ぷいぷい PuiPui

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you want to see this novel series translated?

Yes.
90%
No.
No votes
I don't know...
10%

Total votes: 59

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: ぷいぷい PuiPui

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

No problem, we are not professionals after all. We are all still learning and stuff, and we are not alone. ^^
That is one reason we need proof-readers, to help ensure the translations are good.

Anyways, when i find time i might take a look at the later parts =X

Keep up the good work!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit, when i do the manga translations, i always have a certain thought in mind...
"HOW I WISH YOU WERE AHEAD OF ME!!"

Here are some info you might find useful...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon
Talks about Solomon, his treasure, hyperlinked to his dad King David, contains information on thousand and one nights here...
One Thousand and One Nights
A well-known story in the One Thousand and One Nights describes a genie who had displeased King Solomon and was punished by being locked in a bottle and thrown into the sea. Since the bottle was sealed with Solomon's seal, the genie was helpless to free himself, until freed many centuries later by a fisherman who discovered the bottle.

This story is not derived from the Qu'ran.
The holy cabinet or thing that Jin is searching for is called an Ark it seems...
http://mcdonaldroad.org/sermons/98/0509.htm
To understand this amazing story of robbery and recovery we need to start at the beginning. The ark is a special chest constructed in Moses day - about 1441 BC. It is made of wood overlaid with gold. A rectangular box 52" long and 31" wide and 31" tall. The lid is solid gold which supports two golden Cherubims on top.

This holy cabinet contains the 10 commandments and two symbols of God's miraculous power, a jar of manna and Aaron's rod that budded. On the outside in a side pocket is a complete copy of the laws of Moses.
Use whichever phrase as you deem fit... Sighz, if i get more information that may be useful, i will post them here.

magic lamp came from babylonia to japan through the silk road, according to manga(lazy to check novel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylonia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_road

Edit:
P.S. Krikit, what is the term they use to refer to the one in charge of the dorm? Dorm supervisor(In your text)? Dorm Head(My manga text)? Or warden/Dorm Warden(New suggested term)?

And do we need to get you a copy of our translated texts? so you can update on your pui pui manga section?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Anyway, I do know a bit about this having read through 1,2 Samuel and 1,2 Kings. We have King Solomon, who amassed a great fortune. Pretty much richest nation of the world at the time. Anyway, I haven't seen specifically what Jin is searching for, all I know is that it's "King Solomon's Treasure," not that it was specifically the "Ark of the Covenant" or something. It could be anything, from a hidden treasure vault, to perhaps the ark, etc.

the McDonald link used some dramatic liscence in telling the story of the Ark of the Covenant, but the main outlines were correct. (but the things like "if God says yes, the right cherub will light up" have no basis in fact...haha, glowing statues :).) (but just to be sure, I'm going to be re-reading 1,2 kings, all the verses I can find about the ark. right now I just haven't read this.)

But yeah....I think the best way to learn about Solomon for the sake of this novel, is by reading 1,2 Kings, and perhaps delving into the stories of the Genie. It's quite possible there was and/or is such thing as a genie today, as a fallen angel.....Genesis talks about the "sons of God" and "sons of man," talking about a race known as the Nephilim, and sons of God marrying daughters of man, and having offspring. Those offspring were the "heroes of old, men of renown." It's possible a "genie" could be one of the "sons of God," or a Nephilim, or something else. (sons of God is different from "Son of God." the sons of God were created beings, angels if you will. From what we see, they also appear to be shapeshifters. Lucifer (aka Satan) was created along with the other heavenly beings, sometime after the heavens were created, and the earth was being formed. Lucifer was sent to guard Eden, and had the appearance of a serpent at that time. Other instances tell about angels "appearing as a man" and there is an instance in Exodos with an Angel guiding the Israelites as a cloud.

Anyway...we have Jin seeking a part of this whole astounding thing. Solomon's treasure.

(Also, wikipedia makes mention of how matthew and Lukes account are different, one mentioning Solomon, and the other one not. Matthew was written for the Jews, and has Joseph's lineage, with a direct line of decent to Jesus, having the "right" to rule by being the first "son" (not blood, but Joseph still transferred the right as his "first" son.) from Joseph, directly decended from Solomon, ruler of Israel after David, descended from Abraham, descended from Noah, descended from Adam, the first man created by God. Luke, has a different geneology, and it acually tells of another son of David, Nathan, whom Jesus also comes through. This line leads to Mary. Joseph was her husband, making him the "son-in-law" of her father. Anyway, Mary carried the direct bloodline from David, while Joseph (as a male) carried the ruling bloodline. Jesus was born to the two of them, having the bloodline through Mary, and the legal right to rule over Israel through Joseph.

Anyway...gosh I know I'm sort of off topic, but I really like this :)

Anyway, Jin is searching for Solomon's treasure....this treasure has so much mystery, power, magesty, etc, surrounding it. I for one really want to see how the author goes about their search in a love-comedy type of story with a genie girl and her master :)
ShadowZeroHeart

LOLz, sorry, I am a non-believer =X
But yes i had similar (incomplete) information from a friend who tried to covert me last time (the covertion ended with HIM having to convince himself to not waive his faith... Being over-knowledgable may be harmful i guess ^^)

Reading that long text, so Lucifer/Satan only came about to become a fallen angel after human is created? Since Lucifer was sent to guard Eden, taking the form of a snake. I presume that is the snake that tempted Eve to taste the forbidden fruit (an apple right? or at least thats how it is pictured usually... S&W?)

And
God=> Adam, first man=> Noah(from the story of Noah's Ark?) =>Abraham=> David => Solomon=> Joseph +Mary =>Jesus

And to whether there is/was such a thing as a genie, or fallen angel, it doesnt really matter? =X Unless of course, one of us experiences what Jin does, or else it is too remote for us to ponder such an issue.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol, Spice and Wolf, that's right...I wonder if the guy really was talking about satan there....then again, it's completely off context, but the general idea seems to hold together :)

lol

and yeah, from your sig I was able to deduce the gist of it. I've got things to work on. For one, I'm really not that "evangelical." I understand our "calling," but right now I feel more like learning more and more about God, and his Son, Jesus. :D

As for Lucifer/Satan, this is something that really, really interests me. Again, I'm still learning. But Isaiah 14 and Ezekial 28 are verses I'm looking at. There is no specific reference to when Satan himself was created, but there are references to "heavenly beings" and when they were made. But yeah, Satan, Lucifer (actually, that's latin for "morning star") was the closest, most exalted being next to God himself. He was a guardian cherub, perfect. Though he desired to sit above God. I am still trying to find out when he sinned first, if he was still perfect in the garden, or if he had already been thrown down, etc. ah well. research research :).

So, can I ask at least what you mean by "Being over-knowledgable may be harmful i guess ^^)"? I kind of want to make sure I know what happened with him :)

Anyway, as for Solomon....haha, such an interesting guy...I've wanted to go digging around as an archaeologist as well and uncover ruins and artifacts and stuff too...but sigh, I chose Space instead, the completely Opposite direction :).

Hmmm,

God=> Adam, first man=> Noah(from the story of Noah's Ark?) =>Abraham=> David=>

Solomon=> Joseph (legal father) => Jesus

+

Nathan=> Mary (blood of David, bloodline mother) =>Jesus

Yeah, fallen angel or genie or what have you, however they exist today, whatever they're doing, or if there were somehow sealed by a secret society (yay too much anime :)), not too important here. Food for thought :)

Anyway, again, I am just really interested in this story. Mainly because I like these stories :)....ex:) Love Hina, 5 star. Ah! My Goddess, 5 star. Tsubasa Chronicle 5 star. Then some more recent stuff: Spice and Wolf, Toradora, ZnT, KnS, the stories need good male/female leads, addicting plot, and a touch of romance mixed in with adventures/lives/action, etc etc. Sigh....I'm definitely going to find a way to get back to AMG with the manga, I'm waaay behind, and it was the second anime I saw, and my first jump off the cliff into anime-kingdom :). (The first was Princess Mononoke, not a series, but an awesome SG movie. :))
ShadowZeroHeart

My sig is from an Anime with a SUPERB ED!
The ending was a little sad, and this was what she said before she saved the world but died...

My friend filled me with a lot of information and details, mainly regarding christian religion and the bible. With his explicit knowledge, he even told me about the similarities of the christian bible and some other religions. But christians have the rule of there is one and only God. So when i pointed out the many possibilities and probabilities that the events he mentioned could lead to other possibilities, he seemed a little... shakened.

P.S. he was what my teacher called a "walking encyclopedia" if that helps to prove how much data he has in his head.

Personally Tsubasa chronicles is worth only 2/3stars in my opinion =X the story sux, the characters are the main attraction i guess... Though the later parts finally seem slightly better... xxxHolic is 7stars if Tsubasa is worth 5
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol, a walking encyclopedia...I'm nothing so grand :). If I was, I wouldn't have so much trouble in Chemestry, Calc, etc.

I believe there is a (one) God. This world has too much that points to it. It's not a rule that says "there is only one god." It's a fact that there are in fact "god's." The Bible solidifies this. From Idols created by man, to the fallen angels, gods exist. Now to what extent they have power, and to what extent there was human intervention, is different. But we believe there is One God. This God created all things in this "box" of "space-time" (hmm, wierd way of putting it, but yeah.) we live in. From the Heaven's, to the Earth, to the celestial beings, the angels, the visible, and the invisible. Some of the creations turned against God. (Ezekiel and Isaiah talk of how the "Morning Star" grew tired of what he had, desiring more and more.) This led to Satan and his followers seperating from God and his followers. Satan and his followers can be considered "gods." It is very possible they hold abilities or powers mankind does not. We do not stress there is only one "god." But there is only one God. Also, could you tell me a part or something that he had trouble grasping? It isn't like the Atheist argument about God and making a rock heavier than he can lift it right? (Simple logic can solve this).

Anyway, for the main point of what I wanted to write about, I finally got to the part in PuiPui where the father talks about the Chant. the text is explicitly:

ちちんぷいぷい. This is HILARIOUS, and I never realized until now :) More information on the PuiPui manga section, because that's where this discussion was originally held :)

(Also, I have no idea where I'd be without your manga translations, they're like lifesavers I refer to when I get stuck, thanks sooooo much for picking this up with me ^_^)
ShadowZeroHeart

Well, yes, according to the religion.

This naturally means you cannot believe in God(s) of other religions.
But from his info, and my mind, i somehow provided in links that may even be saying your god = their god.
Then it becomes confusing =X

Anyways, the main topic isnt about stuff like this... haha!

Why is ちちんぷいぷい hilarious i wonder?
*goes to check*

Yeah, i can see that they are lifesavers... Afterall, i tried to refer to your novels when i was doing my manga >"< but i grasped nothing that can really save me LOLz!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I know it's still a bit off topic, but let's use the Jewish faith as an example. The Jews believe in God, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, of Jacob. The God of the Old Testament. So do present day Christians. It's the same God, but a different religion. Where's the difference? Jesus. The Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah. They have part I, but not part II. It's similar with the Muslim faith. Again, they have God right. They don't have Jesus right. But if you want 100% knowledge, and no reason to have faith, well...right now all I can say is we'll find out after we're dead won't we. :).

But as for PuiPui, I kind of may have exxagerated :).

It's not "hilarious," but it is Amusing, that the Author used the name of a TV Program as a magical chant in a light novel about Genies....lol....it still makes me smile :mrgreen: I mean it's like saying the magic words in "Arabian Nights" was "Rasengan!" O_o

EDIT: I"m sorry my novels weren't of any help...../sigh.....:( I'll work harder from now on!!!! I will definitely be able to translate a light novel by this time next year, with few to little problems!! Even if I have to memorize that "Green Goddess" Dictionary! :) Then I want to be able to help you as much as you've helped me learn :)
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

I'm liking the story more and more as it goes on. I wonder if it will ever get an anime :D
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Lol, apparently on the Japanese forums I go to there are people kind of clammoring for an anime sometime next year. But nothing official, or even unofficial yet :)

For an example on popularity though:

the PuiPui community has ~70 people in the group.

The Spice and Wolf C. has ~ 5,000 people in the group.

The Toradora! C. has ~ 2,000 people in the group.

Judging from these numbers and popularity, I'm going to say P-P! needs alot more of a fan base first :)
ShadowZeroHeart

The fanbase is that small?

Well, though personally i do not think it as a "wonderful" novel, it is not that bad, full of comical points further.
A good read that definitely deserves a much bigger fan base.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

yeah..sigh. Or maybe it's fanbase just isn'ts "based" in Mixi :).

Anyway, as for PuiPui!, I'm really happy with it so far :). 35/49 pages for chapter 1, until it gets uploaded to the sidebar, and I get a purple name...I can't wait....By this weekend, I want to be at page 40. Then by next weekend, I want to have chapter 1 completed. I'll try to beat this deadline, but I'm pretty sure, look out for 10 days from now. PuiPui will be D-O-N-E! (At least chapter 1. Then Jigglypuff can read it :))

Also, about the ranking...PuiPui! Just passed Read or Die! It's also now beating HARUHI!!! (At least the spanish epilogue for volume 1 :)) Next up? Why, the Indonesian Chapter 2, Volume 1 of Haruhi of course! :) The next major goal though happens to be Spice and Wolf Vol. 7, chapter 3, translated by Wyvern at A-S.

Current Rank:

695 / 1428

Wow we're really clawing our way up there :)
ShadowZeroHeart

Hey!! that reminds me!! Its been one month!! time for monthly reviews?

Should PuiPui going to be on that list too I wonder? @@

I hope KnS and SnS are staying at their rankings >"<
Had been too busy to really work on them...

Btw, Krikit, any chance of working on that wiki manga translation you guys suggested?
Since PuiPui is our first manga, might as well use it to test the waters
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Sigh..no PuiPui!....guess it's because technically it's not a "project" yet. Though we all know it would be in last place, with like....MAYBE 40 page views per day..:)

Anyway, I'm just here to say another 10 pages of text, until Chapter 1 is finished.

Or in other words....

30 minutes per page = 1 hour / 2 pages = 5 hours til completion. If I work straight through from this point on....I could be done tonight...never mind what I said about Next Weekend....:)

Then...PuiPui! could be moved onto the Sidebar....TODAY!!! (actually, Japan time it would still end up being tomorrow :).

Hmmm.....10 pages huh.....well, I'm off to do page 1/10 now, and then I'll go get some dinner, then back to the old grind :)

Return to “PuiPui”