Translation Questions - Toradora Spinoff 2

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Translation Questions - Toradora Spinoff 2

Post by rpapo »

The results of all that conversation is now posted. Chapter section closed. Now time to do another page of Golden Time...
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

rpapo wrote: On the other hand, nobody's really complaining about my flubs, at least not yet.
Of course not - we are happy to get every translated part that is understandable
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Well, I try to write coherent English. My biggest handicap in that regard is too much respect for other languages' grammar. They aren't as strange to me as they might be to others, so sometimes I can be found using structures that may seem strange to somebody who only understands English.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Oh, I think that problem have many no native English speaker here too, some native speakers probably too :twisted: ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Here's a new one, a paragraph that's had me stumped for the past day:
そしてせっかく整ったツラをソラマメみたいに斜め下方向に伸ばし、嫌みったらしく顎までしゃくれさせて言いやがるのだ。
Soshite sekkaku totonotta tsura o soramame mitai ni naname kahoukou ni nobashi, iyamitta-rashiku ago made shakuresasete koto/gen iyagaru no da.
Literally translated, somebody appears to be screwing up their face, preparing to make a cutting remark . . . I think. In that case, it is describing Taiga, who just spoke is about to speak again, at Ryuuji. Or perhaps Ryuuji is putting on a doleful face at a remark he sees coming from her.

FWIW, Taiga's remark after this paragraph is:
「ねぇ、あんた今こんなんしてたよねぇ。『ふっふーん♪』」
"Nee, anta ima konnan shiteta yo nee. 'Fuffuun♪' "
Currently, I think of that as something like "Hey, now you've gone and done it!", followed by a mocking hum.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

well, I'm never good with descriptions like this. I believe the actor can be inferred, but for now I'll use <actor>. I'll explain, not translate.

apparently, the <actor> was making some contorted face earlier (angry, probably), and had just recovered her normal neutral face. I inferred that from this:
せっかく整ったツラ, which has already happened. in other words, even though she had already make her face normal again, but yet, she got pissed again.

rest is just description: like a broad bean / resembling a broad bean, she twisted (real pissed) and pulled her face downwards; --> ソラマメみたいに斜め下方向に伸ばし

turned up her chin in a disagreeable manner, and said (something) in contempt. --> 嫌みったらしく顎までしゃくれさせて言いやがるのだ
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Taiga had indeed been making a strange face earlier, which the author had described as resembling the stereotypical Hyottoko face (a traditional mask). Ryuuji hadn't been making any particular face at all.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”