Coins & prices. A couple of questions

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Ushwood
Astral Realm

Coins & prices. A couple of questions

Post by Ushwood »

Hello people.
Thanks to all of you for your efforts in translating S&W into English :).

Could you please clarify for me a few things I don't understand?

1. In vol.1 chapter 4 a coin named "Lute" is mentioned:
"Here you go! Apple juice and two servings of bread."
"How much is it?"
"You want to pay first? That'll be twenty three Lutes."
"Alright, please hold on."
Lawrence opened the loose change pouch that was tied to his waist and rummaged through it. Just as he was hurriedly preparing the black Lute coins,

In vol.4 chapter 2 a coin named "Luther" is mentioned:
I’ll measure the weight later, but I’m guessing the fee to be around three Luthers.”

The question naturally is: is it the same coin or different? And if the same, what spelling is correct?

2. In the scene mentioned above (vol.1, ch.4) the bartender asked for twenty three Lutes, but several lines below Lawrence gives him thirty-three Lutes. Where is the mistake? Or I misunderstood something?
judgment26
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Coins & prices. A couple of questions

Post by judgment26 »

Ok, I went back and checked the source texts (Chinese version), and no, they do not refer to the same currency.

As for your second question, that was a mistake in our translations. The actual number is 32, so the translator was wrong in both instances. :P

Thanks for pointing that out.
Ushwood
Astral Realm

Post by Ushwood »

2judgment26
Thanks for your reply.

A few more questions then, if you don't mind... :)

1. Vol.1, chapter 1. Just after Lawrence left Pasroe.
Lawrence was thinking about every person he had met along his journey.
He thought about the business acquaintances he had made whenever he was in the busy cities, or the villagers he had met when purchasing land, and also the girls he had fancied when staying in an inn whilst waiting for the snowstorms to subside.
It meant that Lawrence yearned for a partner more strongly now.

Isn't there a translation mistake? Did Lawrence really PURCHASE LAND? It seems to me that he just isn't of that caliber.

2. Same chapter. Lawrence encounters Horo in his cart.
Lawrence pulled out the dagger, the girl's smile was wiped off her face instantly, and she squinted her amber eyes, which had a bit of red in them.
"Who the hell are you?"

Did Lawrence really mention "the hell" (Christian word), or it was just some curse which was translated as "who the hell"?

3. Vol.1, ch.3, beginning.
"I...want to eat...apples."
Lawrence thought Horo would be stubborn until the end, but she finally said it, and so he returned to the stand to buy an apple.
"Can you pay for it?" Horo was munching on an apple, staring up at Lawrence. He tried not to give in, but he couldn't help but shrug as she looked up at him with her face so pleading.

Horo's question looks strange. If she is munching on an apple, this means Lawrence has already paid for it. Maybe she is asking him here to buy more apples? (which he does in the next couple of sentences)

4. Same chapter, several lines below.
"I am the virtuous Wolf--Horo, so I can easily make this much money at one time."
As far as I read, this chapter is the only one where Horo calls herself "virtuous wolf" (here and a couple of instances below). Is it the same term as "wise wolf" and "sage wolf" used in other chapters, or really different?

5. Same chapter.
The Milone Company was close to the docks, ranked fifth locally, as it was the second largest shop.
I really don't get this sentence :(. If it was the second largest shop, then why the company was ranked fifth? Fifth compared to what?

6. Same chapter.
As Lawrence would also occasionally make the same mistake of pronouncing a name wrong, he forgave the man with a smile. He then took out an abacus from within his jacket.
"I suggest the amount of worth is 132 Trenni coins
," Lawrence's face shifted to reveal a more puzzled expression, "these martens are very commendable and rare. Thanks to your firm in regards to the wheat, I was able to make a profit. So I decided to bring these great martens to you to sell."

Who took out an abacus and said about 132 coins, Lawrence or the buyer? The text quoted above gives the impression that it was Lawrence, common sense suggests that at least the price was proposed by the buyer...
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Ushwood wrote:1. Vol.1, chapter 1. Just after Lawrence left Pasroe.
He thought about the business acquaintances he had made whenever he was in the busy cities, or the villagers he had met when purchasing land, and also the girls he had fancied when staying in an inn whilst waiting for the snowstorms to subside.
That 'or' needs to be removed.
Ushwood wrote:2. Same chapter. Lawrence encounters Horo in his cart.
Lawrence pulled out the dagger, the girl's smile was wiped off her face instantly, and she squinted her amber eyes, which had a bit of red in them.
"Who the hell are you?"

Did Lawrence really mention "the hell" (Christian word), or it was just some curse which was translated as "who the hell"?
It would be a curse, showing emphasis. Stronger than 'Who are you?' but subtler than 'Who the f*ck are you?'.
Ushwood wrote:3. Vol.1, ch.3, beginning.
"I...want to eat...apples."
Lawrence thought Horo would be stubborn until the end, but she finally said it, and so he returned to the stand to buy an apple.
"Can you pay for it?" Horo was munching on an apple, staring up at Lawrence. He tried not to give in, but he couldn't help but shrug as she looked up at him with her face so pleading.

Horo's question looks strange. If she is munching on an apple, this means Lawrence has already paid for it. Maybe she is asking him here to buy more apples? (which he does in the next couple of sentences)
In this scene she actually picked up an apple and started eating before he even asked the stand owner for one. She then, being the cheeky wolf that she is, asked him to pay for it.
Ushwood wrote:5. Same chapter.
The Milone Company was close to the docks, ranked fifth locally, as it was the second largest shop.
I really don't get this sentence :(. If it was the second largest shop, then why the company was ranked fifth? Fifth compared to what?
The company was ranked 5th in the local area among the other companies because it was located right by the docks and second largest in said area.
Ushwood wrote:6. Same chapter.
As Lawrence would also occasionally make the same mistake of pronouncing a name wrong, he forgave the man with a smile. He then took out an abacus from within his jacket.
"I suggest the amount of worth is 132 Trenni coins
," Lawrence's face shifted to reveal a more puzzled expression, "these martens are very commendable and rare. Thanks to your firm in regards to the wheat, I was able to make a profit. So I decided to bring these great martens to you to sell."

Who took out an abacus and said about 132 coins, Lawrence or the buyer? The text quoted above gives the impression that it was Lawrence, common sense suggests that at least the price was proposed by the buyer...
The sentence should change to:
As Lawrence would also occasionally make the same mistake of pronouncing a name wrong, he forgave him with a smile. The man then took out an abacus from within his jacket.
"I suggest the amount of worth is 132 Trenni coins"

Or something along those lines.

Return to “Ookami to Koushinryou”