Simple novels to read for beginners

Discuss all translation related problems here or just help your fellow comrade to improve their lingual skills

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

loliDragon
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Simple novels to read for beginners

Post by loliDragon »

Hello every Japanese reader out there.

I have been studing really intesly Japanese for a while and praciticing my reading on simple stories for kids that I can find.
However... they are boring... god they are boring :|

I would greatly appreciate it, if you could give me a few light novels that are really simple and at least partially interesting... any thing would do as I am trying to increase my working vocabulary.

Thanks
carinderyeah

Re: Simple novels to read for beginners

Post by carinderyeah »

You mean real, hard, raw products, LN's?
P.S. Feel free to PM me anything you want, oh, be as random as possible
Irritated beyond endurance, I gripped the table's edge, and prepared to use the technique which had been passed down by my grandfather, namely «Table Flip».
loliDragon

Post by loliDragon »

I would stress the real, raw, NoT hard LNs, as in something that is not using to much term specific words. I can not imagine that every novel out there has selected hard core science or fantasy genre where they use 5 kanji names of powers or describe a some unnatural phenomena for a page. I would guess that any novel with too much jargon will be too hard for me.
What I am asking for is an LN in a true sense of the LIGHT reading.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

Give blade dance a shot. It's a self contained fantasy world. It is full of simple short sentences. It's pretty much the lightest LN out there.
Dohma
Project Translator

Post by Dohma »

LNs from the MF label are usually targeted for easy reading, and some - depending on the author - also have a lot of furigana which'll make it easier for you to read kanji. You might want to browse through them to see if anything catches your eye.
For example, although it is fantasy and has a few made-up terms, Chi wo Kakeru Niji is an easy read because there's a lot of dialogue in it.

Looking up at the Half-Moon (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora] is a nice read too, and you can probably find the txt files online; if you convert them to html, you can use a plugin like Rikaichan to read. That's how I read Zero no Tsukaima, Half-Moon and the Monogatari series, but the latter is stuffed with puns and wordplay, so that might not be a good novel to attempt unless you really like the series.
carinderyeah

Post by carinderyeah »

oh my mistake, i was refering to the hard copy.

guess what you meant was LN suggestions then. :oops:
P.S. Feel free to PM me anything you want, oh, be as random as possible
Irritated beyond endurance, I gripped the table's edge, and prepared to use the technique which had been passed down by my grandfather, namely «Table Flip».
loliDragon

Post by loliDragon »

Thanks for the suggestions ^^
Both 地を駆ける虹 and 半分の月がのぼる空 look interesting, I have managed to find raws for them and it seems to be possible to read them to a degree ...
Blade dance I read in English so, kind of dont want to read it in Japanese again ^^

ps Rikaikun does help a lot actually ^^ (I am using it with Chrome though)

Return to “Lingua Franca Lexicon”