Phrase translation help needed

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Phrase translation help needed

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Hi I'm stuck with a few passages on Hyouka volume 2 chapter 2, so perhaps some of you more fluent might be able to help out:

海藤さんの居場所に忍び寄る頭上では、誰かが部屋にいるんですから
Chitanda expressing her opinion about another character's deduction concerning the "murder" of Kaitou in a sealed room. From how I've translated it, I've said someone else might be inside the room besides Kaitou if any intruder was thinking of going in to kill Kaitou.

中城の懸命さは、結果はどうあれ俺たちに印象を残したものと見えて、もっぱらその辺りのことを取りとめもなく俺たちは話した。
This one does my head in, it was Houtarou talking about how they spent the rest of the day talking about their impression of Nakajou.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Phrase translation help needed

Post by larethian »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Hi I'm stuck with a few passages on Hyouka volume 2 chapter 2, so perhaps some of you more fluent might be able to help out:

Chitanda expressing her opinion about another character's deduction concerning the "murder" of Kaitou in a sealed room. From how I've translated it, I've said someone else might be inside the room besides Kaitou if any intruder was thinking of going in to kill Kaitou.

This one does my head in, it was Houtarou talking about how they spent the rest of the day talking about their impression of Nakajou.
Kinny, perhaps you can upload what you have first and leave a comment around the area. It's kind of hard to be confident without reading the surrounding passages.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

larethian wrote:
Kinny Riddle wrote:Hi I'm stuck with a few passages on Hyouka volume 2 chapter 2, so perhaps some of you more fluent might be able to help out:

Kinny, perhaps you can upload what you have first and leave a comment around the area. It's kind of hard to be confident without reading the surrounding passages.
I just did.

Hyouka Volume 2 Chapter 2.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... tle=Hyouka
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

For your first question, sorry to say, I'm also stumped and can't help you much. Though I feel that the second half, "誰かが部屋にいるんですから" seems to be an affirmative/stronger kind of statement and does not seem to suggest that Chitanda is expressing a possibility. It sounds to me that she's saying "because someone is in the room", rather than "because someone might be in the room".
But I'm not too sure whether this phrase is supplying a reason for the first phrase "海藤さんの居場所に忍び寄る頭上では", or a reason for the last phrase "それはおかしいです", which your proposed translation seems to be suggesting. The "それは" might be referring to the entire "海藤さんの居場所に忍び寄る頭上では、誰かが部屋にいるんですから", but I'm not really sure though. And unfortunately, I don't know exactly how the first phrase gels up with the second phrase and can't come up with anything better right now. I could be wrong though. Maybe you can check with your friends since you are in Japan right now. :D

For your second question, it's a little tricky but understanding how the commas break the phrases apart will help.
中城の懸命さは(結果はどうあれ俺たちに印象を残したものと見えて)もっぱらその辺りのことを取りとめもなく俺たちは話した
My understanding will be that, literally, "the concern about the outcome (結果はどうあれ), has become a mere impression to them (俺たちに印象を残したものと見えて)", meaning that the outcome has taken a backseat in their minds and they ended up talking nonstop about Nakajou's eagerness.
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Thanks. I'll try adopting your suggestion then.

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”