Learning Sections

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Learning Sections

Post by salv87 »

that's a fun conversation to read between lectures :D
keep it up ^_^
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

My turn to ask a question :D There's one line that I can't quite figure out the grammar for:

お爺ちゃん… 私ね、一生懸命斬ろうとしたんだよ?

Is she saying she's been wanting to cut her grandfather down all her life, or things in general?
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Krikit »

Hmmm...what I'm getting is this:

お爺ちゃん : Grandfather

… 私ね、 : You know I've

一生懸命 : with utmost effort OR: 一生 : Whole life 懸命: earnestly

斬る : to behead, murder, kill

斬ろうとしたんだよ? : hmmm...

"Grandfater....you know I've, been trying hard to behead/murder/kill you my whole life you know?"

OR:

"Grandfather....you know I've, been trying really hard to kill you you know?"

something like that...but from the kanji, it literally means "behead/kill/murder" not cut down or something...so yeah, I'd suffice it to say she wants to kill her grandfather....

Can I ask where this is coming from?? :)
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

This is from the colour page 2 of Baccano! v6, which can be found here. I went for 'cut down', because 斬 is a downward, slashing motion, and Maria likes cutting things up. Was mostly wondering about the "...ろうとしたん..." part. Is it referring to her grandfather or generally? Can't quite decide if it is =_=

If you don't mind, there's another sentence (Baccano! v1, Epilogue 2) I'm not quite certain of: そうしたPRISONに囚われてしまったのだろうか. The narrator is talking about the role of coincidence in meeting the immortals, and about the 'eternal prison, the spiralling prison', which I presume is referring to the immortals' lives of being unable to die?
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I have heard of an eternal prison... A spiral prison. To get involved with them, and to go through this final "coincidence" like meeting Maisha(or how you spell the name?), am i too trapped within that prison......?

That is what i believe is your sentence in about baccano vol 1.
This is the only line i can find regarding a prison... Hope it helps...
P.S. mine is chinese text, so it may be inaccurate.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote: 一生懸命 : with utmost effort OR: 一生 : Whole life 懸命: earnestly
As a general rule this phrase always corresponds to your first definition, I think. I've never heard it used in the second sense. If it were, I think the intonation would be different too, if it were spoken. Anyway, it is a set phrase, and it means something like: "with utmost effort". Of course if you translate it that way I will have to hunt you down, shoot you, take a bite from your still beating heart, field-dress your corpse, and put you in my freezer in preparation for hard times.
elkin
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by elkin »

duncan wrote:
Krikit wrote: 一生懸命 : with utmost effort OR: 一生 : Whole life 懸命: earnestly
As a general rule this phrase always corresponds to your first definition, I think. I've never heard it used in the second sense. If it were, I think the intonation would be different too, if it were spoken. Anyway, it is a set phrase, and it means something like: "with utmost effort". Of course if you translate it that way I will have to hunt you down, shoot you, take a bite from your still beating heart, field-dress your corpse, and put you in my freezer in preparation for hard times.
No worries, I won't ;) Maria is rather childish by nature anyway.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”