Pui Pui Manga Translation

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

salv87
Astral Realm

Re: Pui Pui Manga Translation

Post by salv87 »

ah found it.. the ロウ.. didn't see it in katakana.. ok then..

well.. it still looks a bit out of the blue.. but all is understandable I guess..

1 more question though:
would it' be better to use "Didn't people of the .." it was in the past..
on the pic.. 封印 (ふういん) -to seal .. 封印してた ー sealed (as in past tense) If I understood correctly. So there's nothing about sgning in it ( If I'm not mistaken that is..)
だろ means smth like "right?" in this context..
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

Vaelis wrote:I've put the script for chapter 5 on the wiki.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... 1_Chapter5

If people could edit it to improve it before I typeset it, it would be great.
I did some editing Vaelis, although you might want to change some stuff back. Use whatever you like, just let me know what you think so I can keep it in mind during future editing.

[Edit. Oh wait, did you already finalize ch 5? I'm slow at these things...]
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

salv87 wrote: on the pic.. 封印 (ふういん) -to seal .. 封印してた ー sealed (as in past tense) If I understood correctly. So there's nothing about sgning in it ( If I'm not mistaken that is..)
だろ means smth like "right?" in this context..
You're thinking the meaning of sealing on modern context. Besides, the author could just use 封じる if the letter is sealed without marking it. And if you break down the kanji, 封 means seal/closing, 印 means stamp/seal/mark/imprint/symbol/emblem etc.
But anyway, the one used in the manga is pretty good I think, although it may sound a little bit weird. But it can't be helped, since the translation involves understanding the Japanese culture of using a hanko (signature stamp) and the old/historical practice of using a signet ring to seal letters.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I am not sure if you really should break the words down like that. But I am still thinking that the author is trying to link it back to how Solomon's ring can seal demons and such. Similarly, a ring can seal the letter in the same manner, thus the 封印 instead of 封じる... Besides, I think 封じる may be giving off a meaning more similar to closing, rather than sealing? Though I must agree that the letter is "signed" when the insignia is imprinted on the sealing wax.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Though I must agree that the letter is "signed" when the insignia is imprinted on the sealing wax.
If that is what "signed" means then I would agree.. since people who had their own stamps had individual insignia..
don't know about signing as in writing their names or signature..
ShadowZeroHeart

from dictionary.com, the meaning of sign

18. to mark with a sign, esp. the sign of the cross.

I believe it is something similar to this context?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Well, at least I didn't get the impression that the author wanted to link back to how Solomon's ring can seal demons and such. Similarly, a ring can seal the letter in the same manner.
The impression I got was that the author wanted to say that Solomon's ring was not just some mere jewelry, Solomon's ring refers specifically to Solomon's signet ring. But then again, it's just my interpretation, we'll need to ask the author what he really meant there if we wanted to know for sure.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

maybe there's info on it in the light novel? somedy looked tere maybe?
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Ha ha... I forgot that I do have the Japanese novel.
It's the seal/stamp. In the novel it's clearly written, "Hanko o nakusanai youni"
The novel use a more elaborate description. "When olden people close their letter, they spilled wax, and press a stamp(hanko) from above, right?"
"So as not to lose the stamp (hanko), olden people often installed it on their ring." No doubt that 'it' refers to the stamp(hanko)
"This is the sealing ring, and King Solomon use this ring to seal demon into brass pot ....."
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

now that fully makes sence ^_^
ShadowZeroHeart

The main purpose of the ring is to seal(demons). When olden people finish writing their letters, don't they drip wax onto it and stamp the letter from above to seal the letter? In order to not lose this stamp, the people usually engrave it on their rings. This is the sealing ring, it is said that when King Solomon seals demons in a brass pot, he would seal(as in close) up the opening of the pot and then use the insignia of the ring to seal it(the demon) up. When he feels like it, he would release the seal and summon the demons to serve him.

Entire extract translated from Chinese novel text. Comparing these, yeah, I guess I am wrong...
Though i must say...
stamp.JPG
It says here very clearly it is the envelope ~.~ "信封" = envelope
and as mentioned in an earlier post, it is different from the novel.
I am guessing the chinese manga made a translation error in this case... ~.~ so much for my trust in it...

I been thinking it over and over... and I cannot see the link well in the manga itself. The earlier box talks about how Solomon tames demons by sealing them. If you only mention that "In order to not lose the stamp, they would engrave the marking on the ring." after the previous box, and following this box is about how Sierra's family got to Japan, the links seems somewhat messed up. I am thinking maybe the entire page is best translated from Japanese. Or else things may go awkward.

P.S. so basically they are saying that the signet rings follow after Solomon's ring right? I believe this is the case, since Solomon's time is 1000BC to 931BC while sealing wax is only used later on in the 16th century.
Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealing_wax

EDIT:
I FINALLY REALISED WHY I HAVE THAT TINGLING FEELING I HAVE BEEN HAVING!!!
Solomon's ring is a signet ring that possesses magical powers. However, it is not a seal engraved onto the ring. As the ring was bestowed upon Solomon as a ring itself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_of_Solomon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Solomon
So it does not make sense that the seal of solomon is engraved upon solomon's ring so as not to lose it. So that is why i strongly believe that it is that rings have power of sealing. Thus, people engrave on the rings to use on sealing wax later on.

And as this is a manga, the details of the text is not as elaborate as the novel itself. Therefore if you try to include these reasonings without a clear enough explanation, it would seem awkward(at least to me). From the previous discussions, this is the flow of the manga...

"Demons are sealed and tamed by Solomon's Ring"
"Olden people use wax to seal their letters. In order to not lose the stamp, they engrave on rings."
"Sierra's family was probably sealed in their lamp and travelled to Japan."

And the one in the centre, is what Hayate would call "Useless knowledge". Since it bears no relevance to the story. As Solomon's ring was not engraved, but somehow existed in that manner?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Yes, as I've said the novel use a more elaborate description. And that description is cut short, really really short, in the manga that the flow is somewhat messed up. I guess it would be best if the Pui Pui novel translation project is further along the story than the manga so that we could easily solve this kind of problem.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

SZH it seem's to me that it was not the chinese trasnalation at fault. rather the manga itself was written a bit messed up.
At least to our understanding..
ShadowZeroHeart

The raw manga was messed up, over summarised... But I cannot say that... Since I cannot read Japanese, I can only rely on the text i can read ^^"

So, I was wondering, maybe we should input our own words into the box instead?

For example.

Don't people of olden days seals letters with sealing wax and signet rings?
This is an imitation of the way Solomon seals demons into pots.

Or something? What do you guys think?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

We could just use the line used in the novel, it may be a little bit lengthy, but at least it's clearer that way.

Return to “PuiPui”