Generic Translated Content, Feedback Appreciated

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Generic Translated Content, Feedback Appreciated

Post by larethian »

Well, because you don't read the story and don't know Miyuki well. Hikari's pretty much right about the context (she's a genius you see). Well actually, Mahouka does have some very strange metaphors that you will not normally find in other novels.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

<3

In any case, I've read enough of those silly Japanese stories to sort of know what they're talking about. (Never read Mahouka and never read anything except that excerpt.)
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

But Mahouka is not a silly story, though it has some weird metaphors. :lol:
Ryu
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ryu »

Ah, both of you were right, Lare and Hikari. After re-reading the original text again, I found out that Miyuki's grasp of Tatsuya's routine is not only about the 'gulping juice down in one gulp', but stretches way before that. That is, his wake up time, his usual request of drinking juice (hence she was already ready with the juice when he headed to the dining room), and his way of gulping down in one go. That's when I realize his routine is actually a much larger picture. Perhaps his routine included going for morning training every day? Haha, all these are my deductions, since I don't really read that novel, so please correct me if I am wrong.

D: Hikari's a genius?! それなら師匠のご評価をまことにありがとうございます!
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

One thing I noticed.
He only splashed his face, as he will be doing a proper wash later, and changed into his usual clothes.
'will' there should be 'would' It's been bugging me. The modal verb shifts the perspective of time.
Ryu
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ryu »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:One thing I noticed.
He only splashed his face, as he will be doing a proper wash later, and changed into his usual clothes.
'will' there should be 'would' It's been bugging me. The modal verb shifts the perspective of time.
Ah, my miss. Damn, I still need to tighten up on my tenses checking >_>

Thanks for the correction!
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Stuck on this bit, not quite sure what it means

"[...]あまつさえ、そなたを失面に立たせ最奥怯えているかの王に、そなたの美しさは、そなたの剣は、振るうに値するのか[...]"
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I'm fairly sure you mean 矢面.
Also, are you sure it isn't かのように?

Some context would also be nice.

"...Besides, am I worthy of wielding your beauty or your blade? It would be as if I were forcing you to bear the burden even as I cowered, trembling, afraid of you..."

Without knowing what's going on, I can tell you that I'm nearly 100% wrong though.
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

Yep, 矢面

Not かのように though.

Kinda hard to give context... well if you're willing to read a fair bit: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 1_Chapter3

Screenshot of the page http://prntscr.com/m2rqy

Thanks a lot!!

ps. congrats on 1337 posts xD
Dawny
Astral Realm

Post by Dawny »

"...Moreover, the king that has made you anathema, the object of all blame, who now lies trembling in the depths of his castle...is he worth your beauty or your sword? Oh my beautiful queen, I have but cursed fate to blame for bringing us together as enemies. All I wish is to see you lower your blade. Your people, the people you are to protect...the king! Where are they now!"

Thanks
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Dawny wrote:"...Moreover, the king that has made you anathema, the object of all blame, who now lies trembling in the depths of his castle...is he worth your beauty or your sword? Oh my beautiful queen, I have but cursed fate to blame for bringing us together as enemies. All I wish is to see you lower your blade. Your people, the people you are to protect...the king! Where are they now!"

Thanks
I would add an "and" just before "who" and after "blame,". Instead of "...the king!", maye "...as the king!" ? And I would italicize the "you" and "your" in the last sentence too.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
stellarroze
Senior Project Translator

Post by stellarroze »

幸運にも魔法の力を得て、充実した日々を送る少女たち。

I understand everything but this - 充実した日々 . I guess my problem is with how 充実した modifies 日々 and how to translate it to English. I really can't make any sense of it... :?

Thanks in advance for any help.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Fulfilling days.
Chompchomp
Astral Realm

Post by Chompchomp »

Book : 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (01)
Page : 5
Spoiler! :
Prologue
Saying trivial things like "Until when did I believe in Santa Claus?" is absurd even for small talk, but
[I had a really hard time with this part... "たわいもない世間話にもならないくらいのどうでもいいような話だが..." I'm still confused with it but I made my best guess]
even so if I ask "Until when did I believe in the imaginary red-clothed Santa-whatever guy," this, I can say with confidence that I did not have such beliefs from the start. I understood that the Santa that appeared at the Christmas event in kindergarten was a fake-Santa, and if I follow my memory I think the kindergarteners around me also, with the look that they didn't think that that Santa was real, gazed at that Santa as if it were the head kindergarten teacher cosplaying as Santa.

Due to various things, one reason not being witnessing my mother being kissed by Santa but the existence of an old guy who only works during Christmas which the intelligent me had been doubting, aliens, people from the future, ghosts, monsters, ESP, evil organizations, or anime-like SFX-like manga-like heroes who fight those I noticed don't exist in this world much later. No, perhaps the truth is that I had noticed. I just didn't want to notice.
Thanks for helping
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Chompchomp wrote:Book : 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱 (01)
Page : 5
Spoiler! :
Prologue
Saying trivial things like "Until when did I believe in Santa Claus?" is absurd even for small talk, but
[I had a really hard time with this part... "たわいもない世間話にもならないくらいのどうでもいいような話だが..." I'm still confused with it but I made my best guess]
even so if I ask "Until when did I believe in the imaginary red-clothed Santa-whatever guy," this, I can say with confidence that I did not have such beliefs from the start. I understood that the Santa that appeared at the Christmas event in kindergarten was a fake-Santa, and if I follow my memory I think the kindergarteners around me also, with the look that they didn't think that that Santa was real, gazed at that Santa as if it were the head kindergarten teacher cosplaying as Santa.

Due to various things, one reason not being witnessing my mother being kissed by Santa but the existence of an old guy who only works during Christmas which the intelligent me had been doubting, aliens, people from the future, ghosts, monsters, ESP, evil organizations, or anime-like SFX-like manga-like heroes who fight those I noticed don't exist in this world much later. No, perhaps the truth is that I had noticed. I just didn't want to notice.
Thanks for helping
Huh, no-one helped you. What meanyheads.
I'm guessing the problem that isn't translated is the part you have a problem with?

たわいもない世間話にもならないくらいのどうでもいいような話だが
Worthless stories like that aren't even worthy of being brought up as idle gossip.

On that note, I need help. Can someone help me translate:

天気がいいなぁ

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”