sort of trouble."

"Manifold varieties." There was no better phrase to describe the full view of the harbor that was filled with such energy and liveliness, and there was no place that fit the phrase better than Renose. No matter what kind of problem it had, it would surely be obscured beneath such a surface.
Hope that helps. :)
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

hello there dragon.

i wanted to help you originally but there came judgment's post. bah judgment. ahaha.
so here comes the first part of what i wanted to say.

congrats on getting your first release on the wiki out! however, there are some things you might want to watch. and they are:
-perhaps giving more separation between the top part (where you introduce and stuff) and the main chapter so as to avoid confusion.
-try not to put brackets with your heartfelt thoughts (haha joking) in them. i'm not sure of it myself but the main page (to me) has always been the 'so-called' release product. this is where the readers see your work first. and so as not to interrupt them in the goodness of Horo with something on our ugly behind-the-scenes translations (yes another apparent joke), you might want to shift these to the discussion page (which you can access from the top tabs of the page) and put them there with a line reference.
-so, as a guideline you could follow judgment's or my wiki styling (although i'd prefer you follow his mine is a little too much haha). judgment breaks up a section for the text even though he doesn't put anything on top, so you can put the introduction up there and there will be a clear cut line for the chapter.

and that ends my lecture. haha. so sorry to be so mean. it wouldn't have been if someone hadn't posted the answers to your problems. pfft. (no hate judgment hahaha)

Barbs
dragon84211
Astral Realm

Post by dragon84211 »

Wow...this fan translation has a lot of errors. I can't make out what some of these sentences even mean... Some are just phrases, while others they seemly forget to separate people's dialogue. (One of them was talking about a pirate who looked melancholy, then somehow started talking about a leather paper that was being held in a merchants hand. How the two are related, I have no idea at all) I can still translate the overall idea, but I'll definitely need someone to help me clean up the translation. I'll do what was mentioned above and put the questionable passages in the discussion area of where I'm translating. So yep. My translation might be a little bit inaccurate, but I can only translate what makes sense. If you know where I can get a more official copy of the text in chinese, please tell me (Makes my job translating a bit easier). Thanks!
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

@dragon:
we'd be happy to help you out. just let us know when the section is ready for edits.
and about the official copy. do you mean a hard raw as in a book?

Barbs
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

judgment26 wrote:
dragon84211 wrote:Ah sorry about that :)

Spoiler! :

Spoiler! :
I personally translate 雷诺斯 (the name of the town in which this volume is set) as "Renose," although I have also seen it translated as "Renos."

For the passage you were asking about...
Spoiler! :
I would translate that as: Lawrence ordered the wine that Arolderod (or Arold, according to my copy) would always bring out when urging others to drink, and Horo ended up showing a face full of displeasure.

Arolderod (if that is how his name is spelled) is the owner of the hostel/inn in which Lawrence and Horo are staying, and Lawrence has just ordered Arolderod's favorite wine.
Here's how I would translate the other two lines you gave:
Spoiler! :
"But, seeing it this way, it would seem that Renose is just the same as usual and not in any sort of trouble."

"Manifold varieties." There was no better phrase to describe the full view of the harbor that was filled with such energy and liveliness, and there was no place that fit the phrase better than Renose. No matter what kind of problem it had, it would surely be obscured beneath such a surface.
Hope that helps. :)
hmm.. I found the names アロルド (arorudo) and リゴロ (Rigoro). Don't know how to make their names readable..
will think about it later.
dragon84211
Astral Realm

Post by dragon84211 »

Weird, my account got deactivated. Anyway, there's surprisingly a lot of stuff to do over winter break...I'll get back to translating once I'm back in college and there's not as many outings that I have to go to. I'll make all the suggested changes then and hopefully get some more translated text up. Thanks!
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

i don't feel like making a new thread for such a small thing and since it corresponds with the title why not? haha.

well i've not really been slacking off. work has started on the final product (i feel so accomplished whenever i do it) and i was going into the wiki to edit and cleanup volume 1.

just one name i need help with so far...i realise Arhitstock is mentioned from the very start. haha.

Japanese = ニヨツヒラ - Niyotsuhira
Chinese = 纽希拉 - niǔ xī lā
English = ? lol

so yeah. help is appreciated. thank you.

Barbs
Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Vaelis »

barbsicle wrote:Japanese = ニヨツヒラ - Niyotsuhira
English = ? lol
In the Japanese wiki it's not "ニヨツヒラ" but "ニョッヒラ" (-> nyohhira?)
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

Vaelis wrote:
barbsicle wrote:Japanese = ニヨツヒラ - Niyotsuhira
English = ? lol
In the Japanese wiki it's not "ニヨツヒラ" but "ニョッヒラ" (-> nyohhira?)
ah. probably bad ocr on my part. i dont know how to read most kanji anyway so yeah. so sorry if it was wrong.

Barbs

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”