Translation Questions

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Translation Questions

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Like the one for shana, I figured a nice thread where we can ask questions of people who might know the answers might be a good idea. Especially for me, since I'm doing worse on this one than usual--I haven't even finished the first page yet(mostly because I'm short on time, but also mostly because I'm reaaaaaly slow and reaaaly not that great at this.)

Anyway, as a nice question to open up the thread, I have a couple kanji with furigana I can't make heads or tails of. Especially since I can't find the kanji and I'm either reading the furigana wrong or they were incorrect in the manga.

I'm reading the furi as りようちよう. Did I simply mess up, or is there some deep meaning?

Thanks, as usual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Re: Translation Questions

Post by jupiter_ringsid »

It's りょうちょう
Dormitory head/leader/superintendent
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Dorm head from the translated manga.
I had some difficulties myself... separate the words to find that the first talks about a dorm, the second talks about something like the chief, or the higher/highest authority of a place. So i just googled and used dorm head. Any better suggestions are fine(for the novel. Keep dorm head in the manga for consistency?)
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I'm probably going to start using this place a little more often as well. By the way BtTC, you are starting on Chapter 6 right? And you've read 1-5 so far?

I just want to say that hopefully we'll be able to move at around the same pace, now that the Shadow has vanished upon the bringing of the almighty :idea: . :) Anyway, I'm hoping we'll get to a point where I catch up with where you're at, and we can help each other move along :).
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote:I'm probably going to start using this place a little more often as well. By the way BtTC, you are starting on Chapter 6 right? And you've read 1-5 so far?

I just want to say that hopefully we'll be able to move at around the same pace, now that the Shadow has vanished upon the bringing of the almighty :idea: . :) Anyway, I'm hoping we'll get to a point where I catch up with where you're at, and we can help each other move along :).
I can do one chapter of the manga in a day ^^" Yet the novel would take close to a month for me to get to a similar place. If i go at it non-stop, at least 5days to a week. You shouldnt aim to meet up with the manga with novel translations.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Krikit wrote:I'm probably going to start using this place a little more often as well. By the way BtTC, you are starting on Chapter 6 right? And you've read 1-5 so far?

I'm expecting to be going at no more than a chapter a month, probably starting at only a few pages this month and increasing as I get better at this.
So, yes, you should easily be able to keep up quite easily.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Beware the talking cat wrote:I'm expecting to be going at no more than a chapter a month, probably starting at only a few pages this month and increasing as I get better at this. So, yes, you should easily be able to keep up quite easily.
A chapter a month ? Noooooo...... or so I would say if I couldn't read the raw manga. But do feel sorry for those out there who have to wait for a month for the next chapter. No pressure though, just do it on your own pace. I don't have the time needed to be a dedicated translator, but I'll help as much as I can.
ShadowZeroHeart

Beware the talking cat wrote:

I'm expecting to be going at no more than a chapter a month, probably starting at only a few pages this month and increasing as I get better at this.
So, yes, you should easily be able to keep up quite easily.
Wahaha, there was another reason why i worked so fast.
Manga has relatively fewer words. And each chapter is not really that long(compared to novel).
(I have translations to get back to, so I wanted to just finish it up once and for all.)

Well, time is now on Krikit's side. Lets see how fast and good can you do LOLz!

P.S. sorry Krikit, havent really proofread your translations yet. I have been trying to get myself to work on SnS... Somehow it is hard to get back to translation with so many new anime girls and all waving at me and such... Must... Resist... Temptation... ARGH!!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Hmm... this time, the translation question comes from the reader.
Is this line :
"愛花には小さいころからいつもやっていたので、同じ呪文でも、そんなにごっ恥ずかしくは感じない。陣は淡々と、呪文を唱え終える。" (Somewhere at the end of page 74 in the Japanese raw)
was translated to :
"Remembering where it came from as he said it to her, somehow saying the spell to Aika didn't seem as embarrassing as before. On a soft note Jin finished off the incantation. "
Trabius
Astral Realm

Post by Trabius »

jupiter_ringsid wrote:Hmm... this time, the translation question comes from the reader.
Is this line :
"愛花には小さいころからいつもやっていたので、同じ呪文でも、そんなにごっ恥ずかしくは感じない。陣は淡々と、呪文を唱え終える。" (Somewhere at the end of page 74 in the Japanese raw)
was translated to :
"Remembering where it came from as he said it to her, somehow saying the spell to Aika didn't seem as embarrassing as before. On a soft note Jin finished off the incantation. "
It sounds okay to me. I'm guessing you want a more concrete translation? It probably won't sound very good though.

"Having often done the spell for her when she was younger, even though it was the same chant, he didn't feel the same sort of embarrassment with Aika. Jin thought nothing of it as he finished the incantation."

So maybe change it a little:
"Remembering how he used to often say the chant to her, saying the spell to Aika at least didn't seem as embarrassing. On a soft note Jin finished off the incantation."

Just some suggestions, but it doesn't really need to be changed.
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Well. I'm asking it because I read the raw first (finished almost half of book 1 now), and when I read that line, I thought "Huh, I didn't know this line, did I misread the novel?" or in other word, I thought that the essence of the Japanese and the English line differs.
The idea that I got from the novel : Jin is used to chant the spell for Aika, so he said the spell as if it's something normal (and he doesn't have to feel embarrassed)
while from the translation : Jin remembers the origin of the spell (it's the spell to gauge the master's satisfaction level towards his/her genie), so saying it to Aika doesn't feel as embarrassing as before (''before" refers to "the Sierra encounter" or "when he chanted it to Aika before"?)

And from both of these translations
"Having often done the spell for her when she was younger, even though it was the same chant, he didn't feel the same sort of embarrassment with Aika. Jin thought nothing of it as he finished the incantation."
"Remembering how he used to often say the chant to her, saying the spell to Aika at least didn't seem as embarrassing. On a soft note Jin finished off the incantation."
The first one is, of course, exactly what I read in the novel. While for the second, although it's not a word-by-word translation, it still got more or less the same idea.

I'm just stating my opinion, but the decision is still up to those who work on the project.
ShadowZeroHeart

jupiter_ringsid wrote:Well. I'm asking it because I read the raw first (finished almost half of book 1 now), and when I read that line, I thought "Huh, I didn't know this line, did I misread the novel?" or in other word, I thought that the essence of the Japanese and the English line differs.
The idea that I got from the novel : Jin is used to chant the spell for Aika, so he said the spell as if it's something normal (and he doesn't have to feel embarrassed)
while from the translation : Jin remembers the origin of the spell (it's the spell to gauge the master's satisfaction level towards his/her genie), so saying it to Aika doesn't feel as embarrassing as before (''before" refers to "the Sierra encounter" or "when he chanted it to Aika before"?)

And from both of these translations
The first one is, of course, exactly what I read in the novel. While for the second, although it's not a word-by-word translation, it still got more or less the same idea.

I'm just stating my opinion, but the decision is still up to those who work on the project.
Cut Krikit some slack... He is not perfect, but at least he is working hard and improving. If i ever find the time, i will do a proof-read with my chinese text. Or would you prefer doing that? ^^ It would be a great help.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Am I being to hard? Ok, no more question then. And about the proof reading, I'd do that if I have the time and skill (which I don't).
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

JUPITER!! DON'T YOU DARE SAY:
Ok, no more question then.
Sorry for the Caps :). Anyway, I wasn't man enough, but i was a bit confused there, so made up my own stuff with the best I could do...but yeah, going through and double checking helps a lot. The English I chose could also be doctored up..anyway, I'm going to edit it for better context. Really, thanks for taking the time to double check my translations. I'm definitely still learning, and for a while, I'm probably going to be getting alot of stuff mixed up like this. I'm just glad that A) someone is willing to help find my miss-translated sentences, and B) that was so far the worst I've done :mrgreen: I'm laughing here wondering how I blundered my way through most of this so far :). (well, blundered..but long periods in front of the computer.)

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope you'll keep doing this if you can manage the time. I'm a bit jealous though that you can read this, and you're farther than me... :evil:

Anyway, going to edit now.
jupiter_ringsid
Astral Realm

Didn't intend to double check your translation, actually I intended to check mine. Well, I'll try to read your translation after I finish reading chapter 3.

Return to “PuiPui”