PuiPui novels discussion!!!

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

salv87
Astral Realm

Re: PuiPui novels discussion!!!

Post by salv87 »

SZH, maybe these?
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... 1_Chapter2

I think it's normal to ask questions on the discussion pages, no? ^_^
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Yes, just that i never do look at those pages LOLz.

Sorry to say so, but my chinese text is a little different compared to the japanese i believe, so after reading some of the questions, i think it is best to not use my standards in this case. Sorry I cannot be of much help.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Sorry about the delay Akira... :mrgreen:

Anyway, here are my 'well thought out' answers:
"But you know my embarrassing secret, so you'll have to go away"

Just a guess, but is "go away" better translated as 'disappear'?
Yes, I think it should be fine to use disappear.
"Letting out his breath, Jin all of a sudden started to worry about his things."

'Sighing, Jin suddenly started to worry about his things.'

The former is the original, the latter my suggestion. Your version is grammatically correct, though it can be simplified. How much leeway do you want to give me in terms of making sentences more elegant?
The context for this isn't exactly sighing, as that word gives a feeling of relief, or tiredness. What we're going for is him exhaling, at the same time as he is doing that, he comes to remember about his things, so there's a bit of a change in the emotion of him letting out the breath, and it has more of a worried, exasperated feel to it...I don't know how to word that...I kind of don't like sighing...but hmmm..what about just "exhaling?" like you know, when you remember something, and exhale with that sense of "oh crap"...."Exhaling, Jin began to worry about his things." what do you think of that?
“Thank junk, you don't need it.”

Is this some kind of play on words?
whoops..."thank" should be "that" ^_^
This is just semantics but, "Treasure of Solomon" vs 'Solomon's Treasure'? Why one over the other?
Let's go with Solomon's Treasure. From here on I'll try to write it that way as well. sorry for not keeping it the same :)
"Ukyou waved his bamboo katana around angrily. He was usually always angry, but it was the first time Jin had seen the usually calm Ukyou with blood pulsing in his face."

"usually always" is redundant.
"usually calm" contradicts "usually angry."
Yep, totally don't need it :). Let's go with 'usually angry'. Also, it seems a bit weird...you get the point though that Ukyou is usually anger, but calm about it, so this is the first time he actually seems to be portraying his anger, right? I just think I worded it a little wierd...what do you think?
"It's the same for me as the parents, that I have to watch over the lives of each of the boarding students."

Unclear to me.
Ukyou is trying to say how he has to act like the parents would act, as all the guys live together in a dorm. The parents aren't there to take care of them, so Ukyou does. That's what he's trying to say. To redund-ify ^_^, Ukyou acts as the parents of the boarding students, as they are...boarding...as the parents cannot live with their children while they go to the dorm.

I think that's everything so far...if there's anything else, let me know :)

Also, thanks Akira, you're editing is really helpful :)
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

The other suggestions sound good.
Yep, totally don't need it :). Let's go with 'usually angry'. Also, it seems a bit weird...you get the point though that Ukyou is usually anger, but calm about it, so this is the first time he actually seems to be portraying his anger, right? I just think I worded it a little wierd...what do you think?
How about: "He was always angry, but it was the first time Jin had seen the usually level-headed Ukyou with blood pulsing in his face."

Ukyou is trying to say how he has to act like the parents would act, as all the guys live together in a dorm. The parents aren't there to take care of them, so Ukyou does. That's what he's trying to say. To redund-ify ^_^, Ukyou acts as the parents of the boarding students, as they are...boarding...as the parents cannot live with their children while they go to the dorm.
I'm thinking: "Just like your guys' parents, I have to watch over the lives of each of the boarding students."

Also, thanks Akira, you're editing is really helpful :)
Your welcome, thanks for translating.
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote:
"Ukyou waved his bamboo katana around angrily. He was usually always angry, but it was the first time Jin had seen the usually calm Ukyou with blood pulsing in his face."

"usually always" is redundant.
"usually calm" contradicts "usually angry."
Sorry, I just saw this post and felt a little strange... What is a bamboo katana? I heard of bamboo sword/blade, but not bamboo katana... Is there such a term?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

How about: "He was always angry, but it was the first time Jin had seen the usually level-headed Ukyou with blood pulsing in his face."
I like it :)
I'm thinking: "Just like your guys' parents, I have to watch over the lives of each of the boarding students."
I like it too :)
Your welcome, thanks for translating.
symbiotic relationship! wait...that's not it...or is it :twisted:
Sorry, I just saw this post and felt a little strange... What is a bamboo katana? I heard of bamboo sword/blade, but not bamboo katana... Is there such a term?
The word here in the Japanese novel was: 竹刀 (しない) the first kanji means bamboo, and the second means sword...the reason I translated it as katana, is because that second symbol in japanese is read as katana, and that's the japanese word for a japanese styled sword...but now that I think of it, I probably didn't need to do that, sword would have been fine :). I'll change it in a bit.
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

In my oppinion you can actually leave it as shinai,it sounds ok, and I think people would understand it.
Well, just in case you can add a reference, smth like this.
It does say that the kanji mean "bamboo sword", so it's your pick.
ShadowZeroHeart

The thing is, there is no such thing as a bamboo katana, the reason being... (from wiki)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana
A katana (刀, katana?) is a type of Japanese sword (nihontō), and is often called a "samurai sword." The term katana may be applied to any curved Japanese sword with a blade length of greater than 60 cm (23.6 inches).[1] The term is sometimes incorrectly used as a generic name for any kind of Japanese sword.
And bamboos from what I know, cannot form curved blades? Katana are usually long and relatively thin from what I know... So I am guessing that expression may be wrong.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
salv87
Astral Realm

Post by salv87 »

hmm.. I think that we agreed that it would be better to use bamboo sword or simply leave shinai.
What SZH told is right, it wouldn't be correct to call it a katana.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

and Wikipedia once again reveals my still struggling japanese ability.../cry...:(

i guess let's go with bamboo sword...shinai is okay, but..."waving the shinai above his head...." or "waving the bamboo sword above his head...." maybe it's just me, but it seems 'bamboo sword' settles everything, and nobody needs to lookup meanings. (though shinai if used in context would be understood anyway...but only if you called it a bamboo sword earlier..idk..

in conclusion:

do whatever you guys want :). I'll know what it means, so whatever will help the common man. :mrgreen:
Akirasav
Astral Realm

Post by Akirasav »

No worries, this is what editors are for. Your job is just to get the translation readable so the rest of us can understand it somewhat.
ShadowZeroHeart

Now I feel bad for asking that question... Krikit seems so sad >"< SORRY!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

Krikit wrote:and Wikipedia once again reveals my still struggling japanese ability.../cry...:(

i guess let's go with bamboo sword...shinai is okay, but..."waving the shinai above his head...." or "waving the bamboo sword above his head...." maybe it's just me, but it seems 'bamboo sword' settles everything, and nobody needs to lookup meanings. (though shinai if used in context would be understood anyway...but only if you called it a bamboo sword earlier..idk..

in conclusion:

do whatever you guys want :). I'll know what it means, so whatever will help the common man. :mrgreen:
No, not your Japanese ability, to know about shinai you need to know about Kendou, something that I don't think you'll learn from a language class.
The kanji of shinai use bamboo and katana's kanji, because it is a training sword made of bamboo, and in Kendou, you treat a shinai just like a katana, there is the sharp side, and the dull side.
I was in a Kendou club a few years ago, so I now a little bit.
Anyway, I think it's better to use shinai and give the wiki links instead of using bamboo sword, since it will give the readers some more background information. (though it's up to them to read it or not)
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Kendo Guy! ... /bow m(_ _)m

We'll go with that then I guess. I think there were two references in chapter 2 to the shinai, so they just need to be edited from 'bamboo xxx ---> shinai"

working on the next part today, because I really have no better way to spend christmas...though I do Skype family at 10pm my time here, 8am their time christmas morning :)

...hmmm...what should I eat for dinner tonight.... :?:
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote: ...hmmm...what should I eat for dinner tonight.... :?:
Bamboo, like a panda
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,