questions

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

rock96
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

questions

Post by rock96 »

Never thought that I'd create a topic in this forum...

Never mind. BOT.
テレビを見ても、ネットを見ても、あのパッチン留めの音が頭から離れない。 - This sentence was translated as 'Even if she was looking at TV or the internet, the clicking sound of the clincher never stopped.' by Spady.
Yet, it doesn't make sence. Can somebody clarify if the translation is right?
Kadi - hero we don't deserve.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: questions about HnA

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Whether I was surfing the net or watching TV, that clicking noise never left my head.

He's describing the irritation that he doesn't really understand as a sort of clicking noise in the back of his head.

The translation of the part before is also slightly off. I can't retranslate it due to circumstances.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
rock96
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: questions about HnA

Post by rock96 »

Oh, that finally makes sense) Thank you, Yoake.
Honorable mention for moderating and translating Campione, editing Gekkou and Hakomari.
O White Knight standing sadly amidst hordes of filthy plebs, return to us, please.
rock96
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: questions

Post by rock96 »

Here we go again but now some Index sentence is in the spotlight.

この仕事で一番『得点』の低かったヤツが罰ゲームで助けるって事にしとくか

The translation of Joay is as follows: With this job, us with the lowest of the [scores] will help in this punishment game

It's just that crude so I cannot get the meaning of the sentence. Help, please.
Enigma
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Enigma »

rock96 wrote:Here we go again but now some Index sentence is in the spotlight.

この仕事で一番『得点』の低かったヤツが罰ゲームで助けるって事にしとくか

The translation of Joay is as follows: With this job, us with the lowest of the [scores] will help in this punishment game

It's just that crude so I cannot get the meaning of the sentence. Help, please.
I'm not literate in Japanese by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd say it would go something like:
It just means the guy with the lowest score is going to help in the punishment game with this job, I guess.
It's worded fairly vaguely, like while he means Unabara, they don't specify they mean him, just someone in general. It also doesn't specify how they will help in the punishment game, but it's pretty likely it means 'is going to help (the rest of us)'.
rock96
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rock96 »

Up we go.

文芸部のロッカーの傘が、ちゃんと残っているといいんだけど。
先週雨が降ったとき、ロッカーを開けたら、入れておりたはずの傘が消えていた。

Official translation:
It would have been fine if my umbrella had still been in the book club's locker.
But when I opened the locker, I discovered that the umbrella I'd put in there when it rained last week was gone.

A bit of context:
Konoha goes to the clubroom, then remembers that he forgot the textbook and returns to the classroom before coming to the clubroom.

The problem:
Official translation is confusing as hell in this scene. I presume that there's an error with tenses so... TLC, please?
EusthEnoptEron
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by EusthEnoptEron »

No translation for now but: she hopes that her umbrella's still there because last week it was gone when she opened the locker (she had put one inside beforehand).
rock96
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by rock96 »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:No translation for now but: she hopes that her umbrella's still there because last week it was gone when she opened the locker (she had put one inside beforehand).
It's fine as long as the meaning's conveyed. :D Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”