Translation Questions - Golden Time

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Zell_ff8
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Translation Questions - Golden Time

Post by Zell_ff8 »

rpapo wrote:Here's something that (I think) you guys may be able to answer for me, and I really want to get right: In my current page of Golden Time, Kouko and Banri are ambushed by a new club recruiter, a tall female third-year student. I think she is NANA (see the big foldout illustration at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 06-007.jpg, right-hand upper corner), but the text doesn't say at this point.
I don't remember the pages, but checked just now lightly over 84-105 and that's way before Nana. The bobcut matches, but the description of cheerful doesn't match quite good. Ah, and NANA is much likely a parody of Nana Osaki from NANA. Certainly that senpai is not NANA; she's from the creepy cult (that's in the next chapter)

rpapo wrote:Anyway, in describing herself, she says:
私も実はここの学生じゃなくて、●女の三年なんだ
This translates roughly to:
I’m not really even a student here, a third year female ______
. I think the jirusi is used as a wildcard, like when in sentences you use: "僕の名は○○です。/はじめまして、○○くん" (same use as "dotted line" when reading an incomplete sentence, but in japanese is "marumaru"). In written form I've often see the same use but with only one maru, and it's another form of number things like J高校, K県, D先生.
Wiki says the black circle can be used the same way and to distinguish from the white, like two different kind of asterisks.

That's the way I interpreted it back the, she is not from this school, but a third-year student from "●" girls university (there are colleges only for girls, 女子大学). Look at page 105, there is another boy from third-year of "○" university. They don't give names, but are from different universities.
It's a way to not use names for places/persons.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

Thanks. That makes sense. I'd just not seen that usage before, and the internet wasn't providing any clues.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Does anybody have a clue as to the sound-effect word グネグネ? The only reference I find on the internet is with regards to a flexible iPhone holder, and the context doesn't tell me much about what the word really means. I've tried the normal dictionaries & translators, and the word doesn't seem to come up.

Actually, it may be a new adjective, since I don't see it followed by と in the way sound effect words normally are.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I suppose...zig-zaggy? I googled it and got: 中国では、こんなグネグネの橋が多いですが…

With a picture of a zig-zaggy bridge*
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I suppose...zig-zaggy? I googled it and got: 中国では、こんなグネグネの橋が多いですが…

WIth this image.
Well, that particular image got blocked for some reason, but I did a Google image search as well, and I see what you mean. Images of things bent and kinked came up. Zig-zag seems to be about right. I will post it to WWWJDICT and see what the professors think about it.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I haven't posted anything here in forever...

Anyway, does anybody have any idea what 「ウヴォイッ!」means? It seems to be a sort of rallying call or shout, in this case for a soccer team. It seems to be paired with 「アヴォイッ!」

I have not found much about this on the internet, except a relationship with games, or shouts of triumph. Needless to say, it's not in any dictionary I seem to be able find...
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Seems to be unique to Takemiya. She could've just invented it.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Seems to be unique to Takemiya. She could've just invented it.
Judging from the Google hits on it, you're probably right. As you guys may have noticed, I left it untranslated.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Long time, no post. I have found myself stuck these past two weeks on one weird paragraph.
今、自分は、自分の肉体を、命を、憎んでいる。漠然とした不安とか恐怖とかそういう曖昧な気分ではなく、はっきりと、滅ぼして存在を消してやりたい標的として憎んでいる。
The first sentence I have rendered as "Right now, he detested himself, his own flesh, his very life."

The second sentence is the problem. Banri seems to be saying (as narrator) that he hates being the target of something that wants to destroy him, or that he hates wanting to target himself. It is not clear to me what is going on, and I suspect strongly that it matters.

He's really in a funk right now. For context, the following paragraph looks like this:
自分の身体が、触れたところから香子の綺麗な肌に沁み込んで汚すような、黴菌みたいなものに思えるのだ。汚らわしくて、大嫌いだ。捨てて去ることができたならどれだけ心は、魂は、楽になるだろう。
His very body seemed as if it were some sort of germ, soaking into and defiling Kouko’s beautiful skin from the moment she touched him. He was disagreeable and repulsive. He wondered, if he managed to be tossed aside, then to what extent would his heart, his soul, come to be at peace?

目蓋を押さえるこの優しい、ほんわりと温かな香子の手が、頬をたどってするりと下に滑っていって、喉仏をいきなり圧迫してくれればいいのに。優しい彼女がそんなことをするなんて絶対にありえないから、それがちゃんとわかっているから、余裕綽々にそんなことを考えられるのだと自分のことを思う。そんなところも嫌だった。
Kouko’s warm, slim hands, covering his eyelids gently, slid smoothly along his cheeks, though if they had pressed against his throat, that would be okay too. He supposed he could think of such things calmly because it was absolutely impossible for such a gentle woman to do such things, and because he understood that perfectly. But he didn’t like being in that situation either.

もう、ばらばらの、めちゃくちゃだった。
He was in pieces already; a wreck.

首を絞めて楽にしてくれる恋人の手も期待できないから、自ら息を詰め、声を殺して黙るしかない。そうしてしばらくこうやって、一人の淵に沈んでいるしかないのだろう。
Since he could not hope for his lover to do the favor of strangling him, he held his own breath, having no choice but to silence himself. He wondered if by doing like that for a little while, he might sink alone into the abyss.
Parallels
Astral Realm

Post by Parallels »

今、自分は、自分の肉体を、命を、憎んでいる。漠然とした不安とか恐怖とかそういう曖昧な気分ではなく、はっきりと、滅ぼして存在を消してやりたい標的として憎んでいる。
Right now, he detested himself, his own flesh, his very life
It wasn't something fuzzy or vague feelings of anxiety or fear. Clearly, he was hating himself as target he wanted to destroy, to erase.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Parallels wrote:
Right now, he detested himself, his own flesh, his very life
It wasn't something fuzzy or vague feelings of anxiety or fear. Clearly, he was hating himself as target he wanted to destroy, to erase.
Thank you. That makes sense. Deadlock broken. 有り難う御座います! ¡Gracias!

Why aren't you a translator around here already?

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”