Generic Translated Content, Feedback Appreciated

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Generic Thread for Translated Content

Post by Hazue »

btw lare, u had a typo/mistake.
"Koigasaki must have seen how I upset I was and gave up watching for my sake"
shouldn't it be "how upset i was"?
Currently addicted to Acchi Kocchi's manga translation. Sorry BT, for not translating the novel I had registered :(
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

yes to Denyuuden and Itsuten. unfortunately your Japanese will not improve a lot working on this, since it's written in short simple sentences, though sometimes things can get messy. it's best not to translate literally, but yet it's hard not to translate it literally; I don't really know how to explain this myself. but that's why I stop caring about the translated sentences after a while, and why I work on other projects as well. though the story and characters still remain as one of my favorites. anyone who's into fantasies should like them if they are patient for the plot and characters to thicken.

言いながら、だるそうに髪をいじる美少女……と言えば聞こえはいい。
Here, I think Naoki is saying that calling her a 'bishoujo' sounds 'nice', the following sentence that describes her appearance actually creates the contrast that reinforces this.

*yes typo, fixed.
Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Doraneko »

Hazue wrote:hmm.... i'm kinda bad when the sentence has a combination of の and が, は/が and で, and so on. and guide on this?
You know linguistic students and researchers pull phd dissertations out of that on a daily basis. I am not as good (and long-winded) as them so I can only point you to some reference materials.

In English
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

In Japanese
の(助詞)
Spoiler! :
〔助詞〕
[1](格助詞)
(1)連体格を示す。前の語句の内容を後の体言に付け加え、その体言の内容を限定する。現代語では「の」の前後の内容に場面の差がない時に使われ、その差がある時は「…からの」「…までの」のように、その差を示す語を補って使うが、古代語では場面から理解できれば「…の」だけで使えた。後に付く体言が省略され、体言に準じて使われることもある。
(ア)場所を示す。…にある。…にいる。…における。皇極紀「彼方(おちかた)―浅野―雉(きぎし)」。万葉集(7)「巻向―桧原の山を」。土佐日記「県(あがた)―四年五年果てて」。古今和歌集(序)「大空―月」。平家物語(9)「宇治川―先陣」。「東京―おじさん」
(イ)時を示す。…における。万葉集(2)「秋―月夜は」。万葉集(12)「夕(よい)―物思ひ」。「昨日―出来事」
(ウ)位置・方角を示す。…に対する。万葉集(2)「御井―上より」。万葉集(4)「餓鬼―後(しりえ)にぬかづくがごと」。「都―西北」
(エ)向かって行く時・所を示す。…までの。…への。万葉集(15)「会はむ日―形見にせよと」。伊勢物語「都―つとにいざといはましを」。源氏物語(若紫)「朱雀院―行幸あるべし」
(オ)対象を示す。…への。…との。…についての。源氏物語(手習)「山ごもり―御羨み」。源氏物語(玉鬘)「故少弐―仲悪しかりける国人」。「自動車―運転」「夫―操縦法」
(カ)所有者を示す。「が」に比べ敬意をこめて使われると捉えられることもある。…のものである。…が持っている。古事記(中)「をとめ―床の辺」。万葉集(1)「采女―袖」。源氏物語(葵)「若君―御乳母」。史記抄「晋文公―夫人は繆公―女ぢや」。「私―本」「あなた―家」
(キ)所属を示す。…に属している。万葉集(1)「珠裳(たまも)―裾に」。万葉集(5)「玉桙の道―隈廻(くまみ)に」。万葉集(5)「天の下申し給ひし家―子と選び給ひて」。竹取物語「駿河の国にあなる山―頂き」。平家物語(1)「神祇官―官人」。「本校―生徒」「腕―付け根」「子供―手を引く」「5月―5日」「東京―世田谷」
(ク)同格の関係であることを示す。…である。…で。…であり、かつ…である。万葉集(9)「見てしかといぶせむ時―垣ほなす人の問ふ時」。今昔物語集(31)「若き女―年二十余ばかりにていと清げなる出で来たり」。蒙求抄(10)「歩兵の官の人―厨に営む人あつて」。「弟―三郎」
(ケ)原料・材料を示す。…でできた。古事記(上)「玉―みすまる」。古今和歌集(春)「白〓(しろたえ)―袖ふりはへて」。「毛糸―セーター」
(コ)資格や置かれた状態・状況を示す。…である。…という。万葉集(3)「わが背―君」。源氏物語(桐壺)「帝王―上なき位」。徒然草「希有―狼藉」。「博士―称号」「入ったばかり―新人」「交戦中―国」
(サ)固有名詞による限定。…という(名の)。古事記(上)「八千矛―神」。万葉集(1)「大和―国」。堤中納言物語「中将―乳母(めのと)」
(シ)思い浮かぶもとを示す。「天神様―北野」「津―伊勢」
(ス)体言・形容詞語幹・副詞・句などの属性を持つことを示す。万葉集(2)「おそ―みやび男」。万葉集(18)「あはれ―鳥と」。竹取物語「猛―者」。源氏物語(夕顔)「わざと―声」。新古今和歌集(恋)「忘れじ―行く末まではかたければ」。平家物語(9)「あなむざん―盛長や」。「急―話」
(セ)形式名詞に先立ってその実質・内容を示す。万葉集(2)「朝露―如(ごと)、夕霧―如」「波―共(むた)か寄りかく寄る」。万葉集(20)「大君の任(まけ)―まにまに」。竹取物語「御心ざし―程は見ゆべし」。源氏物語(桐壺)「右大弁の子―やうに思はせて」
(ソ)比喩を示す。…のような。「花―都パリ」
→が。
(2)後の体言が省略されたもの。(古くは体言のみを受けたが室町時代以後は活用語の連体形をも受ける。口語では頻用され、準体助詞として別扱いする説もある)
(ア)先行する名詞を省略。仏足石歌「仏は常―もあれど」。土佐日記「とかく言ひて前の守(かみ)も今―ももろともにおりて」。四河入海「世間にある兎は皆雌也。月中―は雄兎ぞ」。「この万年筆はどなた―ですか」
(イ)体言の代用をする。…のもの。…のこと。…の人。狂言、絹粥(ひめのり)「それがしが好いて読む―は源氏平家の物語」。浄瑠璃、ひらかな盛衰記「これ申し、お隣り―」。「できた―をもらう」
(3)体言を受け、連用修飾語を示す。
(ア)(多く、和歌の序詞の技法)上の語句の内容を比喩・例示とするもの。…のように。万葉集(2)「樹(こ)の下隠りゆく水―吾こそ増さめ御念ひよりは」。万葉集(5)「鳴きゆく鳥―音(ね)のみし鳴かゆ」。源氏物語(夕顔)「例―急ぎ給うて」
(イ)(「もの―」の形で)〓〓の同格の用法から転じて、矛盾した状態の共存を示し、逆接の接続助詞的用法となる。源氏物語(夕顔)「つれなくねたきもの―忘れがたきにおぼす」。源氏物語(明石)「をかしきもの―さすがにあはれと聞き給ふふしふしもあり」
(4)もたらした主体を示す。
(ア)従属文での述語の表す内容をもたらした主体を示す。…が。…のする。主文で「が」を使うのに対し従属文では「の」を使うとする考えもあったが、現代語では、従属文でも「が」で表すことが多い。現代語では「の」を受けた文末は詠嘆止めとなる。古事記(中)「命―全けむ人は」。万葉集(10)「にほふ黄葉(もみち)―散らまく惜しも」。伊勢物語「栗原のあねはの松―人ならば」。古今和歌集(序)「春のあしたに花―散るを見」。蒙求抄(3)「氷―はる時分」。毛詩抄「成王―もつてきて、近比辛労ぢやと云て」。天草本平家物語「宰相殿―さてござれば」。「あなた―読んだ本」「こぼれた後にまた露―置く」
(イ)疑問・反語・詠嘆の文で、もたらした主体を示す。万葉集(1)「心なく雲―かくさふべしや」。万葉集(7)「巻向山は継ぎ―よろしも」。古今和歌集(恋)「思ひつつ寝(ぬ)ればや人―見えつらむ」
(ウ)言い切り文の主体を示す。中古の詠嘆文に始まり、室町・江戸期に多くあるが、そのほとんどが感動・強調などの表現。古今和歌集(哀傷)「見れば涙―たぎまさりけり」。曾我物語(3)「梶原殿―来(きた)れり」。東海道中膝栗毛(3)「外聞(げえぶん)―わるい」
(エ)対象を示す。述語は体言と同等になるために連体格と同等にも考えられる。万葉集(3)「手弱き女(おみな)にしあればすべ―知らなく」。万葉集(5)「妹らを見らむ人―羨(とも)しさ」。万葉集(11)「妹が目―見まく欲しけく」。蒙求抄(10)「酒―飲みたき時ゆく也」。浮世風呂(前)「とつさまが曲つた事―嫌(きれえ)な人だのに」
(5)撥音ンで終わる体言に助詞「を」が付き、連声(れんじょう)によってノとなったもの。目的格を示す。狂言、烏帽子折「油断―させまいといふ事ぢや」。浄瑠璃、凱陣八島「哀憐―垂れ、通さんこそ本意ならめ」。東海道中膝栗毛(2)「しからば六十二文―つかはそうか」
[2](並立助詞)(室町時代以後の用法)
(1)事物を並べあげて問題にする。同類を集めたり、反対のものを比較したりする。史記抄「日本には、裳―、ひの袴―なんどと云て」。浄瑠璃、大経師昔暦「宿賃―、米―、味噌―と算用したら」。「貸した―借りない―と言いあっていた」「行く―行かない―、迷って決められない」
(2)ある活用語とその否定形とを重ねて上の語の意味を強める。「いやもう、面白い―面白くない―って」「走った―走らない―、ものすごい勢いだった」
[3](終助詞)
(1)会話の中で、語調をやわらげつつ、聞き手を意識しての感動を示す。狂言、釣狐「其狐を釣る物をちと見たい―」。狂言、吟じ聟「鈍な奴―」。浄瑠璃、女殺油地獄「ア、ざはざはと何ぢや―」。浮世風呂(2)「ヲヤおばさん、お早かつた―」。「わたしはこれが好きな―」「私、何とも思っていません―」
(2)疑問文の末尾の「か」を略したもの。「何を話している―」「京都へはいつ行く―」「もう御飯は食べた―」
[4](間投助詞)文節の切れ目に付いて聞き手に軽く念を押しながら話を進める。江戸語に多く、遠慮のいらない聞き手に対して用いる。…ね。浮世風呂(2)「いま―、お前の所へ寄つたら―」。仮名文章娘節用「アノ、内に居る様におこると―、をばさんが泊めて下さらないヨ」
で(助詞)
Spoiler! :
〔助詞〕(動詞の未然形に付く。平安時代以降に用いられた語。奈良時代には同じ意味で「…ずて」「…ずして」が用いられた。打消の意の「に」に助詞「て」の付いた「にて」の転とも)
(1)(文中にあって)前を打ち消して後の語句に続ける。…ないで。…ずに。伊勢物語「行けどもえ逢は―帰りけり」。土佐日記「もののあはれも知ら―おのれし酒をくらひつれば」
(2)(文末に置かれ)否定し、それについて、相手をなじったり、あるいは自ら苦しみ困ったりするような余情を含む。…もないで。…も…ないとは。…ないなんて。源氏物語(須磨)「こころぐるしき人のいぎたなき程は暫しやすらはせ給は―」
が(助詞)
Spoiler! :
[一]〔助詞〕
[1](格助詞)
(1)体言及び体言に準ずる語に付く。連体格を示す。前の体言が後の体言に所有・所属などの関係で続くことを示す。同じ連体格に「の」があるが、「が」は、前の体言に「我(わ)」を始めとして話し手側の人間を受けることが多く、能動的主体としてとらえる。「の」に比べ、低い敬意で遇するととらえられることもある。→の。
(ア)所有・所属を示す。後の体言が省略された形で使われる場合もある。古事記(上)「太刀―緒」。万葉集(5)「妹―心のすべもすべなさ」。万葉集(5)「笞(しもと)取る里長(さとおさ)―声は」。万葉集(17)「なでしこ―花」。平家物語(2)「しやつ―首」。「我―国の経済発展」。古今和歌集(秋)「この歌はある人のいはく、柿本人麿―なりと」。宇治拾遺物語(1)「いかなれば、四条大納言のはめでたく、兼久―はわろかるべきぞ」
(イ)後に来る語の数値を具体的に示す。源氏物語(若菜上)「三日―程は夜がれなく渡り給ふを」。歌舞伎、好色伝受「一貫―酒を売りたさに」
(ウ)体言、活用語の連体形に付き、下の「ごと」「ごとし」「まにまに」「からに」「むた」などの形式名詞の内容を示す。万葉集(3)「咲く花の匂ふ―ごとく今盛りなり」。万葉集(6)「一重山超ゆる―からに」。万葉集(20)「草―共(むた)寝む妹無しにして」。宝物集「臨終に見欲を起さじ―ために」
(2)後に述べることをもたらしたものを示す。
(ア)それを生み出したものを取り出して示す。一般には主語を示すとするが、主語を述語の主体ととらえるとすると、主体とならない「私が歯を抜いた病院」のような言い方もある。日本語では具体的な内容の語に付くのが本来で、「運命が私の一生を変えた」の「運命」のような抽象名詞に付くのは明治以降の言い方。古くは述語が連体形となったり、条件句であったりなど、従属節の中で用いられた。中世に終止形で言い切る文でも使うようになった。同じように主語を示す働きのある「は」との違いを、「が」は主語を示し、「は」は題目を示す、あるいは、「が」は初出の情報を示す、「は」は既出の情報を示す等と区別する説もある。〓(多く話し手を指示する語に付く)自ら進んでそれをもたらしたものを示す。話し手以外に付く時は、進んでそれをしたとして責める思いのこもることがある。源氏物語(若紫)「雀の子を犬君―逃がしつる」。「君が黙っているなら、私―言う」「誰も行かないから、彼―行った」「私―コーヒーだ」〓(話し手以外に付いて)話し手が関わらずに起こった事態のもとになったものを示す。古事記(上)「青山に日―隠らば」。万葉集(3)「吾妹子―植ゑし梅の樹見るごとに心むせつつ涙し流る」。源氏物語(桐壺)「いとやんごとなき際にはあらぬ―すぐれて時めきたまふありけり」。徒然草「この文、清行―書けり」。「雨―降って来た」「海―美しい」「彼―山田さんだ」「油―切らしてある」「急に予定―変更した」
(イ)後の情意を表す形容詞、可能の表現などに続け、その原因・条件となったことを示す。述語の対象を示すととらえる説もある。現代語では「が」の代りに「を」の使われることもある。万葉集(20)「母を離れて行く―悲しさ」。天草本平家物語「平家の由来―聞きたいほどに」。浄瑠璃、鑓の権三重帷子「早い―好きなら、この舟、初夜が鳴ると出します」。浄瑠璃、心中宵庚申「若いものの人中へつら―出されませうか」。「故郷―恋しい」「この本―私には面白い」「歩くの―楽しい」「本―買える」
(3)活用語の連体形に付いて、その動作主体との位置関係を表す。万葉集(20)「白波の八重折る―上に」。源氏物語(桐壺)「高麗人の参れる―中に」
(4)後の「も」と呼応して「…が…でも」の意。源氏物語(葵)「三つ―一つにても、あらむかし」。浄瑠璃、傾城無間鐘「いつ―いつまでも」。歌舞伎、傾城浅間嶽「銀(かね)がすまぬ間は、五年―十年でも」
(5)(後に続くべき語句を省略して)驚きや非難の意を込めて示す。狂言、長光「あのすつぱめ―。あの横着者め―」。「あの人―。信じられない」
(6)代価を表す語を受けて、それ相当の分量を表す。「…分」の意。黄表紙、廬生夢魂其前日「緑青と丹を三十二文―買つて来い」
[2](接続助詞)活用語の連体形を受ける。〓〓〓の用法から、前後の句の動作主体の異なる例が出て来て成立した。
(1)前後の句を接続し、共存的事実を示す。「…ところ」などの意。今昔物語集(16)「巳の時ばかりなりける―、日も漸く暮れぬ」。狂言、萩大名「下京辺によい庭をもたれた御方のござる―、これに唯今宮城野の萩が盛りでござる」。「きのうお訪ねしました―、たいそうお元気でしたよ」
(2)転じて、前後が反対の結果になり、食い違う事柄に移行したりする意を表す。「…けれども」の意。平家物語(6)「熊野の別当湛増も平家の重恩の身なりし―、其も背いて源氏に同心の由聞えけり」。「声をかけた―、答えがなかった」
(3)下文を略して、不審や不安を表明したり、軽い感動を表したりする。天草本平家物語「あの木をば自らこそ植ゑさせられた―」。歌舞伎、娘孝行記「『兄源之丞が死にました』『それは今朝まで内にゐた―』」。「あしたも天気だとよい―」
(4)推量の助動詞を受けて二つの事柄を列挙し、そのいずれにも拘束されない意を表す。…と。…とも。浮世風呂(4)「八百屋だろう―前栽(せんぜへ)売りだろう―、おめへにつかまつてはいかねへ」。「雨が降ろう―風が吹こう―行く」
[3](終助詞)
(1)相手の注意をうながしたり、念を押したりする。「…が、それでよいか」「…ぞ」の意。浄瑠璃、夕霧阿波鳴渡「おのれ帰ると命を取る―」。浄瑠璃、女殺油地獄「ある所にはあらう―な」。「みんな困っているんだ―」
(2)(疑問の「か」の転ともいう)希望を表す。上に「し」「てし」「にし」を添えて「しが」「てしが」「にしが」とする。また「がな」「がも」「もが」「もがな」「もがもな」となることもある。後世には「がな」が主に用いられた。
[二]〔接続〕(接続助詞からの転用)であるが。だが。「おとなしい。―、酔うと人が変わる」
は(助詞)
Spoiler! :
〔助詞〕(現代語での発音はワ)
[1](係助詞)体言・副詞・形容詞や助詞などを受け、それに関して説明しようとする物事を取りあげて示す。取りあげるのは既に話題となるなど自明な内容で、その点に、事実の描写などで新たな話題を示す「が」との違いがあるとされる。格を表す語ではなく、主格・目的格・補格など種々の格の部分でも使われる。「は」を受けて結ぶ活用語は、余情を込めるなど特別な意味を表す場合を除いて、通常は終止形で結ぶ。→が。
(1)他と区別して取り出していう意を表す。古事記(上)「青山に〓(ぬえ)―鳴きぬ」。万葉集(20)「足ひきの山菅の根し長く―ありけり」。源氏物語(桐壺)「はじめより我―と思ひ上がり給へる御方々」。「僕が帰るから、君―いなさい」「辛く―あるが頑張る」
(2)叙述の題目を提示する。万葉集(1)「大宮人―船並めて朝川渡り」。竹取物語「石つくりの皇子―心のしたくある人にて」。天草本平家物語「一の谷―、北は山、南は海」。「象―鼻が長い」「酒―静かに飲むのがいい」「花―桜木」
(3)連用修飾する語句に続き、前の語句の表す内容を強調する。万葉集(2)「わぎもこに恋ひつつあらず―秋萩の咲きて散りぬる花にあらましを」
(4)不定称の語に付いて、どの一つであってもの意で、全部がそうであることを表す。古今和歌集東歌「みちのくはいづく―あれど塩釜の浦漕ぐ舟の綱手かなしも」。「何―無くとも、あなたさえいればいい」
(5)仮定条件と解される文脈に用いる。「ば」と濁音化しても使われる(「ば」を未然形に接続する接続助詞とする説もある)。「ずは」は、江戸時代以後「ざあ」と転じて使われることもある。万葉集(18)「見ず―のぼらじ」。古今和歌集(雑)「恋ひしく―とぶらひ来ませ」。勅規桃源抄「卿相にならずわかへるまいと盟(ちかう)たほどに、不帰(かえらぬ)ぞ」。浄瑠璃、長町女腹切「逢たく―、半七ばかり明日おぢや」。いろは文庫「もしそれともに、途(みち)で逢はずば、観音堂で待合はさう」。歌舞伎、青砥稿花紅彩画「知らざあ言つて聞かせやせう」。「相手に知られて―困る」「行かず―なるまい」→ば。
[2](終助詞)文末にあって余情・詠嘆の意を表す。万葉集(20)「今日よりは顧みなくて大君の醜の御楯と出で立つ我―」。伊勢物語「いかがはせむ―」→わ。
[3](格助詞)方向を表す「へ」の上代東国方言。万葉集(20)「我が背なを筑紫―遣りてうつくしみ帯(えひ)は解かななあやにかも寝む」
and also, can you translate "と言えば聞こえはいい" for me?

thanks for the help
Lare has put it into English nicely. :)
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

larethian wrote:yes to Denyuuden and Itsuten. unfortunately your Japanese will not improve a lot working on this, since it's written in short simple sentences, though sometimes things can get messy. it's best not to translate literally, but yet it's hard not to translate it literally; I don't really know how to explain this myself. but that's why I stop caring about the translated sentences after a while, and why I work on other projects as well. though the story and characters still remain as one of my favorites. anyone who's into fantasies should like them if they are patient for the plot and characters to thicken.

言いながら、だるそうに髪をいじる美少女……と言えば聞こえはいい。
Here, I think Naoki is saying that calling her a 'bishoujo' sounds 'nice', the following sentence that describes her appearance actually creates the contrast that reinforces this.

*yes typo, fixed.
i couldn't get the raw from jcafe, the given links are dead.
alright, base on your judgement(if my translation is acceptable), assign me to either mahouka or otaria, i'm interested in both so doing any is ok to me.
Currently addicted to Acchi Kocchi's manga translation. Sorry BT, for not translating the novel I had registered :(
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Itsuten's raws links should still be valid. Denyuuden's raws are available in abundance across the net; I can send them to you. You can also try reading the fan-translated Chinese versions to get a feel of the story.

EDIT: you might want to watch the anime until episode 3 which might motivate you to see what's being cut off from the novels. latest 4chan discussion for whatever it's worth: http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/57480373
Even though this anime (which comprises only the first series) has finished airing for nearly a year, every week, there will be at least a new thread spawned ranting about how this would never get a season 2.

If comparing Rettousei vs Otaria, the language used in Otaria is much easier and the nature of Otaria's story makes it more tolerant towards mistakes. It's also easier for me to proof-read Otaria (if I ever get the time), since proof-reading Rettousei is like doing the translation myself (meaning same amount of time spent LOL). You only need to be mindful of slangs and contractions and Otaku language in Otaria, which you will get used to it in time. Just keep posting your doubts. Go to the link Doraneko provided to better understand the fundamentals of particles and grammar.
Hazue
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hazue »

larethian wrote:Itsuten's raws links should still be valid. Denyuuden's raws are available in abundance across the net; I can send them to you. You can also try reading the fan-translated Chinese versions to get a feel of the story.
alright, i will read the chinese version first.
larethian wrote:EDIT: you might want to watch the anime until episode 3 which might motivate you to see what's being cut off from the novels. latest 4chan discussion for whatever it's worth: http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/57480373
Even though this anime (which comprises only the first series) has finished airing for nearly a year, every week, there will be at least a new thread spawned ranting about how this would never get a season 2.
u mean denyuuden? do you think i should read the light novel first or watch the anime first? in my past experience, unless the anime was done perfectly else reading the light novel before watch anime will always lead me to disappointment when watch the anime.
larethian wrote:If comparing Rettousei vs Otaria, the language used in Otaria is much easier and the nature of Otaria's story makes it more tolerant towards mistakes. It's also easier for me to proof-read Otaria (if I ever get the time), since proof-reading Rettousei is like doing the translation myself (meaning same amount of time spent LOL). You only need to be mindful of slangs and contractions and Otaku language in Otaria, which you will get used to it in time. Just keep posting your doubts. Go to the link Doraneko provided to better understand the fundamentals of particles and grammar.
ok, after taking a look on denyuuden then i will decide on whether to work on otaria or denyuuden.

oh and, thx doraneko for the link, i will check it out when i'm in translating mood.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Uhm, do we really need such a generalistic thread? Wouldnt it be better if those questions would be handled project (series) specific?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Darklor wrote:Uhm, do we really need such a generalistic thread? Wouldnt it be better if those questions would be handled project (series) specific?
I've already taken the Denyuuden Q&A to PM level.

For translation check-wise, the reason is because a project thread may not even be available yet. and also, not all translators check all the project threads, I know I don't, unless I happened to be bored. Besides in the case of Hazue, he's still deciding on which project to work on.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

I mean werent there always such threads in the Lingua Franca Section? So why not create here a Project or Series specific thread (even if it isnt a full project or something completely different) if the need arises? I dont think that it has to be on PM level, its just that if there are ever project specific forums for those series, and the questions are answered, they could be placed into the subsections of the specific project...

Darklor

larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I ask you to read my title and my first post and the post before yours again. Especially take note of the word in the thread title, Generic. Perhaps, I should rename it to "Thread for Generic Translated Content, Feedback from Translators Appreciated".
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

larethian wrote:I ask you to read my title and my first post and the post before yours again. Especially take note of the word in the thread title, Generic. Perhaps, I should rename it to "Thread for Generic Translated Content, Feedback from Translators Appreciated".
Yeah, I did read the title. Thats the reason I wonder, because it seems to me as if this topic tries to compress one purpose of the Lingua Franca Section into one thread. Is this desirable?

So this thread was just for the special occasion to try out which translation project would be harder? But has it to be sticky if it is like that?

----
Maybe its just me, because I dont like the Generic idea (and would prefer many (little) special purpose threads which could be easily moved if the purpose is gone - somehow new created subforums of our new projects will have use for some fill material ;) ), that I cant understand your reasoning at the moment (maybe its also because it is so late). Its just that I think, that it is one purpose of the Lingua Franca Section to be generic, so that many different threads for questions regarding translation problems and pleas for help and feedback can be created here. Its just that, that I always said "ask also here in this scetion, if you have problems with a translation", if there wasnt enough traffic in a project thread.

Btw. Will those test translation also appear in the wiki in the end?

Darklor

jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Re: Generic Translated Content, Feedback Appreciated

Post by jonathanasdf »

I need help again, thanks in advance.

繁華街から通りを二つくらい隔てた広めの道路の上で,...

I can't decrypt this sentence at all.
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

jonathanasdf wrote:I need help again, thanks in advance.

繁華街から通りを二つくらい隔てた広めの道路の上で,...

I can't decrypt this sentence at all.
It is something like
Spread out across just 2 roads downtown
I think the sentence is supposed to be in past tense
繁華街 can mean something similar to a shopping or business district too depending on its context
hope that helps i would do more but i dont really know the context of the sentence
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

[On a wide road two streets away from downtown...]と思いますが。。。何の全文で使う?それを表示しました方がいいと思います。
まず隗より始めよ。
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

敵?敵ってことは、もしや。
anyone have any input on this? I'm not particularly sure about it
Enemy? “Enemy trouble,” perhaps?

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”