Pui Pui Manga Translation

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Re: Pui Pui Manga Translation

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

Ah. Well, I just read the translation and also done some cross check with the Japanese raws.
p115
"Let’s run for it---", how about "Let's escape---" ?
"Israel eventually split into two, the North and South districts Israel and was annihilated by foreign countries" How about changing it to "Israel eventually split into two, the North and the South, and was annihilated by foreign countries"
P116
"And after the years they were referred to by others as Solomon’s treasure" how about "And after the years they were referred as Solomon’s treasure"
"these treasures" --> these or those? it should be those, right?
In order to not let the letter be lost, they will imprint a marking on their rings onto the wax. --> I find this sentence rather illogical so I checked the raws.
I think it should be something like "In order to not let the seal/stamp be lost, they often made the seal/stamp marking on their ring"
p117
The logic in the two sentences below is also flawed.
“I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, I didn’t expect that it was the lamp that would be in Japan.”
“I guess my assumption is seriously flawed.”
It's more like : “I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, that the magic lamp is in Japan means"
"my assumption is not necessarily wrong."
p125
“So we would like to join curriculum activities~” --> to join a club
And so would like to practice Kendo.” --> so we would
"return" --> "Leave"
p126
spell --> good luck charm.
I would be sorry --> I'd feel bad
p133
sis kebab --> Shish kebab (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebab)
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

jupiter_ringsid wrote:Ah. Well, I just read the translation and also done some cross check with the Japanese raws.
p115
"Let’s run for it---", how about "Let's escape---" ?
"Israel eventually split into two, the North and South districts Israel and was annihilated by foreign countries" How about changing it to "Israel eventually split into two, the North and the South, and was annihilated by foreign countries"
P116
"And after the years they were referred to by others as Solomon’s treasure" how about "And after the years they were referred as Solomon’s treasure"
"these treasures" --> these or those? it should be those, right?
In order to not let the letter be lost, they will imprint a marking on their rings onto the wax. --> I find this sentence rather illogical so I checked the raws.
I think it should be something like "In order to not let the seal/stamp be lost, they often made the seal/stamp marking on their ring"
p117
The logic in the two sentences below is also flawed.
“I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, I didn’t expect that it was the lamp that would be in Japan.”
“I guess my assumption is seriously flawed.”
It's more like : “I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, that the magic lamp is in Japan means"
p125
“So we would like to join curriculum activities~” --> to join a club
And so would like to practice Kendo.” --> so we would
"return" --> "Leave"
p126
p133
I need to do some history check before I can give a better way to phrase the lets run for it/lets escape. From what i saw in Prince of Egypt, they were being chased after. So escape may not be that good a word? And also, it does not strike me to be of great importance.

Similarly, I was unsure what they are called... So I checked Wiki and found these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_District_(Israel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_District_(Israel)
Unsure whether it is okay to just use north and south, i decided to use the district word as well. Sorry about that.

pg 116, the meaning is still there, both sides works i guess?

these or those, i have no idea? >"< Sorry!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealing_wax
Nothing is mentioned about how it came about. But basically the seal is to ensure no one else reads it. I believe what they mean is that it can also be used as a form of identication as well maybe? So to not lose the letter. Not to lose the sealing wax? It seems harder to only lose the sealing wax than to lose the entire letter. Unless of course, they mean someone can open the letter and put in some new wax without people noticing if the sealing wax has no imprints.
*Note: in the novel, it is indeed talking about the imprint being lost, so it would be the waxing seal being lost.*

From the chinese text, at this point of time, he is thinking that something arrived in Japan. He expected this "something" to be the holy ark, but it was the magical lamp. So his assumption/deductions is flawed, since the object that arrived is not to his understanding, the ark. Basically this means he believes it is likely that the ark is not in japan?
*Note: in the novel, such parts are not touched upon in this manner, at least not for the chinese novel. The novels says that he suggested his reasonings to his parents, who ignored them. *

Club should be fine. But i was unsure whether it is club or society? How to differentiate?
The following line should be fine i guess? Ask Vaelis!

The chinese word used is 回去吧, with the meaning of go back. So return... or leave... Well, I dunno. LOLz!

p126

Spell or curse/witchcraft or such. Reading on would realize its not a charm, but its a love potion belonging to witchcraft.
feel bad, yes that is a better phrase. Thanks for pointing that out.

p133
Spoiler! :
069.jpg
Open up to view the chinese raw. You will see that they made a mistake in that part themselves... So I used their mistake... Is it possible to check the japanese text to see what they wrote here? If the raws have mistakes... should we follow them...?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Similarly, I was unsure what they are called... So I checked Wiki and found these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_District_(Israel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_District_(Israel)
Unsure whether it is okay to just use north and south, i decided to use the district word as well. Sorry about that.
Northern and Southern Districts are fine if you don't add Israel.
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:p133
Spoiler! :
069.jpg
Open up to view the chinese raw. You will see that they made a mistake in that part themselves... So I used their mistake... Is it possible to check the japanese text to see what they wrote here? If the raws have mistakes... should we follow them...?
In the Japanese raws, it's written in katakana.
And I had indeed replace sis kebab by Shish Kebab and Nahn by Naan (but not on the wiki yet).

It's the same in Chapter 4 with the Chinese note about "Alf Layla". It doesn't mean "One Thousand And One Nights" but "One Thousand Nights". It's "Alf Layla wa Layla" that means "One Thousand And One Nights"

The Japanese->Chinese translator seems to have done some research but they weren't really accurate.
ShadowZeroHeart

Well, i guess you need quite a bit of background knowledge for these stuff... And it isnt easy really. Cant blame them... Anyways, anything else to edit/change? I would like to know what else there is LOLz!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

Using the japanese raws to confirm
P115
"Let's run for it" --> にげろ (since nigeru : to escape or to run away, nigero should be something like let's run away, or let's escape)
P116
considering that they don't have the treasure, it should be 'those', that's what I think.
The Japanese script for the seal part :
昔の人はとけたロウで封筒を封印していただろ?
なくさないように 指輪に印をしつらえることが多かったんだ
If you see the picture the 封印していただろ part would mean "to seal and also at the same time sign it".
Continuing to the second part, "So as not to lose it, they often install the seal/stamp(marking) on their ring" so I think it' refers to the seal/stamp.
If I change the wording it would be something like "So as not to lose the seal/stamp, they often engraved the insignia on their ring" (If they always wore the ring, the chance of the seal being lost would be minimum)
P117
“I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, that the magic lamp is in Japan means"
Those 2 lines above is my rough translation from the Japanese raw. For me, the existence of the magic lamp in Japan is actually supporting fact for his assumption that the holy ark is in Japan.
Because both the lamp and the ark have the same place of origin, that the ark through the same route of the lamp somehow ends up in Japan is also possible. Just like what Zadou suggest on the following page.

I use club because they use 高等部 (more or less "Senior High School Club")
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

jupiter_ringsid wrote:and the 2nd "Why do you suddenly become so angry?"
-> "Why are you suddenly so angry?" ?
jupiter_ringsid wrote:P116
considering that they don't have the treasure, it should be 'those', that's what I think.
Yeah it's "those".
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Anyways, anything else to edit/change? I would like to know what else there is LOLz!
Well... I want to know what to do about the "stamp thing" and the "holy ark & magic lamp in japan assumption thing".
In both cases, I think jupiter_ringsid is correct because it's more logical this way.
jupiter_ringsid wrote:P117
“I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, that the magic lamp is in Japan means"
->"I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, and since the magic lamp is in Japan,"
jupiter_ringsid wrote:Continuing to the second part, "So as not to lose it, they often install the seal/stamp(marking) on their ring" so I think it' refers to the seal/stamp.
If I change the wording it would be something like "So as not to lose the seal/stamp, they often engraved the insignia on their ring" (If they always wore the ring, the chance of the seal being lost would be minimum)
->"In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved it on their ring."
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

Chapter 5: http://www.mediafire.com/?t1ldzlmmyd0 <-- everything ok?
[edit: link deleted since it was not the final release]
ShadowZeroHeart

Vaelis wrote:
jupiter_ringsid wrote:and the 2nd "Why do you suddenly become so angry?"
-> "Why are you suddenly so angry?" ?
jupiter_ringsid wrote:P117
->"I originally speculated that the holy ark would be in Japan, and since the magic lamp is in Japan,"
jupiter_ringsid wrote:Continuing to the second part, "So as not to lose it, they often install the seal/stamp(marking) on their ring" so I think it' refers to the seal/stamp.
Why are you so angry suddenly/all of a sudden?

Well, it is definitely more logical in this manner.

The last part, "In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved it on their ring." seems wrong to me. The sequence is wrong. They engrave a insignia on their ring, and use that to seal the wax on the letter, not the other way round. By saying they engrave it on their ring, this seems as though if they send 20 letters, they will need 20 rings? ^^" And it would be to not lose the seal by the translation. It is the sealing wax that may be broken, and this is indesirable as this means people can read the letter, so its not the stamp. They are different. Stamp is what is pasted onto the envelop. The sealing wax is to prevent people from opening the letter, at least, to at least know if someone opened it before it reached the destination.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:The last part, "In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved it on their ring." seems wrong to me. The sequence is wrong. They engrave a insignia on their ring, and use that to seal the wax on the letter, not the other way round. By saying they engrave it on their ring, this seems as though if they send 20 letters, they will need 20 rings? ^^" And it would be to not lose the seal by the translation. It is the sealing wax that may be broken, and this is indesirable as this means people can read the letter, so its not the stamp. They are different. Stamp is what is pasted onto the envelop. The sealing wax is to prevent people from opening the letter, at least, to at least know if someone opened it before it reached the destination.
The stamp/seal can also designate the device to make them.
The ring is a "seal/stamp"
The insignia on the ring is also a "seal/stamp".
And what you put on the letter is also a "seal/stamp".

I know it's confusing ^^
ShadowZeroHeart

Still...
Vaelis wrote:"In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved it on their ring."
The stamp/seal can also designate the device to make them.
The ring is a "seal/stamp"
The insignia on the ring is also a "seal/stamp".
And what you put on the letter is also a "seal/stamp".
In order to not lose "the device to make the seal/stamp", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the ring", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the insignia on the ring", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the wax they put on the letter", they often engraved it on their ring.

None of these make sense? ^^"
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:In order to not lose "the device to make the seal/stamp", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the ring", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the insignia on the ring", they often engraved it on their ring.
In order to not lose "the wax they put on the letter", they often engraved it on their ring.

None of these make sense? ^^"
*don't understand the reply*
ShadowZeroHeart

Vaelis wrote:
Isnt this what you used?

The sentence doesnt make any sense...?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

I give up.

"In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved the seal on their ring." <-- is it ok or not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(device)
A seal can mean a wax seal bearing an impressed figure, or an embossed figure in paper, with the purpose of authenticating a document, but the term can also mean any device for making such impressions or embossments, essentially being a mould that has the mirror image of the figure in counter-relief, such as mounted on rings known as signet rings. This article is concerned with devices and methods for making such imprints.
The ring should be worn with the seal facing outwards to enable wax impressions without removing the ring.
ShadowZeroHeart

Vaelis wrote:I give up.

"In order to not lose the stamp, they often engraved the seal on their ring." <-- is it ok or not?
jupiter_ringsid wrote:昔の人はとけたロウで封筒を封印していただろ?
なくさないように 指輪に印をしつらえることが多かったんだ
If you see the picture the 封印していただろ part would mean "to seal and also at the same time sign it".
Continuing to the second part, "So as not to lose it, they often install the seal/stamp(marking) on their ring" so I think it' refers to the seal/stamp.
I believe maybe you got the wrong meaning...? Or am i misunderstanding the translation?

People in the past seal and sign the letter. So as not to lose it, they often install the seal/stamp/insignia of their ring onto the sealing wax.

They dont engrave a new marking on their ring, but imprints the insignia onto the sealing wax.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

It's the device to put the seal that they don't want to lose/be stolen...
They have always the ring on them, so that they can't lose it.

Or perhaps I didn't understand at all the translation

Return to “PuiPui”