Hocchan's Saviours. (Baka Test)

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Hocchan's Saviours. (Baka Test)

Post by hobogunner »

Okay, so, now I'm slightly confused as to Akihisa's phrasing. Yuuji said some insanely smart thing beforehand (I sort of only translated half of it, I'll tackle it later.) And so, Akihisa is amazed, of course.

そう言って、雄二は歴史上の人物を数名挙げた。なるほど。そうなのか。

I get the "Saying that, Yuuji cited a few historical figures." however, I don't understand the なるほど。そうなのか。part. It's him going "I see. Do I really?" basically, so I don't know if I should simply put "I see....?" I don't think it's too much of a stretch. Maybe "I see. Really?"

I'm putting down "I see. Really?" for now.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

The "そうなのか。" part can be interpreted as a rhetorical question (i.e. a question whose answer is already decided by the speaker). So the speaker here is saying "is that it?" when he really meant "so that's it."

ただの意見です。
まず隗より始めよ。
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

hobogunner wrote:Okay, so, now I'm slightly confused as to Akihisa's phrasing. Yuuji said some insanely smart thing beforehand (I sort of only translated half of it, I'll tackle it later.) And so, Akihisa is amazed, of course.

そう言って、雄二は歴史上の人物を数名挙げた。なるほど。そうなのか。

I get the "Saying that, Yuuji cited a few historical figures." however, I don't understand the なるほど。そうなのか。part. It's him going "I see. Do I really?" basically, so I don't know if I should simply put "I see....?" I don't think it's too much of a stretch. Maybe "I see. Really?"

I'm putting down "I see. Really?" for now.
なるほど。そうなのか
I see. So that's how it is, huh?

Perhaps it is easier to see the usage of in a more polite form, since it often appears as ので / んで, のだ / んだ, which has a few variations in usages (though they are more or less based on the same functionality of expressing reason).
そうなか = そうなですか

In a way, it is as what joay said. Here the use of の suggests that Akihisa is not 100% sure and is asking for confirmation from someone or no one in particular (a slight mulling/doubtful kind of thought), but if it ends with だ rather than か, then it suggests an answering to his earlier doubt (this will be exactly as what joay said).

In an exchange, when a person uses の / ん in this manner to ask a question (asking for confirmation or as a 'softened' query), the person who replies will usually use の / ん as well in his answer.
Eg.
Q: そうなですか?
A: はい、そうなです。(instead of just そうです)

Q: 帰るか?
A: ええ、帰るだ。 (instead of just 帰る)

So your translation is not 100% wrong, though I think just saying "really?" has way too much doubt in it.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”