Tagalog should be changed

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

diesus
Astral Realm

Tagalog should be changed

Post by diesus »

The wikang Tagalog is the old National language used in the Philippines. Then it was changed into the wikang Pilipino which is also Tagalog but incorporating various other languages in the country (for example wikang Visaya, wikang Bikolano). Yes, correct! Visaya, Bikolano, and other languages used in the country is called "wika" (literally means language). Dialect is an incorrect way of addressing those said languages. Let's take for example Tagalog which is the most used language in the country. Tagalog is called "wika" while Bulacan Tagalog is what we call dialect or "dialekto". These said languages, with respect to their dialect, were incorporated into the new National language called Pilipino.

Then it was further changed into Filipino. The F signifies that the language has accepted the borrowed foreign words used by the Filipinos. Shouldn't we change Tagalog translations into Filipino, the current national language of the country? It would be easier then for a Filipino reader to read the translations.

To further explain this for our Tagalog translators, Filipino has Tagalog as its base plus incorporating both the local and foreign languages. Taking for example the Tagalog word for electricity would be "dagitab" but today, "kuryente" (from the Spanish word for current) is used more often. I was thinking that we current Tagalog translators should use Filipino for our translations.
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Tagalog should be changed

Post by shichinanatsu »

a good point, if one should be so inclined to uphold political correctness. though as of now, the only alternate language project B-T hosts with regards to Filipino would be that of SHnY, which has been inactive for quite sometime now.

not that i'm putting down the effort and the language, (oo pinoy ako, at proud ako dun, kahit na nagkanda leche-leche na ang buong bansa) but filipino isn't really a 'reader-friendly' language. i mean, if you reside here in my part of the world, and are thus familiar with the language, the way filipino is used in everyday print somehow feels 'informal' (i am aware of how socio-linguistically biased this sounds like, but it is not my intention, for the record) - as compared to the 'formal' nature of using english in print.

in more contemporary filipino literature, another part of the problem lies in its being too arcane. native filipino speakers are prone to resorting to more familiar foreign words when referring to certain things, and by doing this consequently drop the filipino word when it escapes memory. over the years the system continues, even expands in influence, as more and more words are cast into the dustbin of history, labeling them as 'malalim na salita'. (literally, deep words, and in this case 'deep' takes on the meaning of 'profound' with an added negative connotation of being 'out-of-date')

lastly, most filipinos who would be so inclined as to bother with getting their hands on japanese light novels, are already more or less armed with sufficient command of the english language. in my case, i can better understand something written in an unknown language if it were translated into english, rather than filipino.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”