Query About Translation

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Trabius
Astral Realm

Re: Query About Translation

Post by Trabius »

Macko Darlack wrote:actually, never did I tried to search english guides... :roll: now i'm gonna do that. and answering later posts: yeah, a "begginer's guide", sth like that?? :mrgreen: i'm interested too!! :D by the way, what you people recommend me to start with?? i mean, i learn faster (think so) by myself... i mean, i studied latin with a textbook and quenya from an online course. i'm no expert, but i defend a little, yes :D so, i thought learning kana and kanji first would make it easier... as i said before, the guide's to japanese I got have no grammar or quite a few, and only contain "usual expressions", so a basic grammar would be helpful to me. and i pretend to have a 'base' before attending a class.

best regards to you all! :mrgreen:
Well, I think the usual route is to memorize all the kana. If you learn a little kanji, that's good too but you don't need it in the beginning. What I'm writing is basically starting from scratch, but I'm assuming that whoever reads it would be learning hiragana and katakana. So if you don't have the kana down yet, it's a good place to start.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Vaelis »

Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

Should I include vocabulary in a grammar lesson? I didn't think so at first, but now it looks like it might be necessary because some words are semantically different from what a dictionary might suggest, like in the case of 'tribute' earlier. Plus some terms have underlying connotations such as the difference in using 'sono' or 'ano' with regards to the listener's familiarity with the topic.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

my thoughton thismatter would be - include if it is needed.
that is not for every word. but for specific, more hard cases.

or a link to the info where the knowledge on this can be deepened.

still,it's not like you have to do itall in 1 week. take your time, since if it isn't rushed it would probably turn out better ^_^
Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Macko Darlack »

Trabius wrote:Well, I think the usual route is to memorize all the kana. If you learn a little kanji, that's good too but you don't need it in the beginning. What I'm writing is basically starting from scratch, but I'm assuming that whoever reads it would be learning hiragana and katakana. So if you don't have the kana down yet, it's a good place to start.
yay, thank you. I've already read the posts u told me. really clear the matter now :D so I have to start reading kids books, manga, adult manga/light novels, and the technical... now my new questions would be... which children books/manga you recommend me to start with?? yeah, first i should get to memorize the kanas, but then? :D do you know any "hidden" manga? i mean, not very known... it's better if it has never been translated :D

thanks, Vaelis :D
Should I include vocabulary in a grammar lesson? I didn't think so at first, but now it looks like it might be necessary because some words are semantically different from what a dictionary might suggest, like in the case of 'tribute' earlier. Plus some terms have underlying connotations such as the difference in using 'sono' or 'ano' with regards to the listener's familiarity with the topic.
yes, yes, plz.. :D 'cause, for xample, i don't know yet the difference between 何時も and いつか (well, now when typing that I know the right meanings and are different, though :? bad example... :lol: ) and plz, could you possible write romaji also for us beginners, plz?? :D
salv87 wrote:still,it's not like you have to do itall in 1 week. take your time, since if it isn't rushed it would probably turn out better ^_^
yay, he's right :D but I've come to an idea, btw... why not b-t has a japanese guide?? (sorry if not well written, should check my grammar... gonna look for my notebooks :lol: ) has that been discussed before?? and thus the guide can be translated into other languages, like an aside project :D is that far possible?? :D

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”