Japanese in 18 Months? No way!!!

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kamikuro
Reader
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Japanese in 18 Months? No way!!!

Post by Kamikuro »

Well... This seems amazing yet I do not think I'd be able to go 18 months not understanding the anime I'm watching :I
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Well, you can always cheat, Khazumoto said, one of the more important aspects is you to have fun learning japanese, in the moment you can't have fun it's useless, If you are only watching the season animes, you can watch them subtitled as they are few ones... :mrgreen: and use some other movie, podcast, something that don't have subtitles, that you will have fun, and won't care for don't understanding somethings :lol:
Call me Nurin!

Kamikuro
Reader

Post by Kamikuro »

Nura rihan wrote:Well, you can always cheat, Khazumoto said, one of the more important aspects is you to have fun learning japanese, in the moment you can't have fun it's useless, If you are only watching the season animes, you can watch them subtitled as they are few ones... :mrgreen: and use some other movie, podcast, something that don't have subtitles, that you will have fun, and won't care for don't understanding somethings :lol:
My otaku senses are detecting a chance to learn Japanese now... I think I will attempt this for hopefully more than a month xD
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Well, I will say to you, now I am watching almost every anime from the raw(with except of nisio's series, it's freakings hard to understand if you have a low level). But I started learning japanese while I was watching subtitled, I just not read the subs, I listened them and started to organise the words on my mind, and the result was good, now can watch them from the raw, and for the words I still not understand, I guess the meaning from the entire sentence...

Well, anyway, I hope you good luck with your journey :wink:
Call me Nurin!

Kouen no Ten
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kouen no Ten »

If you want to read Japanese, then the fastest way I recommend would be studying, and remembering the vocabulary in their kana (which should include both Kanji & Hiragana) form.

Just learning about 1000 most used words would give you enough skills, to understand about 75-88% of text, depending on literature. Even if you learn just 10 vocabs per day, you will be done in about 3-1/2 months.

Don't worry if you can't read Kanji, but if you are complete beginner, I strongly recommend learning Hiragana, and Katakana with great stress before starting. One more thing, don't try to master this in just one day, this will take time. Plan, organize, and set goals.

Here are some questions to help you plan,

How many vocabulary are you planing to tackle per day?

What means will you be using to help you remember the vocabulary?

How much time per day are you planing to spare for learning Japanese?

Are you the type who browses internet in your learning time?

Motivational,

Do you have what it takes to do it?

Do you want to read and, translate Light novels at Baka-Tsuki?

Do you want to become the big guy around who knows Japanese?

Resources,

http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt5/vocab/ - All the vocabulary you will be needing. Start with JLPT Level 5.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/japanese- ... ts/?page=1 - Same one as before, but I recommend sticking to only one of them.

http://www.tofugu.com/2013/05/14/learni ... -hantaigo/ Few tips if your having trouble remembering.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/basic - If you are complete beginner.
Arcsol93
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Arcsol93 »

Ok so took a browse through most of the pages here and I have taken interest in learning it for a while now but live in a deadbeat area with no resources and classes. Is the first link given on the very first page a valid thing to start with or is it outdated after three years? Or should I just follow the links of the one posted above me?
"It's true that the real world is a shitty game. It's both unreasonable...and illogical...But a happy end will never come to those who want to finish a difficult game with ease." -The World God Only Knows
Kimzark
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Absolute Duo, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Unlimited Fafnir, Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden, Saijaki Muhai no Bahamut, Hundred, Date a Live, Oda Nobuna no Yabou and many others ^^

Post by Kimzark »

Ok so... i'm one of those guys who is extremelly impatient and likes to refresh the update pages from several places (light novels - baka-tsuki FB, Manga - Kissmanga, Anime - Kissanime). For example, ive looked raw mangas up, only to see the pictures and imagine the story for myself (freezing and sekirei for example), and i've watched raw animes, only so i could see the animations from the light novels ive read before (Absolute Duo <3).
Since i'm currently a NEET, i have the time to learn the language (at least for now, but i definitly will want to continue in the future) and help out with my favorite stuff... so what i'm trying to say is that i'm going to give this a shot, and try to learn it. i hope that in the future, ill be able to help out with some translations of both light novels and mangas :D
Kimzark
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel: Absolute Duo, Madan no Ou to Vanadis, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Unlimited Fafnir, Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden, Saijaki Muhai no Bahamut, Hundred, Date a Live, Oda Nobuna no Yabou and many others ^^

Post by Kimzark »

Humm, i don't know if the method i'm using is the "best" one to learn the kanji, so i would like some suggestions, about how to improve my method, or by using a completly different one...
I've learn about 29 kanji in about 3 days (i started this thursday), and the method i'm using is:
- Downloaded the book recomended on the very first post of this thread (Remembering Kanji I)
- Used a notebook with the meaning - kanji, and did practice write them a few more times
- During the day i try to remember them all, and once i managed to remember them, i introduce some 1-3 new kanji to that list
But i'm afraid once i get some more kanji in my list, that i might start forgetting some of the "older" ones... so should i just keep this method? Should i add or change anything? Or shall i try a completly new method?

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”