Discussion for potential tier-list for translations.

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Discussion for potential tier-list for translations.

Post by Doraneko »

kuroi_shinigami wrote:I'm still having difficulty understanding dialect. Most used dialect I encounter so far is Osaka-ben(actually Kansai-ben) and it's quite difficult for me to understand the meaning of kansai-ben if they don't use kanji. I also sometimes encounter another dialect that use べ in the dialogue ending a lot, I think it's from Hiroshima or somewhere north. I wonder where can we self-learn these kind of dialect?
Not sure for other dialects. But for Kansai-ben this site has been quite helpful to me. It has structured learning materials, recordings and other useful resources. :)
http://web.mit.edu/kansai/
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
Xplorer30
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

Hmm, can anyone rate SAO for me? I started matching that to raw from vol 3 chapter 3 on to vol 5 ch 4 atm. But since all my Japanese is self taught through many different sources, I can't really say what my level is.

I want to know how hard it is since I am translating another novel by the same author.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Xplorer30 wrote:Hmm, can anyone rate SAO for me? I started matching that to raw from vol 3 chapter 3 on to vol 5 ch 4 atm. But since all my Japanese is self taught through many different sources, I can't really say what my level is.

I want to know how hard it is since I am translating another novel by the same author.
Accel world? Well, the difficulty's about 4-5 for me.
Xplorer30
Temporal Time Variant Entity
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Xplorer30 »

Yea, it feels about the same as SAO right now. Lotsa descriptions with some hard words once in a while. Amount of convo varies. Fight scene descriptions too. The game related terms I usually know so they are mostly easy. The parts I am very bad with is depressing stuff. Like I wrote in other forum, reading depressing stuff I can go by quickly, editing it is worse but still doable, but translating depressing stuff gets into my bone, sigh. If you guys wondered why SAO vol 5 chapter 4 is taking so long, that's the main reason. Well, our editors are busy too I guess.

I like this author that's why I am giving it a try. I also read his web series Absolute Solitude a bit, it's not as depressing as I thought, but it's a bit strange. He wrote that in the POV of hero and villain. So you get to see and feel as the villain too, that's the strange part.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

My Current Revised Rating (Subjective & Relative)

Post by larethian »

Denyuuden: 1 (optional +1 for awkward sentences)
Itsuten: 1 (optional +1 for awkward sentences)
Baka Test: 2
Seitokai Series: 1 (optional +1/+2 for research time into references depending on one's otaku knowledge)
Oreshura: 3
Haganai: 4 (optional +1 for research time into references)
Oreimo: 4 (optional +1 for research time into references)
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Infinite Stratos: 2
Index: 6
Shana: 8
Gundam Unicorn: 4
Baka Test: 2. (Optional +1 when it comes to Yuuji's planning)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: My Current Revised Rating (Subjective & Relative)

Post by Mystes »

larethian wrote:Denyuuden: 1 (optional +1 for awkward sentences)
Seitokai Series: 1 (optional +1/+2 for research time into references depending on one's otaku knowledge)
Why do I find Haganai easier than Seizon? Style?

And I find Oreimo rather easy. Goes straight to the point. Can't say much for DYD or Itsuten though.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: My Current Revised Rating (Subjective & Relative)

Post by larethian »

Kira0802 wrote:
larethian wrote:Denyuuden: 1 (optional +1 for awkward sentences)
Why do I find Haganai easier than Seizon? Style?

And I find Oreimo rather easy. Goes straight to the point. Can't say much for DYD or Itsuten though.
you can't compare with Chinese fan translations. in the first place their skills may be different and we don't know how accurate they are.
I am comparing with respect to the Japanese writing which includes vocabulary, sentence structure and literary style.

Seitokai uses simpler words than Haganai and Oreimo. It also has simpler and shorter sentences. Heck, it's even simpler than Baka Test. Haganai uses few furigana, and Oreimo uses a lot of young-speak, slangs, and colloquialism, so it will pose some difficulty to those who learn Japanese through the academic route. However, Seitokai has way too many references from manga, anime, eroge, LNs, and other Otaku media. Unless you are a true Otaku, you'll definitely end up doing some research. All these already mitigated in the Chinese translations.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Also Seitokai uses a crap load of puns, so a 1 is really underestimating the difficulty. Id still keep my verdict that its about a 3.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Not so much of puns, but references instead. There are puns, but it's not really that much and heavy, you don't get it on every page and the thinking/research time shouldn't be significant and we're counting hundreds of pages. The only chapter where puns that are not really puns, and where the enunciation really matters is the chapter in volume 7 where:
Spoiler! :
No dialogue takes place due to Kaichou's rule, and everyone just mouths words. Hilarious chapter but I won't know how to translate that. :lol:
However, I did indicate an optional +1 to +2, making it range from 1 to 3, for researching references. The number of references is beyond astronomical, if I may exaggerate a little, and way more than Oreimo & Haganai put together. And it ranges from all genres of manga, anime, LNs, bishoujo games, brand names, TV stations, quotes, publishers, just every nook and cranny of otaku stuff (author is hardcore otaku). The worst are the quotes, which you can easily miss, since they are not accompanied by 〇, which appears for all trademark/copyrighted names, indicating for sure that it's a reference. Moreover, the quotes get twisted/customized sometimes to fit the situation, so unless you've read the original reference, you will never know. :lol:
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Well if we talk technical its really easy. If we talk actually making the plot readble to a non otaku- difficult.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Horizon: 4 (+1)*

*If you don't like coming up with names for terminology. This guy actually gets his foreign languages right.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Honestly, I would rate it as a 5. It's definitely harder than most series. Thank goodness he gets the names right or else we'll be having it like Index's difficulty.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I'm willing to put it as 5 due to the POV jumping, but there's nothing like Shana in there.

Although Shana is really more the flow than any actual difficulty.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

I look at some of the more ordinary pages; it's not as difficult as I initially thought. But the terminology and technical jargon might be a +2? I don't know, since I'm not reading it. It has a well balanced amount of narration and dialogue, relatively speaking, a 4 or 5 will suffice, with a +1/+2 to terms. Any lower, I will need to use negative scale for the rest. Terminology aside (which Mahouka is also pretty heavy), language-wise, I think Mahouka is a bit more challenging than Horizon since it's description heavy (even the sentences to indicate the speaker who spoke a line is description heavy), with about 3 parts of narration is to 2 parts of dialogue. I really need to work on a chapter of Shana and CSR sometime to feel the exact difference though.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”