Japanese in 18 Months? No way!!!

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

j112
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Japanese in 18 Months? No way!!!

Post by j112 »

you read it wrong probably its ソード not ンード, so it'd be pronounced soodo or sword
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Anyone can help me translate this part?

すべてのきらぬきを身にまとい
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
j112
Project Translator

Post by j112 »

I think its something like, all of my clothes, except the ones on my body, are being shot at. but im not sure
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

Kira0802 wrote:Anyone can help me translate this part?

すべてのきらぬきを身にまとい
Are you sure it isn't きらめき? There is a good chance that it is a typo or OCR error.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Doraneko wrote:
Kira0802 wrote:Anyone can help me translate this part?

すべてのきらぬきを身にまとい
Are you sure it isn't きらめき? There is a good chance that it is a typo or OCR error.
Ah...true. Checked, and it's め indeed.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
iamaidiot
Astral Realm

Post by iamaidiot »

I have been practicing by using the Basic Kanji Book series and I have a questions about some things that are confusing me.

How do you know when the use the オンヨミ readings instead of the more normal くんよみ readings?
The book doesn't use katakana when it uses the オンヨミ and instead uses hiragana.. why?

Example sentence:
あの山は筑波山です The second river kanji is translated as さん even though its using the オンヨミ reading of サん.

Sorry for asking about this but its bugging the hell out of me and confusing me.
I have no problem memorizing meaning of the kanji and the くんよみ readings.(Though 日 gets me with its 3rd reading of か)
オンヨミ is getting me big time though.
Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zell_ff8 »

iamaidiot wrote:I have been practicing by using the Basic Kanji Book series and I have a questions about some things that are confusing me.

How do you know when the use the オンヨミ readings instead of the more normal くんよみ readings?
The book doesn't use katakana when it uses the オンヨミ and instead uses hiragana.. why?

Example sentence:
あの山は筑波山です The second river kanji is translated as さん even though its using the オンヨミ reading of サん.

Sorry for asking about this but its bugging the hell out of me and confusing me.
I have no problem memorizing meaning of the kanji and the くんよみ readings.(Though 日 gets me with its 3rd reading of か)
By custom. You just have to get used to them. There is no strict rule. Just learn vocabulary, you will retain the reading along the visual image of the kanji.

For the furigana, it's always in hiragana, it doesn't mather if its kun or on yomi.
e.g.
今日は = きょうは (kun yomi)
今日は = こんにちは (on yomi)
坂道 = さかみち (kun yomi)
山道 = さんどう (on yomi)

The only case where you'll find furigana in katakana is in a literally use, when the author uses a synonym as furigana to a japanese word, and that synonym is a gairaigo or need emphasis, e.g. 人造人間 (サイボーグ) (the word itself is in on yomi, じんぞうにんげん).

This is the first time on my life I ever saw "オンヨミ" written in katakana, or difference pronunciations by kun=hiragana, on=katakana (only saw that on kanji charts or dictionaries, but that's a matter of design, when you write a word spelling you always use hiragana whatever the reading). I don't know what book you're using, but I suggest you to throw it to the trash bin.

iamaidiot wrote:オンヨミ is getting me big time though.
In fact kunyomi is often more difficult, because it means "exceptions" and you are completely alone on that. With onyomi is much easier to guess a pronunciation based on readings of other know words. Plus the fact that most compounds are spelled in onyomi. So when you find a new compound, you'll be trying several onyomi combinations just to realize you'll never get it because it was an exception and spelled in kunyomi.

Using the previous example, 坂道. If you don't know that word, I bet you'll be trying to guess it as "はんどう", because 道 in most words is spelled "どう" (suffix as in 空手道、柔道、合気道、弓道, compounds as 歩道、非道、水道) and 坂 obtains its sound from radicals, as 反、版、叛、阪、板, all spelled はん.
道 is a good example because it has tons of words read as kunyomi, so if you don't know them beforehand you can't know its reading.

You have pure kunyomi compounds
血道 ちみち
石道 いしみち
pure onyomi compounds
赤道 せきどう
鉄道 てつどう
and even both,
花道 かどう / はなみち (different words!)

花道
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by rpapo »

Zell_ff8 wrote:For the furigana, it's always in hiragana, it doesn't mather if its kun or on yomi.
I encountered a rather humorous use of furigana the other day, on page 262 of Golden Time (the third of the four pages in the postscript). The author had written「昼休みずらし」(lunch shift, or lunch break), but then added furigana to that, in katakana: 「エスケープフロムエンプロイメント」("Escape From Employment", in phonetic English).

That was not the first time I'd run into furigana written in katakana, either.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

ジャイル as gyre or jail?

Just think about it without any context. I'm tending towards gyre, but am unsure.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:ジャイル as gyre or jail?

Just think about it without any context. I'm tending towards gyre, but am unsure.
Ehh it's difficult to get anywhere without the context. But if I need to pick one maybe it is gyre.

Also these are not necessarily the only English terms compatible with the word. It could as well be some random stuff the speaker/writer pulled out of thin air.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Thanks, my question's been resolved.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Tried translating this passage to Japanese from 山月記:

偶因狂疾成殊類
災患相仍不可逃
今日爪牙誰敢敵
当時声跡共相高
我為異物蓬茅下
君已乗軺気勢豪
此夕渓山対明月
不成長嘯但成嘷

So...
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:
> Tried translating this passage to Japanese from 山月記

書き下し文でOKなら、たとえ適当に日本語っぽくしてもまあまあ通じるって感じじゃん。

偶狂疾に因りて殊類と成る
災患相仍りて逃がるべからず
今日の爪牙誰か敢て敵せん
当時の声跡共に相高し
我は異物と為る蓬茅の下
君は已に軺に乗りて気勢豪なり
此の夕べ渓山 明月に対し
長嘯を成さずして但だ嘷を成す
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

いや、日本語っぽいってかまあまあ通じるって目的じゃないですわ。辞書を引かずに読めるほどじゃないですからね。そもそも中国語はヘタでうまく意味が取れなかったから、ちょっと助けを求めてここにきたわけです。どこかから貼りついても、日本語を練習するためにやるから意味はありませんですわ。
carinderyeah
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by carinderyeah »

wow
P.S. Feel free to PM me anything you want, oh, be as random as possible
Irritated beyond endurance, I gripped the table's edge, and prepared to use the technique which had been passed down by my grandfather, namely «Table Flip».

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”