What is the best way to learn japanese?

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: What is the best way to learn japanese?

Post by b0mb3r »

Poke2201 wrote:Gaijins will never understand our language.
are you japanese? or a person living in japan?

baka baka baka
Poke2201
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Poke2201 »

Ok i just got that off the blog i was reading. Some idiot in the school system there made them like that.

A lot of Japanese people, I’m told, are basically taught nihonjinron (日本人論) in middle school (I don’t know whether this is true or not). And what that basically says is that Japan and Japanese are unlike anything else in the world, no foreigner could ever “get it”, and even you Japanese kids will barely get it without years of formal education.
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/b ... w-japanese
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Absolutely fantastic website, a great find Poke-chan.

The most important article I've discovered on that site, is this one:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... able-games

To summarise it, keep things short and enjoyable.

Keep your goals clear in your mind and have a strong "fun" factor.

Sounds simple but reflecting back on this method, I can see how this had contributed to quite a large portion of my progress in a lot of areas, from professional and personal life.

How this can be applied here at Baka-Tsuki, take for example you make a simple statement that you will read these three sentences and translate it literately word by word as much as I can in one hour.

You aren't worrying about grammar or the context in particular or how many words you can do.

Either you get all the words translated or the time run out, you have done your objective and you have completed your task, added a little bit of the script and unravelled a little bit more of the story.

Satisfaction on all levels.

It's a win-win situation. :)

Now rinse and repeat until you have done the entire chapter.

From there you can publish it or you can start to refine it using the same method.

over all It's a beautiful methodology and I encourage all budding translators to read the full article linked above and find translation a more enjoyable experience.

:wink:

P.S: Also notice a number of B-T translators such as quendidil also frequent the site, must be one of those hidden gems most learners want to keep to themselves.... :p
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Sooo do you want me to make a thread about this and sticky it lol? This is one of the best ways to learn. But oni... I dont expect very many translations until people get past kanji stage.(And i mean you remember at least 80% of common use kanji) But seeing as this forum was created to help translators get help, or even learn languages, this is a perfect way to do what you love in the language you want.

This does work for other languages. Though your method is improvised.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Poke2201 wrote:Sooo do you want me to make a thread about this and sticky it lol? This is one of the best ways to learn. But oni... I dont expect very many translations until people get past kanji stage.(And i mean you remember at least 80% of common use kanji) But seeing as this forum was created to help translators get help, or even learn languages, this is a perfect way to do what you love in the language you want.

This does work for other languages. Though your method is improvised.

Yup! make it sticky! :)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Done! :D

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”