Emphasis dots?

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zyzzyva165
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Emphasis dots?

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

I encountered this issue in SnS translation. Emphasis dots? It is like commas right beside (parallel, right side) of the text- houten (傍点). I don't really understand what it means. How should I translate it into English? Or should I just ignore the dots?
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Macko Darlack

Re: Emphasis dots?

Post by Macko Darlack »

found this:
(1) marks or dots used to emphasize text passage (emphasise), (2) marks to facilitate reading of kanbun

maybe u know what's kanbun, 'cause i don't... hope that helps :D
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:found this:
(1) marks or dots used to emphasize text passage (emphasise), (2) marks to facilitate reading of kanbun

maybe u know what's kanbun, 'cause i don't... hope that helps :D
Emphasis...... That's a bit tough to translate. So should I bold the emphasized part? Or should I CAPITALIZE it? Or italicizing? OR... just put " " before and after the text? :|
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

i'm no expert, but what's what you're trying to emphazise??
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

I think pasting here an example would be better. both for explanation for you, and learning purposes for others..
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Macko Darlack wrote:i'm no expert, but what's what you're trying to emphazise??
Various things...Eg:

1. I have no objection towards this person who would come into the picture sooner or later.

2. If that is the case so what?

3. that thing (sou iu koto)

4. unprepared contact

salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

Zyzzyva165 wrote: 3. that thing (sou iu koto)
smhow this sounds strange.. as in the translation..
or that may just be me though..
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

salv87 wrote:
Zyzzyva165 wrote: 3. that thing (sou iu koto)
smhow this sounds strange.. as in the translation..
or that may just be me though..
Well, maybe. But that's not really the issue here, isn't it? I can change that later if it's wrong...
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

yeah.. but still. I want to make sure for myself, since it'll be handy in the future..
sorry for the offtopic though ^_^
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

Zyzzyva165 wrote:Various things...Eg:

1. I have no objection towards this person who would come into the picture sooner or later.

2. If that is the case so what?

3. that thing (sou iu koto)

4. unprepared contact

mmm so, taking #2, like: "We certainly do not know if she's pregnat. If thats is the case so what?" or #3 "Are you going to wear that thing?
sth like that? i think it should be italicized. or can u write the whole context? i think it varies from what you're tryng to emphasize. for example, if someone is yelling, CAPITALIZING would be better. in novels i haven't ever seen a bold word, so i think this one is out... and about " ", well, i'm not used to read in english, just a few books, and since in english you use "" (in spanish we use ― to insert dialogs), isn't that confusing to have: "Are you going to wear "that thing"?" dunno, it looks strange to me... i support capitalizing and italicizing...
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

SnS Vol 3 Chapter 4:

Strictly speaking, Alastor’s true form was in Shana. Since ‘Cocytus’ can return to her hands immediately if she has a desire with Alastor, regardless of what it is; it is dangerous to have excessive fantasies- (-but, “if that’s the case, so what?”)

“Nevertheless, 'I have no objection towards this person who would come into the picture sooner or later.” Just that I had no idea that this day would come so quickly, moreover to a youngster with such a standard......oops, a slip of tongue, my lady.”

“Anyway, I want you to be more careful, and avoid suggestion like yesterday which can lead to “unprepared contact” between Shana and Yūji Sakai.”

Lately, incidents had always cause him to relate to ‘that thing’. After all, before he could think deeply about it, he always stopped with incomplete feelings.

Currently, I am using " " or ' '. But I'll change them if there are better ways...
Macko Darlack

Post by Macko Darlack »

i'd rather use italics, but if you let me choose between ' and ", i'd prefer ' :D
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

Macko Darlack wrote:i'd rather use italics, but if you let me choose between ' and ", i'd prefer ' :D
same here
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Italics huh? Any other opinions?
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Another example here:

よけいなの[#「よけいなの」に傍点]に引っ捕まりそうになっても.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”