Emphasis dots?

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Macko Darlack
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Emphasis dots?

Post by Macko Darlack »

well, if comitting no mistake, 「xxx」 is used as our "xxx", right? so it means that よけいなの must have the emphasis dots 傍点. so, if 「」 are "", then i think you should use italics... for xample, in ZnT, there's a chapter 「魅惑の妖精」亭, translated like ' "The Charming Faeries" Inn '.
i dunno what the sentence means, though i can read some kanas, but i think it is:

yo keina no ["yo keina no" enfatizado] ni ????.... and well, since "" are already used here, then italics are free to use :D both are used for emphasize, but: "Quotes are sometimes used incorrectly for emphasis in lieu of underlining or italics, most commonly on signs or placards. This usage can be confused with ironic or altered-usage quotation, sometimes with unintended humor" (wikiped). for a further reading you can check the part of 'Usage' in both articles: Quotation Marks and Italic Type.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:well, if committing no mistake, 「xxx」 is used as our "xxx", right? so it means that よけいなの must have the emphasis dots 傍点. so, if 「」 are "", then i think you should use italics... for xample, in ZnT, there's a chapter 「魅惑の妖精」亭, translated like ' "The Charming Faeries" Inn '.
Erm, if there are no more opinions, then i think i'll take italics then. Thanks. :D
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Executed.

Discussion closed.
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”