ぷいぷい PuiPui

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this novel series translated?

Yes.
90%
No.
No votes
I don't know...
10%

Total votes: 59

Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: ぷいぷい PuiPui

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I dont know...The story doesn't really sound that that great and the illustrations authors work is far from being impressive either... They could have changed the maid costume in some better looking maid costume as the one they use is very very plain...

So far I am not impressed by the series. Not up to the standards of TD, Spice, ZnT or SnS.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Darknemo2000 wrote:I dont know...The story doesn't really sound that that great and the illustrations authors work is far from being impressive either... They could have changed the maid costume in some better looking maid costume as the one they use is very very plain...

So far I am not impressed by the series. Not up to the standards of TD, Spice, ZnT or SnS.
^^" Better looking maid costumes... Like what?

The illustrations are not bad. The story is not great, but its funny. It is comical. In some ways, I would actually consider it similar to Dokuro-chan. Dokuro-chan is made such that anyone can see it is a work "out-of-this-world", whereas most novels would have a pinch of reality in them. Similarly in the case of PuiPui. However, for PuiPui, the people are a little too ridiculous, thus causing the novel to be comical. A small pinch of reality and religion is mixed within, making it seem good at first. But some characters seem too retarded, losing that little pinch in some areas. Therefore it is not all that interesting.

It is definitely not up to the standards of TD, Spice, ZnT and many other novels. However, it is not right to compare them in this manner, since the novels are of different genders. I would just say it is a good read for passing time leisurely. In my opinion, it is something worth enjoying, but not indulging within. This is my current opinion of it after reading 2 volumes of novel+1 volume of manga =X
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

There are better designed maid costumes... Used in either anime or manga, the one in PuiPui is very very plain.

Well through Krikit said that Puipui's a realative unpopularity in japan is best explained that it is still new and had other novels grabbing most of the fans, but I don't see it as a good example. All novels have popular novels before them as they start. But the if the novel is good enough it will build a strong circle of fanbase.

It still had enough volumes and by the time Spice , Toradora or ZnT were already popular despite taht they also had to to fight their way out though popular or not novels with their own tight circles...

The fact that PuiPui illustrator isn't the top class (not Ito thats for sure) the look at the pictures doesn't help its popularity and the story is, well... simply ridiculous at places. It sometimes works with comedy but sometimes is just stupid. Characters are not particularly captivating. Lets say ZnT characters were at first only a bunch of stereotypes thrown in together but they still were catchy enough to let you watch them grow up with the story.

PuiPui is not the worst novels I have read but it is not something impressive either. kind of average stuff that will get buried in the flow of newer average novels eventually and forgotten...
ShadowZeroHeart

The illustrations are fine ^^" Trust me on that.

Unlike S&W, ZnT and many other novels, this one is more of comical. Therefore the characters should mostly, if not all, be cartoony. And the best proof that the illustrations are fine, the one for the illustrations of the novel and for the manga are the same, and we know by now its popularity for the first few chapters =X
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Well, let me say a few things.

A) The storyline in no way compares with TD!, Spice and Wolf, ZnT, etc. Those novels are amazing, and I am pretty much in love with them :).

B) After trying to translate Spice and Wolf, and TD! however, I realized that I needed to start on a slightly smaller scale.

C) I found PuiPui while browsing a used bookstore, and nothing else really jumped out at me, and I realized while browsing through it the kanji weren't as difficult or anything as S&W and TD!. Sentences were smaller, there was alot more dialogue, and few long paragraphs. TD! and Spice and Wolf have longer paragraphs, long drawn out descriptions, and it gets really complicated for me.

D) I decided to buy PuiPui! and give it a shot at translation. So I did. It's not the best of stories, but it still manages to captivate my interest, at least so far. It's not supposed to be the "New Haruhi," it's just something I found that has easier grammar and writing style, that I can use to practice my Japanese skills. There's also the bonus of it being a mildly entertaining storyline.

E) Fast forward to the completion of Chapter 1. So far it starts off how you would think. I don't know what happens next yet, so I really can't say. But I know that so far, the story has maintained my interest. Again, it's no where near the level of TD, Spice and Wolf, and ZnT, but it still holds a section in me that won't let it go. I want to see Jin and Sierra going through things together, with some comedy, with some romance, with some fighting, with some anger, with some tenderness, all of it.

F) However, the novel is not that popular, and for a reason. It was released at the same time pretty much as Toradora! and Spice. These series are now on their 9th volumes. With the addicting storyline of Toradora! and Spice, when you look at PuiPui!, it simply is not on the same level. It's not as well written. The characters are not as well developed (I'm getting this from reviews like shadow, but I've only read chapter 1 so far), It doesn't have the same draw.

G) However, one book actually made it into some popularity, and I see positive reviews all over for it. Whatever happens in PuiPui! Volume 6 must be quite good, to have made it onto a months bestseller top 10, and to have such good reviews. But the series overall, has a tiny fanbase. It's not popular, and with good reason. It simply isn't a great quality work. But I do think, it is a good quality work. I think it is interesting and funny, portrays two main characters together, and the lives they each have, as they (not sure, haven't read too far :)) get closer together through thick and thin.

We'll just have to wait and see where the novel takes us. Personally though, I do like the images :). I'll admit they might not have the depth and meaning a ZnT picture has with Louise and Saito in the middle of an embrace, but still, I like the artwork :)...

Anyway, let me just end by reiterating that this novel in no way competes with TD!, S W, or ZnT. It's just not that great. That's one reason I chose it, because of the "dulled down" grammar, kanji, and writing style. But again, it has it's own unique-ness, that so far I've grown kind of fond of. (again, just read one chapter though :)).

Anyway, I hope whoever likes it, will continue to read if they can find extra time in between updates for TD, SW, and Znt, but if you don't like it...you can save yourself a click or two.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

I think the artwork isn't that good. Characters often miss noses (males do not, but females, especially main heroine do), yes I know in anime/manga it is usual to make noses as small as possible but in PuiPui they are absent for most of the cases. The way the hairstyle is drawn is very typical and gives no stronger impression in composition with character profile. Design is bad, the eyes are slightly too big (compared with general face size, even if you take into account that big eyes, long legs are typical features of the anime style, yet the size of eyes also creates a certain atmosphere around characters in PuiPui they look like they just passed age of nine, the slightly too big eyes make them look too young).

For me the artwork is mediocre at best. Or at least when you take inconsideration such authors like Ito, Usatsuka or Ayukura... It;s just not up to that level, even if we consider the genre (comedy) specifics the artwork is not that good.
ShadowZeroHeart

Are the drawings that bad? ^^"
Personally I find them just right. I mean, look at the manga, if the pictures are less cartoony, i get the feeling it wont be as funny/cute.

And as for Krikit's comment on character development, well, some are well-developed, some are not. Its a little unbalanced and uneven. But it just makes some more ridiculous nonsense over them all. I get the feeling the novel could be improved upon, but it is so-so as it is now.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Maaan....12 yeses, and 6 noes....6 noes....sigh, that's kind of depressing :)

EDIT: Nevermind, they are only "I don't know" votes, haha, that makes me feel a bit better :). Well, can you honestly say the story holds no interest after the first chapter for you? Maybe it's not great, but is it something you would reject based on what you see now?

But I'll stick with being happy about knowing this project is only 50 more pageviews from topping:

Spam blacklist ‎(2,496 views)

:)

2/53 translated today. I'll try to do 2 pages/day, more on weekends if I can spare the time. After 6 pages, look for an update, as there is a page break :)
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

I would place more value on the plot and character development rather than the artwork. A good story can overcome bad illustrations, but bad illustrations can't overcome a bad story. That said, I probably won't pass judgment until I at least read one volume so I can get a good feel for the story.
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

But when the story is just so-so, illustrations can help to smoother it a little.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Yeah, Dark's got a point. I guess it will just come down to personal preference, and once a volume is out or something, we'll see how the novel stands then.
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

Krikit wrote:Yeah, Dark's got a point. I guess it will just come down to personal preference, and once a volume is out or something, we'll see how the novel stands then.
Well, some of what you said is nonsense, I think, though I don't mean that in an offensive way, or at least I don't mean to ;). I'm not trying to offend, I just have a blunt way of speaking sometimes. Let me rephrase that- I disagree with a few of your points, though I find myself in agreement with your conclusion.

If it's not that popular it is just because it's not that popular- for some reason people don't like it that much. All that matters is that you like it- complicated explanations involving time-lines and charts shouldn't be necessary here. I mean, many unpopular things are good (for me, "The Wire" is a sterling example), and many popular things are trash. Of course puipui is not Dostoevsky, but S+W isn't either. Anyway, you ought to do what you think will make your Japanese better as quickly as possible. Unlike me, you actually have some skin in the game in that you've moved to Japan to study Japanese. Even if Puipui is a terrible set of novels, if translating them improves your Japanese faster than anything else would, that's what you ought to do.

That said, I think you might find that if you can translate puipui you can probably translate other light novels, with a bit more effort. We're not talking about Mishima here. Maybe you would need some help, but... probably you would get help when you needed it. So, if you think puipui is amusing, by all means... but if you stop finding it funny I think it would be a shame if you decided that you had to keep going with it because you've decided other series are too hard. We can leave the popular series to the pro-stylers and slowly work out the less popular ones, ne?

It's possible that I'm projecting a bit here, because I was recently told that translating S+W was a waste of my time because "any book that starts with a wolf girl is bound to be cliched nonsense" and "it's so low class- wouldn't you rather read a better book? Don't become a hikikomori on me!" ;). But I'd say, do it till you want to stop doing it. Then you can do something else.
ShadowZeroHeart

Akirasav wrote:I would place more value on the plot and character development rather than the artwork. A good story can overcome bad illustrations, but bad illustrations can't overcome a bad story. That said, I probably won't pass judgment until I at least read one volume so I can get a good feel for the story.
I just realized, but you meant good illustrations cannot overcome a bad story?
duncan wrote:Well, some of what you said is nonsense, I think, though I don't mean that in an offensive way, or at least I don't mean to ;). I'm not trying to offend, I just have a blunt way of speaking sometimes. Let me rephrase that- I disagree with a few of your points, though I find myself in agreement with your conclusion.

If it's not that popular it is just because it's not that popular- for some reason people don't like it that much. All that matters is that you like it- complicated explanations involving time-lines and charts shouldn't be necessary here. I mean, many unpopular things are good (for me, "The Wire" is a sterling example), and many popular things are trash. Of course puipui is not Dostoevsky, but S+W isn't either. Anyway, you ought to do what you think will make your Japanese better as quickly as possible. Unlike me, you actually have some skin in the game in that you've moved to Japan to study Japanese. Even if Puipui is a terrible set of novels, if translating them improves your Japanese faster than anything else would, that's what you ought to do.

That said, I think you might find that if you can translate puipui you can probably translate other light novels, with a bit more effort. We're not talking about Mishima here. Maybe you would need some help, but... probably you would get help when you needed it. So, if you think puipui is amusing, by all means... but if you stop finding it funny I think it would be a shame if you decided that you had to keep going with it because you've decided other series are too hard. We can leave the popular series to the pro-stylers and slowly work out the less popular ones, ne?

It's possible that I'm projecting a bit here, because I was recently told that translating S+W was a waste of my time because "any book that starts with a wolf girl is bound to be cliched nonsense" and "it's so low class- wouldn't you rather read a better book? Don't become a hikikomori on me!" ;). But I'd say, do it till you want to stop doing it. Then you can do something else.
I agree to some extent. About how popularity speaks of nothing. For example, due to the over popularity of Final Fantasy 7, a lot of other good games lie unknown to most. Not because the games arent good. Just that attention is not given to them.

And please, do not say "Even if Puipui is a terrible set of novels, if translating them improves your Japanese faster than anything else would, that's what you ought to do." Anyone is given a choice of how to deal with the situation. Just that Krikit made his choice of Puipui. Even if it won't improve his japanese, he can still do it. It just depends on what the translator thinks and feels. (Though personally I would rather support him on Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu LOLz!)

The last part about S&W, just tell them, if you like it, you like it. If you don't you don't. No one can interfer with what one thinks or feels about a certain topic.

Basically, just do as you wish to ^^
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
duncan
Astral Realm

Post by duncan »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote: And please, do not say "Even if Puipui is a terrible set of novels, if translating them improves your Japanese faster than anything else would, that's what you ought to do."
Hmm.. I tend to think this is a difference without a distinction. But I would agree with you- this is what I was trying to say. Who cares what other people think? Right now you are just trying to learn to read Japanese- you can engage your critical faculties later. I'll add that my response to the reaction to S+W that I described was a very polite [Japanese] version of "Go **** yourself." Of course it was Japanese so it came out more like "I certainly appreciate your opinion, and I thank you for it, but I am the sort of stubborn fellow who must ignore your good advice. Now go **** yourself."
Darknemo2000
Senior Project Editor

Post by Darknemo2000 »

Popularity is mean to bring objective (or at least looking as objective) factor in the subjectivity of ones preferences.

Basically you cannot tell what is good and what is bad. I think it is good, he thinks it is bad, neither is right nor wrong as this is our ultimate subjective decision upon what is good and what is bad. The only way to create objectivity is these popularity rankings (because many people have subjective opinions something that is able to catch a lot of them must have something in it) or the opinion of the critics who specialize in that matter and you are positive of them being objective. But critics are less reliable than the masses upon deciding the possibility of the peace to turn into classics.

Popularity is good measure of the survival and becoming classics. Not all popular things become classic, but none unpopular things become classics (mind you that popular does not only mean pleasing, it can be also mass displeasing). All of what we consider classics now were a big hits of their time (not necessarily positively, but negatively too as it caused contradiction) Goethe was considered to be a mass-pleaser (mass that could read of course), Mozart was considered to be just a temporary no one creating just a short lasting music that had no value for future generations.

So i would not look down on popularity that much, it is actually a pretty good indicator of what becomes classic and what dies out. It's this objectivity facotor that matters, subjectivity factor is easily forgotten. So I wouldn't underestimate the mass popularity.

It doesn't mean that popular things are subjectively good, but they are objectively.

Return to “PuiPui”