HOW to progress?

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

HOW to progress?

Post by endarion88 »

Hello everyone it's been more or less 8/9 months (yes i'm slow i'm sorry! i'm not like a certain little sister! jokes aside i've been busy and could not spent all the time i wanted in study) and today i finished my textbook of elementary japanese, for reference i used "genki an integrated course in elementary japanese" course textbook and i somewhat memorized around 310 kanji. Now i'm a bit lost on how to progress from here, i searched around and found some useful link on this section but many were really old so some link was broken and some book mentioned are really hard to find now

I won't illude myself thinking that elementary grammar will be enought for translating a light novel so i really think i need more study and i dont mean only kanji (i can check the kanji i don't know yet thanks to some online kanji dictionary) but grammar too specialy those thing written in hiragana wich do not have a really "literal" translation

for now i'm trying to read a light novel i liked and purcased and i try to read raw mangas and then i wait to see a translation out too se how i did, same for anime
i also try to get lirics of song i like and try to translate them

now i accept all kind of suggestion, book, sites and anything else. If someone is willing to give me some min of theyr time every now and then i'm also willing to give my skype contact

for now i also tryed to order some more advacend textbook but i din't have any recommendation so i will just check them and hope to find a good one wile i continue to look in the link i found already on the forum but generaly is easyer for me to study on a book or something whit good explaination rather than just examples

thank for your time anyway
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: HOW to progress?

Post by stellarroze »

I recommend www.wanikani.com for learning kanji and vocab. It's brilliant but starts slow, well worth the subscription price. Imabi is pretty good for grammar and the Core2K,6K anki decks for more vocab. If you want to start reading, you should probably start with shounen manga since they have furigana.

I hope this helps somewhat~
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

In case you're a richfag and have an iOS device, I'd suggest StickyStudy. Contains all Vocab/Kanji for JLPT5 to 1. Grammar-wise, I like guidetojapanese for starters, and the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar for advanced stuff. You won't have any exercises with those though. In case you choose said dictionary, don't skip the "basic" one. It says basic, but the grammar contained is pretty advanced. Except for the kanji/vocab app, everything can be found online "for free", if you know how to google.

Oh, and don't forget to apply at guhehe once you feel like translating. :mrgreen:
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by endarion88 »

sadly i'm not a richfag XD actualy i'm pretty poor even if reach the level for translating things i will have to stick to 1 order x year or shipping fee will kill me.. but i really want to be able to translate light novels

would be helpfull for your suggestion if if take time and make a list of the things i learned this far?

http://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp/act/en ... =2&c2id=17

are this the dictionary you refer too?
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Yeah, I'd still advise you to get them... in a... cheaper way.

endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by endarion88 »

ok i will see whit google sensei what i can do, also thank you for your invite but as i'm right now, i'm more that willing to try translate something but i will need a constant translation check so i will probably be just a bother even if that would probably help me a lot since someone would actually tell me what i got wrong still would be a onesided gain so totaly uncorrect to your end... actualy that's probably the worse part in self studing, you have no one to tell you if you did something wrong or right
Arcsol93
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Arcsol93 »

I don't know how reliable it is, but for vocab I just use http://www.jlptstudy.net/
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by endarion88 »

ok i found those 3 dictionary and a textbook of intermediate japanese, grammar wise this should keep me busy for some time, now anyone can recomend me a good book for kanji? also i read around about making "flashcards" to help memorize kanji but how do i make those?
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

You should really try to get your hands on a cheap iOS device on which StickyStudy would run, maybe a friend or relative can help out. Flashcards are much better than just memorizing readings by books. If not, google how to make them. Still, I prefer having them on my mobile device.

endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by endarion88 »

maibe i can manage to "make it work" on my pc, will se what i can do but those kind of device are really too expensive for me...is not like i'm against it, i'm just...poor XD
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

Well, I'm speakin' about old and used. Should be near affordable. You'd have to ask the guy who programs it which device it has to be at least. I can only confirm a 3GS working with the app.

If you can, however, make it work on your PC or whatever, all the better.

endarion88
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by endarion88 »

well in fact i would kind of like it on a portable device so i can rewiew even just 10 15 min when i got time even if i'm no at home...will try to see what i can find to a cheap ....really cheap price

also thank you for taking you time to give me suggestion
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

If you want faster replies, just visit our chat and say "cautr", which will notify me on my phone in case I'm online. (And no, I don't check my phone every minute, so sometimes it takes a while)

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”