Translation Questions (Bakemonogatari)

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

kerrichan
Astral Realm

Translation Questions (Bakemonogatari)

Post by kerrichan »

Okay, this is particular to the bakemonogatari light novel that I'm translating, but I didn't want to interrupt the ongoing discussion, so I decided to post here instead. =X

For those who are interested, feel free to drop a reply. :)

There are two particular problematic words:

aronalpha: a brand of instant adhesives (refer to http://www.aronalpha.com/)

and

Gachuck = also known as paper shark. The alternative to paper clips and staplers that claim to not leave any marks on the paper. (refer to http://www.thepapershark.com/)

My problem is whether I should leave the words "gachuck" and "aronalpha" in the text, and include the explanations in the translator notes (which seem quite a bit of a hassle) or to include the English equivalent? (aronalpha = instant adhesive; gachuck = paper shark?)

Another bit of a problem: Though Japanese have several forms of you (ie. omae, teme, anata, kimi, etc) when we translate to English it all becomes "you". However, if a character happens to say "お前よばりしないでちょうだい” what is an appropriate translation?

Will appreciate comments and help with the above. :)
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Translation Questions

Post by joay_b »

My problem is whether I should leave the words "gachuck" and "aronalpha" in the text, and include the explanations in the translator notes (which seem quite a bit of a hassle) or to include the English equivalent? (aronalpha = instant adhesive; gachuck = paper shark?)
Usually I use one of them (e.g. "gachuck") and leave the other (i.e. "paper shark"), plus appropriate comments, buried as a hidden text. And then leave it to the proof-readers and editors to fight them over. Makes for more interesting discussions :twisted:
お前よばりしないでちょうだい
Literal: "You! No abuses, please!"

This is assuming ばりしないで is some prohibitive form of ばりする (罵詈する, to abuse).

P.S. Ignore this if you feel this is incorrect :mrgreen:
まず隗より始めよ。
kerrichan
Astral Realm

Post by kerrichan »

joay_b wrote:
Literal: "You! No abuses, please!"

This is assuming ばりしないで is some prohibitive form of ばりする (罵詈する, to abuse).

P.S. Ignore this if you feel this is incorrect :mrgreen:
Oops. My bad. It should be 「お前呼ばわりしないでちょうだい」

Haha~ thank you~ I'll take your advice about the gachuck and aronalpha. :)
joay_b
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by joay_b »

「お前呼ばわりしないでちょうだい」
The sentence above can be written as: "Please don't call me 'you'."

The problem here is that 'you' word, right?

At this point I would fall back on Anglo-American slang for the available choices. Try on these for size:

a) kiddo, sonny, laddie, man, dude, buddy, pal

b) gal, girlie, lady, woman, dear, sweetheart

c) *Ask anyone fluent in American/British name-calling*
まず隗より始めよ。
RonnieCorny
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by RonnieCorny »

if i may inject,it's Aron Alpha (2 words)... minor stuff...

hehehe... it's basically superglue...

- ron
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Its an informal "you" right? (I think in german we would have an equivalent for that - "Please, dont say 'Du' (to me)" - (Bitte, Duz mich nicht)) but in english... How would it be with: "Please, dont address/call me so informally?"
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Joay_b, is more or less xorrect, if you want to go down the "slang" route if you wish to keep it to a more contemporary style.

However, if you want a really informal address of "You" in English English, that is on the verge of an discreet insult would be, "that one", "you know, her!" or "Why, it is she.."

However, if the context that the phrase is also a connotation for intimate language between close long term friends/lovers then the words "dearest", "sugar", "flower", honey", "treasure", "kitten", "darling", "pet" or "love" is more suitable...and yes, I've heard them used commonly, only in the U.K.! Home of the English language.... :roll:

"
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
kerrichan
Astral Realm

Post by kerrichan »

Thanks for all the input. :) I think I'll go with "Don't address me so informally" since it sounds more like the character in question. :)

Ron, for some reason I didn't think of superglue when I saw "instant adhesive". ^^;; I think I'll just call it superglue so that the chapter flows more smoothly.

Joay, I'll include it as hidden text for the editors to decide. :)
RonnieCorny
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by RonnieCorny »

well, unless you've used that brand before, i don't think anyone would know it... i'm not sure if it's that popular... it's just that i've used it before... :D

- ron
kerrichan wrote:Ron, for some reason I didn't think of superglue when I saw "instant adhesive". ^^;; I think I'll just call it superglue so that the chapter flows more smoothly.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”