Name list of Coins, locations, characters in Chinese? Help!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Name list of Coins, locations, characters in Chinese? Help!

Post by onizuka-gto »

Dragon84211 wrote:Hi. I started watching/reading Spice and Wolf and I really enjoy it. However, since the translation is a bit behind, I was wondering if I can TRY to help. I am a native born chinese (came to America when I was 5) and I found raws up to the most current Spice and Wolf. However, I'm having trouble translating the text since I don't know when I'm encountering names. Do you have a list of the names of coins, places, etc in Chinese so I can try to see if I'm good enough to translate this? I want to try this, but since I'm only good at oral chinese, this will be a bit of a challenge. With a dictionary, as long as I can make out the sounds, I'm pretty sure I can figure out the gist of the story. Thanks!

would appreciate if a Chinese translators can please help Dragon with his/her request.

Thanks.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Re: Name list of Coins, locations, characters in Chinese? Help!

Post by barbsicle »

I'd say the names we have to provide would need to depend on which chapter he's working on.
Essentially what I would do for names if there is no other mention of it whatsoever is that I'll take a Japanese raw, look to around the page and find the line that corresponds with the Chinese version (because kanji is very much alike chinese, it is easy to spot). I then OCR the page and find the word and then convert its katakana/kanji to romaji. Then i try to figure out of that. It's always easier to figure out of Japanese. Chinese doesn't have katakana so it's harder to tell. Not saying you have to do this though.
But well, I can provide for Volume 1.
(oh and i hope you can read pinyin if you have to tell them by sound)

Characters:
罗伦斯(luó lún sī) - Lawrence
赫萝(hè luó) - Horo
叶勒(yè lēi) - Yarei
杰廉(jié lián) - Zelen
马贺特(mǎ hè tè) - Marhait
N.B. I'm unclear about the coin dealer who appears in chapter 3 because it was done by firedoo. Also unclear whether he ever reappears again.

Coins: (only 1 i think. i remember the anime mentioning alot but never really saw that happen in the novel)
崔尼银币(cuī ní yín bì) - Trenni silver coin

Locations:
帕斯罗(pà sī luó) - Pasroe
帕兹欧(pà zī ōu) - Pattio
佩连佐(pèi lián zuǒ) - Perent
约连(yāo lián) - Yorent
优伦朵(yōu lún duǒ) - Yorrend

That should be about it for Volume 1. I have no idea if it'll help in later Volumes though (at least I know Horo and Lawrence will hahaha.)

And sorry oni, for making you pm me about this on animesuki. I'd frequent here more often if everyone were here ._.

Barbs
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

thanks Barb.

I hope this helps Dragon. :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

hmm.. I would have asked babrs or Judge to look over this thread today anyway ^_^

about the names etc.. If you're not sure, you can just type the name you think it is, or tell the place you found it on the forums. There are people who will be able to check with the raws, and we'll reach a consensus ^_^

BTW, barbs..
i don't know the slightest thing about chinese..
but 赫萝(hè luó) - Horo .. it seems it's also done from Holo, rather than Horo.. or is it also a tricky sound just like ro/lo in japanese??
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

yeah. it's tricky. i'd say more tricky than japanese because there's no katakana. which means there's no ro sound (i'm assuming japanese has).

so usually when i look at the chinese i can't help but scratch my head and wonder. with japanese its slightly easier (not saying it's completely easy too i always end up asking on the forum anyway ._.)
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Depending on who's translating I've heard Horo's hometown referred to as both Yoitsu and Yoits.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

hmm.. could you be more specific.. where did you see Yoits?
I thought our translators used Yoitsu.
barbsicle
Astral Realm

Post by barbsicle »

yeah. i use Yoitsu. i'm quite sure i haven't seen Yoits yet.

unless someone else has been consistently using it then we'll have to reach an agreement to achieve consistency.
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

salv, in English-Chinese translations, the "r" sound is almost always replaced by an "l" sound, although we do have a sound that is similar to the "r" sound (ㄖ = ri).
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

That's what I meant when I asked about the "tricky part" ^_^
It seems Japanese is the opposite of Chinese in this factor.. In japanese all Ls are changed into Rs..
the simplest eample that comes to mind is ロレンス (Ro-Re-n-su)which is Lawrence.. well here only the first is changed..
in チョコレート, the レ-re, is the "-la" part of chocolate.

well, but on we had a similar discussion about Horo/Holo where the l/r/d sounds were broguht up on the A-S forum ^_^

PS Judge, you also used Yoitsu, right?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Krikit »

ヨイツ: for reference, ドイツ means Germany in english, just the DO became YO. So maybe change Germany to....Zermany? lol....Yoitsu is what I'll stick with.

スーツ: for reference again, this word actually means Suit. like a buisiness SUIT. yet the ending has the english sound of being plural, even though it's singular. Yoitsu could be read instead as Yoit if you follow this logic, (the ending is unnecessary in english) and it emphasizes the point above. It sounds alot like the German word for Germany, Deutsch. Maybe the meaning should follow this syllabus? Yoitsu seems to be derived from the Japanese word for Germany, modeled after the German word for Germany, Deutsch. So perhaps...Yeutsch? Horo hails from the land of Yeutsch? (pronounced more like....Yoichsu) honestly, it has alot of meaning for me when you think of it that way....what do you guys think?

アロヒトストック: The farthest north Lawrence has gone. It was translated literally as: Arohitosutokku, but for the ending, I think it would be better to be 'stock,' for a place name. like Stockholm, Woodstock, etc. Arohitostock....Arhitstock? Thinking Europe....
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

hmm.. If I was asked, I'd have written suit as スート ^_^

well.. I still go for Yoitsu.. as a written version when prononcing it I do agree that it should probably be smth like Yoits(u). The brackets are the to represent that the sound is still there.. it's like in the word "tsukau" which means to use.. the first U is there but it not pronounced clearly.. at least that's how I understood it.. Seag, correct me if I'm wrong ^_^

about アロヒトストック
after a bit of thinking.. the best variant I came up with is Arhtstock.. My friend also said that this is quite a plausible variant..
But I wonder how you guys would be able to prononce it as native englishmen ? ^_^
in the variant Arhitstock, the "t" after "i" kinda somehow doesn't fit in my oppinion..

But if I had to chose ONLY from Arohitosutokku, Arohitostock and Arhitstock I'd choose the last variant..
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by judgment26 »

salv87 wrote:
PS Judge, you also used Yoitsu, right?
That's right.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Krikit »

I like Arhtstock...if there's no complaints, let's use that :).

Judg = busy

So:

me = wait

:cry:
dragon84211
Astral Realm

Post by dragon84211 »

Cool. This will be very useful. Thanks everyone!

I might translate part of S&W, but since I'm only good at oral chinese, it might take awhile (I mean, this chapter I'm currently looking at is 76 pages long and figuring out the pronunciations of the words I don't know takes time). At the same time, I doubt my commitment will be steady. In that case, is it ok if I just put up drafts of what I translate on the wiki and let the editors fix them (I'm not that good with wiki formatting, and if I focus more on the style, it'll take me longer to translate stuff), or should I give the translations to someone else first? Thanks!

Yay can start translating and updating wiki now :) I'll thank all the editors who will help me in advance since I know I'll need it :)
Last edited by dragon84211 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”