Proof-reading

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Proof-reading

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Not sure which part of the forums this should go, so might as well let it be here...
The job of proof-reading, what is it exactly?

It was mentioned that in society/reality, it means to look for obvious mistakes in books and articles and such.
However, is this of the same meaning in B-T?
After all, the meaning of editor differs in some senses already.

And if so, then what should we call those who are working diligently to check that the loss of the meaning of actual texts is minimized? Should we give them a new name? or call them proof-readers?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Zyzzyva165

Re: Proof-reading

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Not sure which part of the forums this should go, so might as well let it be here...
The job of proof-reading, what is it exactly?

It was mentioned that in society/reality, it means to look for obvious mistakes in books and articles and such.
However, is this of the same meaning in B-T?
After all, the meaning of editor differs in some senses already.

And if so, then what should we call those who are working diligently to check that the loss of the meaning of actual texts is minimized? Should we give them a new name? or call them proof-readers?
(Good idea to use a seperate thread...)

Well, IMHO, editors edit the texts for grammatical errors, and that proofreaders edit the texts for (translation) inaccuracies. But what I learnt from F/Z (or Beast's Lair) is that an editor IS also a proofreader. Maybe proofreading is also included in the job of editing?
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
ShadowZeroHeart

In your definition, this means that editors must be able to read other languages to notice the differences. So readers cannot be editors unless they can read the actual text/official text?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:In your definition, this means that editors must be able to read other languages to notice the differences. So readers cannot be editors unless they can read the actual text/official text?
As you can see from the F/Z project page, they need *active editors*. But what they really mean is that they need *Editors who know Japanese and can help them improve the accuracy of the translated text, which was translated from Chinese*. (As far as I know, CanonRap of Beast's Lair is doing this). You can go to the B-L forum to see what we discussed there.

Hmm......Kind of unfair huh? So what if editor sticks to grammar correcting, and proofreader sticks to improving accuracy? I really don't know though. XD
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Editors - Read the translated text for grammatical and consistency errors.

Proofreaders - Read both the original text and translated text and check for inaccuracies/errors in translation. Can also do the job of an editor.

The differences are that proofreaders actively check both languages of the material. They can double as editors but focus more on correct translations. Editors are dedicated to the language it is being translated into and focus on that alone.

That is how I've always known it in the translation business at least.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Sounds fair to me. So what if we separate proofreaders from editors? Because it will help to know how many people's proofreading and how many's merely editing. Besides, this is what other organizations like Reader's Digest does.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I really don't think we need a separate group for proofreaders. Just name them as editors and they can just focus more on the translations if they want to. I mean honestly how many people are we going to get that want to focus on double checking the translations? :?
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Well, you have a point... Currently, I am not proofreading, just translating. (Cuz it's easier to retranslate the text than proofread it, due to quite serious damages incurred by me)
ShadowZeroHeart

So I guess we make it a point that proof reading means to refer to officially released texts?

Since in other organisations like "Reader's digest" Proof-reading means to look for obvious errors. Like idiot-proofing the product. After all, readers digest isnt translated into other languages is it?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Is that so? I didn't really look up for it, just remembering noticing it somewhere in one of the editions...

Personally speaking, proofreading is not easy. Doubt I'll continue this for the rest of the chapters.

Glad to have another Japanese translator, though. This would make our translation more accurate...

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”