The many pronouns of Japanese

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

kuroi_shinigami
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

The many pronouns of Japanese

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

I would like to ask for some advice from the Japanese translator here. Like you all know Japanese have a lot of different pronoun for a pronoun in English, and they all have different nuance(and some pronouns are very derogatory that you only use it to your enemy or people you really look down to). That's why I would like to ask the translator here how would you translate the different "you" or "I" or "he/she" in Japanese into English. It will be a good reference for someone who doesn't use English as his/her mother language like me XD

Let's start with "you" first :

Japanese --------> English
貴方 --------> ??
君 --------> ??
お前 --------> ??
てめえ --------> ??
お宅 --------> ??
貴様 --------> ??
貴下 --------> ??
御社 --------> ??
貴社 --------> ??
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: The many pronouns of Japanese

Post by rpapo »

君 (-kun) --------> We are generally preserving this in our translations, as there is no real equivalent in English.
君 (kimi) --------> You - This implies that the one spoken to has a lower status or younger age.
お前 (o-mae) --------> You - This implies a certain level of familiarity or disrespect.

English doesn't really have much in the way of deferential or humble language, though in a larger context respect (or disrespect) can be shown clearly enough. It just can't be done in a single word.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

Picking up my copy of "Beyond Polite Japanese", I also find the following:

てめえ (temee) ---> I, me, your's truly, number one (can be used very crudely)

And from the WWWJDICT:

お宅 (otaku) --------> Fanboy, fangirl, fanatic (nowadays, used to refer to a residence)
貴様 (kisama) --------> You
貴下 (kika) --------> You (somebody younger)
御社 (onsha) --------> Your Company (speaking from outside politely)
貴社 (kisha) --------> Your Company (speaking from outside honorably)
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

kuroi_shinigami wrote:I would like to ask for some advice from the Japanese translator here. Like you all know Japanese have a lot of different pronoun for a pronoun in English, and they all have different nuance(and some pronouns are very derogatory that you only use it to your enemy or people you really look down to). That's why I would like to ask the translator here how would you translate the different "you" or "I" or "he/she" in Japanese into English. It will be a good reference for someone who doesn't use English as his/her mother language like me XD

Let's start with "you" first :

Japanese --------> English
貴方 --------> ??
君 --------> ??
お前 --------> ??
てめえ --------> ??
お宅 --------> ??
貴様 --------> ??
貴下 --------> ??
御社 --------> ??
貴社 --------> ??
貴方 --------> you
君 --------> you
お前 --------> you
てめえ --------> damn you
お宅 --------> you
貴様 --------> damn you
貴下 --------> you
御社 --------> your company / you
貴社 --------> your company / you

if the person is especially vulgar, I would use "asshole", "Mikuru", "Itsuki" for てめえ and 貴様, but so far haven't encounter the need.

I don't see a need to distinguish them in English unless for the particular story, the hierarchy reflected in the address is especially and critically important to the plot or character development. In that case, I'll have to decide on either not distinguishing them still and use a translator note to explain on first occurrence, OR translating to something else (or keeping the romanized form) and also add a translator note. the former case will be a better read. the later case will enable the reader to never forget the hierarchy reflected. so far, I haven't encounter this problem yet.

EDIT: but thinking again, I guess I will stick to the former case of not distinguishing, then using a translator note, and as well as try to use other vocab or sentence structure in their speech to reflect the hierarchy, respect, and humility or the individuals in an obvious manner. example, person is vulgar and less polite, I may use more slangs, as well as English contractions such as gonna, catcha, and stuff like that. but I guess again they may not be necessary, because their behaviour besides their speech pattern should show whether they are respectful or demeaning. So using the right words when translating-describing their actions in a way that the reader gets it, then it should be sufficient.
kuroi_shinigami
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by kuroi_shinigami »

It's just that when you read the character said ,"貴様....", it just doesn't feel right to translate it you "You......", because the character is implicitly cursing the other speaker.

Well, I just want to know how everyone translate these kind of pronouns in Japanese so I can use it as reference when I translate ^^
Fill in the blank : She ( ) a bus

Yoshii Akihisa's answer : She is a bus

Tsuchiya Kouta's answer : 彼女はブスです
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

that's why I use 'damn you' :D Or you could use 'asshole' I guess. :D
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

kuroi_shinigami wrote:It's just that when you read the character said ,"貴様....", it just doesn't feel right to translate it you "You......", because the character is implicitly cursing the other speaker.

Well, I just want to know how everyone translate these kind of pronouns in Japanese so I can use it as reference when I translate ^^
AFAIK kisama is a more polite hostile form of you than teme.....Teme would be like you b-tard/f-er etc

while kisama would be a more formal (lol) version of that. That's what I get anyway

Kimi would be an informal, friendly form of address. Or polite in certain situations.

――罨――
阿謨伽尾盧左曩 摩訶母捺囉摩抳 鉢納摩 人嚩攞 鉢囉韈哆野吽
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

True, kisama has more a "Samurai"-feel to it, whereas temee feels like what you would be called by a street gang.

Ah, and don't forget to add "汝" (nanji/sonata) and "jibun" (kansaiben) to the list, which mean "you" as well. :D
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:True, kisama has more a "Samurai"-feel to it, whereas temee feels like what you would be called by a street gang.

Ah, and don't forget to add "汝" (nanji/sonata) and "jibun" (kansaiben) to the list, which mean "you" as well. :D
Oh yeah....although nanji would be more like thou than you.

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!
天地玄妙神辺変通力離――
卍曼荼羅ァ――無量大数ゥ!
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

plus 御主 (onushi)
and おのれ (onore which Eusth is so fond of)
Cosmic Eagle
Project Translator

Post by Cosmic Eagle »

And 貴公 kikou

as well as アンタ the familiar, informal form of anata

Oh add 卿 kei as well. Like what a lord would formally address his retainers

――罨――
地・水・火・風・空に偏在する金剛界尊よ
今ぞ遍く光に滅相し奉る!